The discovery thread!
Feb 15, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #21,931 of 101,882
  http://www.head-fi.org/t/705687/review-of-audio-technica-ath-im01-ath-im02-ath-im03-ath-im04-ath-im50-ath-im70

this headfier rocks!

Finally, someone else that had the chance to hear the im-02s!

Now I HAVE to get the fostex to compare. The hilarious part is, it's only $20 cheaper than the audio technica. 
tongue.gif

Thanks vlenbo. That's the best review I think I've seen. I also enjoyed his HifiMeDiy Sabre USB DAC (UAE23) and AudioQuest DragonFly - Brief Comparison (very relevant if you are thinking of using the hifimediy dac for the new ATH iems).

Feb 15, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #21,932 of 101,882
Feb 15, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #21,933 of 101,882
I think his measurements and finding that the output was high is why I'll avoid plugging HPs directly into dacs. Most of the time, it's a "cheap" amp since they kinda expect you to chain into an amp.

Quite right.

Feb 15, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #21,939 of 101,882
Interesting - so you consider the Dunus better objectively speaking, but you subjectively prefer the Astrotecs?

Don't know how to answer this. Let me answer this way: best hybrid universals I've heard (in order of best first): H3, ASG-2, DN-1000..... The rest I haven't decided where each fit in the hierarchy. They're all very close (Audiofly being the worst of the lot and not in the same league as any of the others).

Interesting...have the ASG-2 on my radar for a while. By your rankings, the H3, which is about half the price of the ASG-2, even bought through Amazon now, ranks higher. That would make it a pretty good bargain!

Feb 15, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #21,940 of 101,882
Care to compare the asg2 vs sony hf3?  I love the asg2 (especially with sennheiser biflange tips), but have been curious about Sonys.  Also waiting to find info on "upgraded" asg2 program, possibly adjusting for more subbase than mid (would be perfect for me then)

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #21,941 of 101,882
Pairing a dac with amp is fine. I said I wouldn't plug in HPs DIRECTLY into the DAC..... IF YOU'D READ INSTEAD OF STRAIT TROLLIN'!!
mad.gif

E: How is the Vali? Worth the 80?? Ringing???

^ SPEAKING OF NOT READING!!!

i already posted this like 2 days ago meng.
rolleyes.gif

Quote:http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-new-zero-audio-doppios-pg1197-kef-m200-pg835-philips-fidelio-s2-pg-724/21780#post_10265672

1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/9/9f/100x100px-LS-9f0efdce_pps.jpeg[/img]
  1. sfwalcer
  2. Master Troll
  3. badge_headphoneusSupremus.v2411770217.png

Onto the Schiit Vali front......

The Vali is pretty damn clean and transparent and is only slightly warm it seems, cuz when hooked up to my more neutral Audinst MX1 amp/dac i only detect a little bit of extra warmth when i listen with my Beyer DT-250. AND HELLS YES, the DT-250 SOUNDS SWEET with that setup. Like it much better then connceted via my Sansa Clip+/ FiiO E17 amp combo. Haven't tried the DT-250s with the FiiO E17 dac via my desktop setup but it should sound pretty good, probably wouldn't best the Audinst MX1s dac......

On the Logans front....

The FiiO E17s which i assume has a warm/ punchier/ and more "color" dac connected to the Schiit Vali amp brings home the bacon outta' these Logans boi!!!
basshead.gif

Even with the stock cable the bass punch, weight and QUANTITY increased by a pretty substantial amount. It's like the stock cable sound on roids!!!
eek.gif
The must musical, audiophile basshead worthy i have heard these Logans, color me truly AMAZED regarding how well these scale and adapt to different sources.

Via the very neutral Audinst  MX1 amp/dac sounded alright when hooked to the Vali but the extra warmth of the FiiO E17 dac with the Vali is UBER SWEET!!!!
L3000.gif

For those that feel that these Logans sounds a bit thin/lean in the bass department if you have a powerful DAP/AMP that has a clean and warm sound such as the FiiO X3s or the E12 it might just make these Logans sound very musical even with the stock cable. There seems to more changes in sound from change of amps/dacs than from cable changes. Well at least the changes in sound is more dramatic with sources...... 

