The discovery thread!
Sep 18, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #14,432 of 101,517
  Damn, these Graditudes are WAY better then I expected.. I might actually like them even more than the S2's but I need more time to be sure. At USD 60 these are a steal, there's no doubt about that.

1+

Sep 18, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #14,433 of 101,517
updates from the sonic frontier:

just hooked up the IFi  Gemini two headed usb cable (one for power one for music) to the Iusb power supply module and into the Ray Samuels Predator amp/dac.  after some burn in the music is EXPLODING out
the Onkyo hf300's. forgot i was listening to iems,started hallucinating Eric Clapton on stage, forgot to get back to work...ha!   thats some kind of success.....imagine this cable will need 100 hrs or more burn in to
approach peak performance, so i am thrilled!  the 300s get better with ever improvement in the chain of sound...of course DS has me wondering about the headphone version now....

by the way, i havent found a portable NOS dac available anywhere, the 1543 on ebay requires a wall wart or big plug in battery to sing...trying to get MOJOAUDIO to build me one...i just love that one bit old school dac sound.....and would love to have it be portable  (old sony cd players are one bit , but nobody has batteries for them more, so requires wall wart)...just sayin..

Sep 18, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #14,435 of 101,517
Well, I sent the W4r back already, so the DX50 may be in my near future.

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #14,437 of 101,517

Wow that was uber quick. I take it W4r just doesnt cut it for you anymore?

Nope. Now enough sub-bass for me. I like mid-bass but it's too mid-bassy (even with other cables that increased the sub-bass, but increased the mid-bass too).

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #14,438 of 101,517

Damn, these Graditudes are WAY better then I expected.. I might actually like them even more than the S2's but I need more time to be sure. At USD 60 these are a steal, there's no doubt about that.

1+

Been burning the Gratitudes, not sure how long (playing it through an old ipod mini on shuffle, but it randomly shuts and I have to restart it again, never sure how long it was off. It has been past 3-4 days, though. Am noting smoothing of the treble, really nice sounding, haven't done more 1 to 1 comparisons against anything else, just used it to get through sweating on the elliptical (yuk), but I think I'd agree it's a no brainer for $60 (see it $90 some places, but I think can still be found for $60. Have it burning again, will revisit in a few days.
  Well, I sent the W4r back already, so the DX50 may be in my near future.

Yeah, how come so quick? Don't like the Westone"

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #14,439 of 101,517

An update. I know I threw on some ear guides and this is the first time I have ever used ear guides but for these earphones it makes them actually better for what they are intended for. Over ear hearing.

So I have been burning these earphones in since I got them and the sound has gone through a few stages but this evening I also got a new toy to try these with. I got a nice little package from Ibasso and I am extremely happy with the sounds that is coming out of the Ibasso DX50. I didn't get a chance to hear it until about an hour ago for the first time. I threw on my card I had in my X3, scanned and I was hearing the Ibasso for the first time..

I have to use the player much more to hear fully how ibasso tuned the DX50 but for now I will say the X3 does have the deeper sound and more bass. The Ibasso so far has the wider stage but every bit as glorious as the X3 can be on the best synergy with any earphone I have...I would say if your a bass guy. Go with the X3.. If your a detail guy go with the DX50. More on that later..

The R3s been on the burn in ever since I got them and the sound has tightened up.. The R3 seems to like what the DX50 is doing for it more so than the X3.. Both players sound great with the earphone but the R3 right now is telling me it likes the sound of the DX50 more so..This sound is truly immersive. It is all encompassing. If you was sitting in a room of speakers that would be the best way to describe this presentation. The balance is excellent on these earphones..The more I think about how the speakers face each other is a sound chamber and how that sound is channeled to your ears the more I am amazed.. Because it works..Dynamic sound has a new player and it is this very design..

Now what is interesting is the sound positioning is actually off but that is because of the design, and not in a bad way..There is a distinct foreground layer, a mid and a background layer of sound that these emit. What is amazing is there is cohesion in all the layers of sound. The spacing of your tunes will be heard in a new way on these earphones and you will almost have to get used to the presentation to understand how these earphones portray sound.. As much as I analyzed the sound. I will chalk it up to a familiar yet a very."unique" presentation..To put it simply I have not heard layering and use of space quite like how these portray sound..They do sound like they have a dolby type sound coming out of these little earphones..And it sounds all encompassing. Chalk this one up for immersion. You are simply in your music as it surrounds your senses.. 

The best part of the sound on these is the mids. While it is not as forward as the IE-HF300. It has added air and space other earphones can't reproduce..Guys are used to having dual dynamics having big bass yet these aren't it. The sound is very mature, better tuned, full range and very representative of the tune you are listening to..The layered presentation will take your breath away..

Now if I had to nit pick it would be that the sound is not as tight as I would like it..I think due to way this is designed the sound can be a tad loose on some tracks and the highs while represented well has a way of showing up for some tunes while being somewhat hidden in others..And I think it is due to this unique layering of sound these earphones have that leads to this..This is where the M200s outdo these earphones because the way the micro driver of the M200 faces your ear directly it will have the better precision and clarity.. But with that being said. There is something magical with how these portray your music..I am very encouraged with the direction of Brainwavz and I eagerly look forward to what these guys will do next to take this sound one step further..

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #14,440 of 101,517
^ HYPED!!!
beerchug.gif

Sep 19, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #14,442 of 101,517
What the heck, Check this out seems like it is released next week.
 3 in 1 and sounds reasonably well done with the tuning too. So possible for them to release new swappable valves later.

Hmm seems they are already doing additional valve  prototypes now.
Quote from headphonebar: " its a nice bonus having the option to upgrade the sound of your earphones just by using new valves. (we've tried some other valves that Torque is developing and we really like this option). "

http://www.head-fi.org/products/torque-audio-t103z/reviews/8876 

http://www.headphonebar.com/torque-t103z/

Here's their site with a CGI video.
http://www.torque-audio.com/products-headphones/t103z-headphones/

Sep 19, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #14,445 of 101,517
I wouldn't see them when they are in my ears :)  Still thinking about inventing "audiophile mirrors" that attach to any iem and headphone and stick out 8 inches from the sides of your head so you can see what you are wearing while listening. Like those bike helmet mirrors.

Sf you want to trial that when I get em prototyped?
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back