The discovery thread!
Sep 19, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #14,447 of 103,466
@nehcrow : I guess the impression was the last straw? :D FWIW, I got mine from RazorDogAudio via eBay, they list brand new for $650 but you can make an offer. I punched in 500 and they accepted it promptly. I think you might be able to swing for a lower price. The T90s aren't popular even amongst HFers so they might take a lower bid just to move stock. Worth a shot. :dt880smile:

Sep 19, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #14,448 of 103,466

An update. I know I threw on some ear guides and this is the first time I have ever used ear guides but for these earphones it makes them actually better for what they are intended for. Over ear hearing.

So I have been burning these earphones in since I got them and the sound has gone through a few stages but this evening I also got a new toy to try these with. I got a nice little package from Ibasso and I am extremely happy with the sounds that is coming out of the Ibasso DX50. I didn't get a chance to hear it until about an hour ago for the first time. I threw on my card I had in my X3, scanned and I was hearing the Ibasso for the first time..

I have to use the player much more to hear fully how ibasso tuned the DX50 but for now I will say the X3 does have the deeper sound and more bass. The Ibasso so far has the wider stage but every bit as glorious as the X3 can be on the best synergy with any earphone I have...I would say if your a bass guy. Go with the X3.. If your a detail guy go with the DX50. More on that later..

The R3s been on the burn in ever since I got them and the sound has tightened up.. The R3 seems to like what the DX50 is doing for it more so than the X3.. Both players sound great with the earphone but the R3 right now is telling me it likes the sound of the DX50 more so..This sound is truly immersive. It is all encompassing. If you was sitting in a room of speakers that would be the best way to describe this presentation. The balance is excellent on these earphones..The more I think about how the speakers face each other is a sound chamber and how that sound is channeled to your ears the more I am amazed.. Because it works..Dynamic sound has a new player and it is this very design..

Now what is interesting is the sound positioning is actually off but that is because of the design, and not in a bad way..There is a distinct foreground layer, a mid and a background layer of sound that these emit. What is amazing is there is cohesion in all the layers of sound. The spacing of your tunes will be heard in a new way on these earphones and you will almost have to get used to the presentation to understand how these earphones portray sound.. As much as I analyzed the sound. I will chalk it up to a familiar yet a very."unique" presentation..To put it simply I have not heard layering and use of space quite like how these portray sound..They do sound like they have a dolby type sound coming out of these little earphones..And it sounds all encompassing. Chalk this one up for immersion. You are simply in your music as it surrounds your senses.. 

The best part of the sound on these is the mids. While it is not as forward as the IE-HF300. It has added air and space other earphones can't reproduce..Guys are used to having dual dynamics having big bass yet these aren't it. The sound is very mature, better tuned, full range and very representative of the tune you are listening to..The layered presentation will take your breath away..

Now if I had to nit pick it would be that the sound is not as tight as I would like it..I think due to way this is designed the sound can be a tad loose on some tracks and the highs while represented well has a way of showing up for some tunes while being somewhat hidden in others..And I think it is due to this unique layering of sound these earphones have that leads to this..This is where the M200s outdo these earphones because the way the micro driver of the M200 faces your ear directly it will have the better precision and clarity.. But with that being said. There is something magical with how these portray your music..I am very encouraged with the direction of Brainwavz and I eagerly look forward to what these guys will do next to take this sound one step further..

Intriguing impressions DS...
"Spacious", "dolby type sound", "all encompassing"... Not exactly iem lingo. 
ksc75smile.gif
 Brainwavz are taking things to a new level.

Tell us more about the the sound. Would you call them all rounders?  I loved the soundstage on my Brainwavz R1. But the shy mids would be glaringly evident every now and then. Talk about love-hate! 
etysmile.gif
angry_face.gif

How does it stack up against the S2 and the XBA-3? I mean, which one would you reach for?