Will see how they gel with a brighter DAC such as the ELE DAC later on. :)

Cuz saving the best for last.
wink.gif

edit: oh the Vali only rings for like 30 secs or so when you 1st plug your cans in, also rings a very very slightly when you touch their knob to adjust the volume and if you tap on the unit it will ring which is a given but even when i bang on my table it doesn't ring which is nice but my table is pretty damn sturdy/ heavy. haha  I don't detect any wifi/ cellphone interference even though my cellphone is pretty close to it as well as my router so.......  Nothing major really.

^ DAT ETHER!!!
cool.gif

Interesting...have the ASG-2 on my radar for a while. By your rankings, the H3, which is about half the price of the ASG-2, even bought through Amazon now, ranks higher. That would make it a pretty good bargain!

^ Don't do it Doc cuz those ASG 2s are severely overpriced performance wise and for me are worth a total of $250 MAX for the package they are selling esp. the most basic one without the paint. Can't understand how they can charge you $100 for just a paint job that isn't even that great of quality tbh.

The H3s doesn't sound as "sweet" as those ASG 2s in the mids due to it having less resolution, but the H3s are pretty damn close. Plus everything comes in spades in the H3s, you get great sub bass depth/extension/texture which the ASG 2s are really lacking cuz it's mostly just mid bass focused. The treble of the H3 is smooth yet it is very well extended unlike that rolled off one of the ASG 2s.

If the H3s bass is too much for you you can always just do the tape bass port mod then they should be less bassy and more clean as others seem to express so....... but hey you gonna do whatcha' gonna do.

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #21,942 of 101,882

The H3s doesn't sound as "sweet" as those ASG 2s in the mids due to it having less resolution, but the H3s are pretty damn close. Plus everything comes in spades in the H3s, you get great sub bass depth/extension/texture which the ASG 2s are really lacking cuz it's mostly just mid bass focused. The treble of the H3 is smooth yet it is very well extended unlike that rolled off one of the ASG 2s.

If the H3s bass is too much for you you can always just do the tape bass port mod then they should be less bassy and more clean as others seem to express so....... but hey you gonna do whatcha' gonna do.

Damned H3's! Hmmm. I need a new tablet. But you can't stick a tablet in your ears. H3's instead?

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #21,943 of 101,882

Damned H3's! Hmmm. I need a new tablet. But you can't stick a tablet in your ears. H3's instead?

^ Hey you sure can try can't you cuz i sure as hell ain't gonna stop ya'. That's what buds do for one another cuz it's gonna be hilarious to see.
tongue.gif

Oh regarding the H3s vs. the ASG 2s, tbh both are on the same playing field technically speaking/ performing, and the biggest differences is in signature presentation/ emphasis.

The H3s is full on BIG CLEAN BASS (sub bass focused instead of punchy mid bass, but good mid bass quality nontheless), WARMER FULL/ SPACIOUS SOUND from sub bass to highs which give you everything in spades. A true TOTALphiles/ audiophile bass lovers dream came true.

The ASG 2s is mid-centric, cleaner sounding that has crazy HD resolution in its mid range (best mid resolution i have heard to date) with clean, fast, and dynamic mid bass that is pretty punchy/ hard hitting, sub bass is there but is lacking in both depth and texture, and a rolled off treble.

So it all boils down to your personal sound preference really cuz technically speaking both are equals in my book. :)

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #21,944 of 101,882
  ^ Hey you sure can try can't you cuz i sure as hell ain't gonna stop ya'. That's what buds do for one another cuz it's gonna be hilarious to see.
tongue.gif

Oh regarding the H3s vs. the ASG 2s, tbh both are on the same playing field technically speaking/ performing, and the biggest differences is in signature presentation/ emphasis.

The H3s is full on BIG CLEAN BASS (sub bass focused instead of punchy mid bass, but good mid bass quality nontheless), WARMER FULL/ SPACIOUS SOUND from sub bass to highs which give you everything in spades. A true TOTALphiles/ audiophile bass lovers dream came true.

The ASG 2s is mid-centric, cleaner sounding that has crazy HD resolution in its mid range (best mid resolution i have heard to date) with clean, fast, and dynamic mid bass that is pretty punchy/ hard hitting, sub bass is there but is lacking in both depth and texture, and a rolled off treble.

So it all boils down to your personal sound preference really cuz technically speaking both are equals in my book. :)

... and budget. That, combined with your description of the H3's sound...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back