The discovery thread!
Feb 16, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #21,961 of 100,119
Love my Yamahas as well. Glad you dig em. These don't get the attention of the big names but they deserve it. Mine gets used all the time as they are attached to one of my main desktops.

Even with my X1 and SRH1540 right next to em they get their turn with music in my rotation..I hope Yamaha makes a full sized open can one of these days. If so I will be in line to get one.

So a little update on the V aging. These amp really well and my thoughts of how BAs not amping as well as Dynamics has changed somewhat because of the aging. Out of the ICON dac it becomes a new beast of an earphone. Them smooth lushious mids are all over your face. These are a vocal lovers iem for certain. The forward mids makes vocals shine like crazy..

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #21,962 of 100,119
     Wow...so long since I last stepped foot in here. I guess the HPH-200 is getting some love now, huh? Strange how it's just there at many electronics stores and only now did Mister Dz praise these. Really, really strange. Still, I actually want one of these as a good portable can -- the "pillows on your head" statement took me away. And only for $100? Color me impressed.

Been always wanting a Yammie can...but never had the money to purchase one. I guess this might be it.

EDIT: Got to test their new HPH-M82 at Sundan yesterday. Looks like Yamaha's turning to the style department to take the lead this time around. But even though it's a Yammy (always loved the brand and alla their s't), I was not impressed by the headphones. They seemed to have a higher impedance than all of the other headphones there on display (HD205, P3, P5, DNA, Sony MA900), and even then, I wasn't blown away by the sound. I couldn't recall much, but it had a pretty harsh upper midrange. I was impressed by the MA900, though. It had this really powerful bass kick for an open can. I went What when I listened to a couple of test tracks.

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #21,963 of 100,119
       Wow...so long since I last stepped foot in here. I guess the HPH-200 is getting some love now, huh? Strange how it's just there at many electronics stores and only now did Mister Dz praise these. Really, really strange. Still, I actually want one of these as a good portable can -- the "pillows on your head" statement took me away. And only for $100? Color me impressed.

Been always wanting a Yammie can...but never had the money to purchase one. I guess this might be it.

get both the yamahas and mikros. They're both awesome headphones together.

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #21,964 of 100,119

Be careful - the bass has a huge drop-off below 100Hz:

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #21,965 of 100,119

Please note, although HPH-200 sounds good, the creaking headband is quite annoying 
confused_face.gif

I have HPH-200 for about 6 months. They need low output impedance to reveal the dynamic. It doesn't really shines with iPod classic 6th gen that has around 5 ohms Out Z.

But creaking headband is the real annoying problem for me.  I will try to open the headband to put some grease of lubricant there to remove the creaking headband noise 
confused_face.gif

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #21,966 of 100,119

Please note, although HPH-200 sounds good, the creaking headband is quite annoying 
confused_face.gif

I have HPH-200 for about 6 months. They need low output impedance to reveal the dynamic. It doesn't really shines with iPod classic 6th gen that has around 5 ohms Out Z.

But creaking headband is the real annoying problem for me.  I will try to open the headband to put some grease of lubricant there to remove the creaking headband noise 
confused_face.gif

Hey I enjoyed your ATH- IMXX reviews. shed some light on the new AT phones. I am curious about the IM03 myself. From yours and vlenbos descriptions of the IM02 they seem to have a very similar sound to my Zero Audio Doppios. Would be interesting to compare the two.

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #21,967 of 100,119

Hey I enjoyed your ATH- IMXX reviews. shed some light on the new AT phones. I am curious about the IM03 myself. From yours and vlenbos descriptions of the IM02 they seem to have a very similar sound to my Zero Audio Doppios. Would be interesting to compare the two.

Thanks! BTW great review of the Yamaha HPH-200!
I love my HPH-200 too!  They really improved by the amp / source that drives it. But the creaking noisy headband must be fix 
confused_face.gif

I'm curious with Zero Audio Doppios, haven't got chance to try it, and never seen it in Singapore, where I live.
IM02 is really a special IEM from AT. pair it right, and wow! They virtually display the music 
bigsmile_face.gif

Detail, clarity and transparency are so good and very realistic. Best 3D imaging from the series. But be careful of what you pair it with, it's rather picky with the player.

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #21,968 of 100,119
The Doppios are the same way.. Their 12 ohm sensitivity makes them very picky about what sources you listen to them with. The doppios actually sound better with weaker stock sources than anything amped with more power. 

Feb 16, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #21,969 of 100,119
Speaking of AT phones. This is interesting. These were ATs dynamic flagship models the CKM1000..

I see these on sale now for $150-$160 often on Amazon Japan.  A former $500 phone being sold for these prices seems like a good deal. I am half way tempted to try a pair as I do still enjoy my CKM99. These would be a nice upgrade on the CKM99s. Which are now being sold for around $80 on Amazon Japan.

Feb 16, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #21,972 of 100,119
Don't know if these are gonna be an upgrade from my H3s though but I bet they sound nice none the less. I am less sensitive with peaky stuff as long as it don't poke a hole in my ears. The CKM1000 seems to have the older AT tuning..

I am saving my cash for a little something something. Hmmm

Freaking Light Harmonics Geek stuff seems to be taking what is forever for them to deliver the dacs....Forever I say!!

Feb 16, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #21,973 of 100,119
speaking of HARMAN 
tongue.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-CL-Precision-Headphones/dp/B00A3RVNXI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392611621&sr=8-1&keywords=harman+headphones

did anyone audition these yet? These are selling for $100!

can't wait to hear the next big thing from you ds!

Feb 16, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #21,975 of 100,119
If I remember correctly, Stephen Mejas (I think it was him, he's been on the headphone beat there recently) at Sterophile Gave the CL's really good reviews, another of these cans I've had in a cart at some site or other but pulled at the last minute, worth a try imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back