Sep 19, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #14,449 of 103,466
It is just my opinion but I prefer my S2 over everything I have heard this year and even over the M200 when I had it because they do the one thing the M200s never did which was ease of use. The M200 has one of the best sounds I have heard this year but the fact that I was messing with the earphones more than enjoying that sound was a deal breaker..You are gonna have to sacrifice ergonomics and some comfort for a big all encompassing sound in even a bigger housing. I am sure they will figure out how to improve on that housing design and do one better but for now those are not one you can just grab and go at least for me it wasn't.

The R3 has one of the most intriguing sounds but does show some limitations due to design..Guys that are neutral/ detail freaks will not like them but guys that are more open minded and like more of a natural surround sound presentation will be in awe of what the R3 can do. They are on the path for something great I can sense with these earphones and for the asking price I do believe these are worth owning for your collection if only because they stand out among other earphones.Guys that enjoy vocals, orchestral, big band presentations, live recordings, will enjoy these earphones for a unique take. It is not the most technically accurate but it makes up for that with the one aspect most iems simply can't portray..Space.

I think given the design and what Brainwavz was going for I can clearly hear the direction they are going for on these earphones. It succeeds in the one area that is important to me and that is immersion.. After getting used to that sound you can hear how other earphones constrict the sounds due to housing limitations on your average earphone. Vocals have air around it as well as the instruments that play in the fore mid or background. Other earphones will sound more compressed together like a flatter picture of the sound. Once you understand that sound. It just sweeps you away in a whole new take on your tunes.

Sep 19, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #14,450 of 103,466

The R3s been on the burn in ever since I got them and the sound has tightened up.. The R3 seems to like what the DX50 is doing for it more so than the X3.. Both players sound great with the earphone but the R3 right now is telling me it likes the sound of the DX50 more so..This sound is truly immersive. It is all encompassing. If you was sitting in a room of speakers that would be the best way to describe this presentation. The balance is excellent on these earphones..The more I think about how the speakers face each other is a sound chamber and how that sound is channeled to your ears the more I am amazed.. Because it works..Dynamic sound has a new player and it is this very design..

Now what is interesting is the sound positioning is actually off but that is because of the design, and not in a bad way..There is a distinct foreground layer, a mid and a background layer of sound that these emit. What is amazing is there is cohesion in all the layers of sound. The spacing of your tunes will be heard in a new way on these earphones and you will almost have to get used to the presentation to understand how these earphones portray sound.. As much as I analyzed the sound. I will chalk it up to a familiar yet a very."unique" presentation..To put it simply I have not heard layering and use of space quite like how these portray sound..They do sound like they have a dolby type sound coming out of these little earphones..And it sounds all encompassing. Chalk this one up for immersion. You are simply in your music as it surrounds your senses.. 

The best part of the sound on these is the mids. While it is not as forward as the IE-HF300. It has added air and space other earphones can't reproduce..Guys are used to having dual dynamics having big bass yet these aren't it. The sound is very mature, better tuned, full range and very representative of the tune you are listening to..The layered presentation will take your breath away..

Now if I had to nit pick it would be that the sound is not as tight as I would like it..I think due to way this is designed the sound can be a tad loose on some tracks and the highs while represented well has a way of showing up for some tunes while being somewhat hidden in others..And I think it is due to this unique layering of sound these earphones have that leads to this..This is where the M200s outdo these earphones because the way the micro driver of the M200 faces your ear directly it will have the better precision and clarity.. But with that being said. There is something magical with how these portray your music..I am very encouraged with the direction of Brainwavz and I eagerly look forward to what these guys will do next to take this sound one step further..

I should be getting a pair of R3 tomorrow. Certainly intrigued to hear them after your impressions. If the 10mm are related to the S1 drivers, I would say wait till a lot of hours are one them and see how tight they are. Not that the right tips won't help too. I know my CKP 200 tips are great for tightening and layering out sub-bass. I know my S1 came with a bunch of tips but I probably like them best with the tips from my PCX 95. The Grado(HifiMan style) big bi-flanges could be a good tip for the R3 as well. We'll see how it goes!

