The discovery thread!
Feb 17, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #21,991 of 100,105

Wow, 2 weeks 
blink.gif

Ok I'll take note of that 
wink_face.gif

I'm not against burn-in. It does change sound signature. I just think it should have been done in the factory. Rather then wasting users time...
Premium product should be at optimum sound out of the box. If it still requires burn-in, that means the manufacturer hasn't done their homework, and sell it as an unfinished product, not really ready to deliver optimum sound out of the box.

It is not really practical for manufacturers to preburn in their phones. Some do some don't. I think most don't it is just extra time put into the bottom line of the end product.  Nuforce web site mentions that their phones need burn in as a special message to the consumer so at least they let people know this. 

You would be surprised. My SRH1540 is the same way. Big bass on open box and burn in tames the bass end. Kinda half adjusting to the sound and half physical lowering of bass. It all depends on which phone though as some cans just don't change at all with burn in but most that I have owned do improve in one way or another with burn in. There are some phones that actually get worse with burn in before they improve. It is kinda whacky but for the most part I personally think the improvements are worth it. I have a dedicated burn in station in my basement. I always have phones connected to my station always.

People with the AD900X or any AT or JVC phone for that matter.  Burn in is a must. Which got me thinking.. I noticed my Doppios improved a lot with burn in. The bass end especially. I am wondering if them IMXX phones got any burn in time.  Burn in for BAs are a bit different than dynamics in that their sound become more fuller vs dynamics become tighter in sound.

Feb 17, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #21,992 of 100,105

You would be surprised. My SRH1540 is the same way. Big bass on open box and burn in tames the bass end. Kinda half adjusting to the sound and half physical lowering of bass. It all depends on which phone though as some cans just don't change at all with burn in but most that I have owned do improve in one way or another with burn in. There are some phones that actually get worse with burn in before they improve. It is kinda whacky but for the most part I personally think the improvements are worth it. I have a dedicated burn in station in my basement. I always have phones connected to my station always.

People with the AD900X or any AT or JVC phone for that matter.  Burn in is a must. Which got me thinking.. I noticed my Doppios improved a lot with burn in. The bass end especially. I am wondering if them IMXX phones got any burn in time.. And yes BAs do need burn in. 

Right. My JVC FXD80 one model requires long burn-in, at least 100 hours or more for getting open and spacious sound.  My ATH-CKN50 doesn't sound better after burn-in, maybe even better before burn-in...

Feb 17, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #21,993 of 100,105
In any case it is good to see you posting on the discovery thread. I do look forward to more reviews from you there earfonia. You have helped a lot of headfiers get an idea of them AT earphones and that would be a nice contribution to these threads. It is late by my neck of the woods so to everyone a good night and may everyone dream about owning your ultimate end game sound.. 

Feb 17, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #21,994 of 100,105
  I told you so! (about the im-02s that is).

Either way though, I can only approve of the SQ of the im-02's if it beats the fostex. Will hopefully buy it this week.

Yep, that sounds like an interesting comparo, the IM-02 vs. the Fostex. I also thought the IM-02(stock) vs. the IM-70 with the titanium cable is an interesting comparison since then the two are the same price.   

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #21,995 of 100,105
  Our good buddy Ericp will tell you.. He sold off his DN-1Ks. Says he don't listen to them as much as his H3. DN-1Ks for the price seem to be a solid choice but for guys that want to hear one of Sony's nicest sounding earphones. The H3 are it.

Believe me if you guys heard what these H3s sounds like through my ICON or 2 step. It will put a smile on your face from ear to ear. They sound great through the X3 or DX50 but the H3s love juice.. 

Oh and I think Ericp and Danny will agree..The H3 need some solid burn time. The bass become completely tight opening up what is a finely tuned mid section of the H3... No tape mod needed.

X2    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  What he said!!! I agree. 
beerchug.gif

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #21,997 of 100,105
The Fostex TE-05. I don't think I ever really known what reference sound is suppose to sound like. I always thought it was something like the RE-400 or  HF5 (bother have glorious mids and treble, but severely lacking on bass). Well, the Fostex is a different beast. Yes, the mids are nice (not too forward or richly thick like the V, but not thin either), treble is just short of being harsh to my ears (great extension), and it has bass. I mean bass you can feel. Not basshead levels, and the bass is not always sticking its head out depending on the recording, but usually it is. And that makes the Fostex a very special earphone to me. thickness of the sound is somewhere in between the GR-7/Doppios and IM70 (leaning toward more thick than lean in sound). 