Sep 19, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #14,451 of 103,466
Ya there will be the usual variety thrown in which is actually commendable as another knock on the KEF camp. Those guys have one of the lest ergonomic housing designs you have to wrestle with just to fit them in your ears and the least they can do is throw in a big variety of tips to fit a variety of ears but they throw in 3 pairs of big nozzle tips and call it a day..Even guys that use the stock tips will start searching for others that fit the big nozzle.. You spend $200 you should at least get a set of foam type tips no?

I like that Brainwavz throws in more than your average amount of tips and a nice case. There is bound to be something in there that can be usable to your ear size and shape. Some thought into tips and who is gonna use them goes a long way imo. It is just my opinion but I think if Brainwavz can do it they should throw in some cheap ear guides too. The stiff memory wire in itself works but with an ear guide it holds the earphones in better for me and I suspect many others that will want to be active with the R3s in the ears.

Sep 19, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #14,452 of 103,466
Hey Ds, I want to get a music player so naturally I'm looking at the X3 and DX50. Details are more important to me than bass, but the X3 would pair with all my headphones better and I prefer its interface. The DX50 can support a lot higher memory too, I don't know which one to get.

On another note those Brainwavs seem amazing. I prefer the layered spacious sound as all of my speakers are EQd to have that effect. I haven't looked at the price yet so I shouldn't get too excited lol. What do you like better about the S2?

Sep 19, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #14,453 of 103,466
It is a more a matter of preference than anything but I have not heard an earphone yet this year that does all the things the S2 does.. It has so many aspects in the sound and their ability to scale with more power that truly takes them a step or two above other iems.. The dynamics for one. The highs extend without fatigue, the precise engrossing mids with the bass end that has some of the best quality I have heard on any in ears. After hearing the S2, it is easy to pick out flaws in other earphones. Sound is clean, refined, extended, wide and has the ability to sound like a completely different phone altogether with a powerful dap like the X3.

The great news..You know how lately I have been talking about what phones synergize with what dap? The S2 synergizes with both..The S2 shows what each players strengths and weaknesses are. For you Cameron I recommend you invest in the X3 and the S2. It is all your gonna need.. I like how they sound on the DX50 just as much actually but you might as well save the $55 and go with the X3 and put that money toward an S2..I think you will appreciate the deep 3dness of the X3 in sound and how the S2s transparency shows that imagery in full force. An absolute fantastic pairing of player and phone..Plus wait till you hear how the X3 sounds with your CKN70, AD900X, HA-S500 It will bring a big smile to your face I guarantee it.

I like the R3 better on the DX50 and for it's unique approach to sound. It is the perfect phone to get lost in your own music space..I am burning my DX50. Can't wait to try out my CKS1000 on it. Will report later.

Sep 19, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #14,454 of 103,466
  I like the R3 better on the DX50 and for it's unique approach to sound. It is the perfect phone to get lost in your own music space..I am burning my DX50. Can't wait to try out my CKS1000 on it. Will report later.

Waiting...

wink.gif

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #14,455 of 103,466

+

=

I knew the CKS1000 was gonna sound good on the DX50, but the best I have ever heard?

Seriously you want to talk about synergy. WOW. I just got back from the library listening to my DX50 using my CKS1000. I couldn't believe it..I can feel the hairs on the back of my head standing on end when I was listening to this combo. Just astounding. I have never heard my CKS1000 sound quite like what I was hearing. The player was made for the CKS1000..The sparkle the deep full blown sound and that ridiculous bowl reaching bass. I kid you not the sound I was hearing was more than what I expected.

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #14,456 of 103,466
I believe it-don't have the DX50, but have been loving the X3 via line out to ALO Continental, using it that way mostly (certainly not as convenient as using it alone). This is more neutral than the stock X3, and the AT 1K are KILLER through this combination!!!

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #14,457 of 103,466
audio-technica's SonicFuel earphones have just been released!

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #14,458 of 103,466
Wow Ds! Wow. Thanks for the impressions :)

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #14,460 of 103,466
Thanks for the advice D's, you're always there for me. I definitely need a new source because my phone just isn't cutting it. My ELE puts it to shame. So I'll get the X3 first and go for the S2s. How is the isolation? I know its not as good as a closed IEM, but is it really that bad? Being able to cancel put noise is important to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back