IM70s is still the thickest sound I've heard in a in dual dynamic, and the bass has settled down marvelously! It's still a strong mids iem with great bass and highs. The V is more lusher, richer, refined, and thick in the mids than the IM70, but with less bass and less highs. I've stated earlier that it's what I dreamed the RE-262 or RE-400 sounded like, because it definitely has that bass kick I like (although it is less than the IM70). I can't add anything more to the H3 than what Ds already stated. 

So my earphone rotation now is mainly H3, TE-05, IM70 and V (depending on my mood). I do get the DN-900, AX30, and AX35 in somewhat, but now a lot. I'm talking about universal earphone rotation.

At home, however, I do the AS-2 quite a bit and V6. And I also get my headphones some good time over the weekend, especially the HP50, On1, and X1. The TE-05 is with me today at work. I think I have all sound sigs covered that I really like. Fighting hard, however, not to buy the FX850 (never heard a better timbre than that all wood driver earphone). This may be a losing battle. :frowning2:

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #21,998 of 100,105
Great write up Eric.

Which of the im70 and the te-05 would you say compliment ax35 and the Gratitude's best, or are they to different to pick one?

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #21,999 of 100,105
The Fostex TE-05. I don't think I ever really known what reference sound is suppose to sound like. I always thought it was something like the RE-400 or  HF5 (bother have glorious mids and treble, but severely lacking on bass). Well, the Fostex is a different beast. Yes, the mids are nice (not too forward or richly thick like the V, but not thin either), treble is just short of being harsh to my ears (great extension), and it has bass. I mean bass you can feel. Not basshead levels, and the bass is not always sticking its head out depending on the recording, but usually it is. And that makes the Fostex a very special earphone to me. thickness of the sound is somewhere in between the GR-7/Doppios and IM70 (leaning toward more thick than lean in sound). 

IM70s is still the thickest sound I've heard in a in dual dynamic, and the bass has settled down marvelously! It's still a strong mids iem with great bass and highs. The V is more lusher, richer, refined, and thick in the mids than the IM70, but with less bass and less highs. I've stated earlier that it's what I dreamed the RE-262 or RE-400 sounded like, because it definitely has that bass kick I like (although it is less than the IM70). I can't add anything more to the H3 than what Ds already stated. 

So my earphone rotation now is mainly H3, TE-05, IM70 and V (depending on my mood). I do get the DN-900, AX30, and AX35 in somewhat, but now a lot. I'm talking about universal earphone rotation.

At home, however, I do the AS-2 quite a bit and V6. And I also get my headphones some good time over the weekend, especially the HP50, On1, and X1. The TE-05 is with me today at work. I think I have all sound sigs covered that I really like. Fighting hard, however, not to buy the FX850 (never heard a better timbre than that all wood driver earphone). This may be a losing battle. :frowning2:
In regards to "reference sound", I quote Curra LINK. Just go with whatever sounds the most natural and "right" to you. Make that your ref point and judge all others from there. Just my .02. :)

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #22,000 of 100,105

How's the speed on them there TE-05's, Eric, compared to the Doppios, IM70, and V?
smile.gif

Great treble extension is good but what about the bass extension now that you have some hours on them?

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #22,001 of 100,105

How's the speed on them there TE-05's, Eric, compared to the Doppios, IM70, and V?
smile.gif

Great treble extension is good but what about the bass extension now that you have some hours on them?

Speed is great on the TE-05. As mochill stated last week, it's like a hybrid sound Bass extension is also great. The bass goes low. Very low and deep when called for.

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #22,002 of 100,105
Great write up Eric.

Which of the im70 and the te-05 would you say compliment ax35 and the Gratitude's best, or are they to different to pick one?

I never heard the Gratitude. And to be honest peter123, I don't know if I can answer the question. The three sound so different from each other. I think the AX35 is the most neutral of the three, and the bass doesn't extend in the AX35 as it does in the TE-05.

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #22,003 of 100,105
Thanks Eric, I was afraid that would be the answer:wink: The TE-05's are really intriguing though.

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #22,005 of 100,105

I never heard the Gratitude. And to be honest peter123, I don't know if I can answer the question. The three sound so different from each other. I think the AX35 is the most neutral of the three, and the bass doesn't extend in the AX35 as it does in the TE-05.

how less neutral is the TE-05?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back