The discovery thread!
Sep 18, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #14,416 of 101,537
The Philips have an issue here...finally getting somewhat comfortable, went to bed wearing them, my wife heard them, I know they are semi open, didn't expect so much sound leakage that it would be an issue.

Fun concert last night, Rock Shop Brooklyn, Valley Lodge, dive of a bar, abour 20 people there, soundstage narrow (was a small room), good powerful bass, though, imaging/vocals a bit smeared, but good "jump" factor, had fun  
popcorn.gif

(videoed snippets of songs, may post but probably crappy since used my Razr Maxx and couldn't bear to video for full songs, had to bop)

Sep 18, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #14,417 of 101,537

I get my Deltas this morning and had to get my cup o bucks and throw them in my ears just to see what Brainwavz been cooking. After hearing these. I am gonna have to reconsider them R3s. If the R3 scale in value like these Deltas. I think we will all be in for a real nice surprise with the R3s.. So onto the Deltas. These earphones for the asking price clearly shows the type of commitment to sound that other manufacturers should strive for. For your $20 you clearly get your monies worth in sound and a solid build. The sound is even, balanced, clear, well represented across the entire spectrum.

At first listen I was kinda worried the phones was another cheap sounding budget fi but the stock tip didn't seal the sound in for me so I switched to the foams that was provided and lo n behold the bass comes into play which was clearly missing from initial listen.

I messed around with some other tips and settled on the double flange tips that was provided with my M5 earphones..Which gives a touch more space separation and that bass..These are not bass heavy or treble happy or mids happy..The balance on these earphones are actually commendable. Not too many phones that cost $20 sound like these or do they have the balance these do..These to me sound way better than the cheapo Panasonics, JVC, Sonys, Philips, and many phones I have heard at this cost range..Guys looking for a big bass phone these are not it but what these do have is a solid sound from the treble to the bass..Sure it could use more stage, have more depth, Bass reach lower and the treble more air, mids more detailed but we are talking about a $20 phone that don't have me wanting too much more in any region of sound. These are quite simply a solid sounding phone at any price range let alone $20..

I think Brainwavz has outdone themselves with these earphones. If this is an indication of where they are headed with their new earphones. I have to say. I am impressed. Good job fellas. I am enjoying them as I type and that is the ultimate goal of any earphone at any price let alone a $20 phone. These sound damn good. Lol. Next time ya'll are on Mp4nation grab yourself a pair..

How do these compare to Zero Audio Tenores mate?

Also how do they sound with my Trance mixes? :D

Sep 18, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #14,418 of 101,537
Will someone be kind and explain what  " R3 Dual hybrid greatness!! " means? whoever changed the title must be aware that it is dual dynamic and not dynami/BA hybrid, right? if the title implies something else then my apologies 

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #14,421 of 101,537

Yeah, I was never interested in the RE-600, but the Re-400 is very good at $100. I have it up for sale now because I don't need it and will probably never listen to it again at this point. I detected no QC problems with the RE-400.

Could the M200 be a direct upgrade to the RE-400 SQ-wise instead of RE-600 if they're made from the same company? RE-600 doesn't justify the 4x price of RE-400 and M200 would have made more sense at 2x price of RE-400

Different sound signatures. I think the RE-400 peels back layers in the music more, but the M200 has more bass and is more musical of the two. Sometimes the RE-400 sounds a bit too surgical. Both give enough satisfying details in the music. I would pick the M200.

Sep 18, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #14,422 of 101,537
Jealous of your T90's! I want a pair... :frowning2:

How are they?
Got the X1's which are so great :) But really curious about the T90's

Fscking fantastic. :D I don't have anything on a similar tier to compare it to but I've have/had a few mid-tier phones (DT880, DT990, HD600) and they wipe the floor with them across the board.

I think reviews on the X1s have made comparisons between the 990s and the 650s so with that in mind, I'd say the T90s will have less bass but more treble. Treble is clean and clearer, less grainy. Soundstage and imaging is amaaaazing. Soundstage and imaging is probably the most noticable upgrade. Treble is 50/50, it's nice that it's clean and clear but some(a lot) found it piercing/sibilant. I did too at first but after some burn in, it smooths out to where it's no trouble at all. It's expensive but, I find it money well spent. :D

Sep 18, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #14,423 of 101,537
  BTW I'm cranking this stuff with these other 32 ohm Lethal Audio Earsubs ( model # 5556 )iems ( have both models ), man these are seriously good. This model has a much smaller bass port so a bit tighter bass and a bit more forward aspect. People are doing themselves a disservice if they aren't giving either one a shot, and at that price, I don't even register"price" when I use them. The sound...They stand alone from pricepoint and appearance. This isn't some dusty MT-300 thing like SF likes to remind us of. Not even a dusty EB-750 either.( Sf get in here and start featherdusting!) And I'm not hyping, you'd know if I was hyping.
No sweat to me if nobody bothers, I'll still have them.
etysmile.gif
, and spares.

I could be using the portable Stax SR-001 Mk2 or a pile of other ortho type stuff instead, but nope. These two models are too worthy.

+
  The Philips have an issue here...finally getting somewhat comfortable, went to bed wearing them, my wife heard them, I know they are semi open, didn't expect so much sound leakage that it would be an issue.

Fun concert last night, Rock Shop Brooklyn, Valley Lodge, dive of a bar, abour 20 people there, soundstage narrow (was a small room), good powerful bass, though, imaging/vocals a bit smeared, but good "jump" factor, had fun  
popcorn.gif

(videoed snippets of songs, may post but probably crappy since used my Razr Maxx and couldn't bear to video for full songs, had to bop)

^ Why doc the answer is literally right before your eyes. Dem Lethals meng like nick said is no joke and can hang with some of the best for pennies. If you don't get them Lethals soon, your wifey might get LETHAL with ya' if youknowhatimeng. 
wink.gif

Sep 18, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #14,424 of 101,537
The Onyko are very engaging/versatile phones. starting to impress me as they do well with many types of music
The onykos sound more colored to me in that it has way more midbass, i wonder what you meant by colored.

Pretty much everything in this thread is colored, lol. Even the S2. As for the CKS1000, the sound seems to be forced at you more. Midrange and treble especially. I don't think it sounds bad but the S2 is just more even. Maybe calling them awfully colored was a bad term.

Sep 18, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #14,425 of 101,537
Pretty much everything in this thread is colored, lol. Even the S2. As for the CKS1000, the sound seems to be forced at you more. Midrange and treble especially. I don't think it sounds bad but the S2 is just more even. Maybe calling them awfully colored was a bad term.

^
... welp i wouldn't say "colored" is necessarily a bad thing per se, since it all has to do with how masterfully tuned it is. The ATH CKS1Ks are indeed masterfully and colorfully tuned to be EVERYTHING forward and nothing recessed. They have a crazy refined sound that is really fun/engaging due to this aggressive tuning yet it's not overly fatiguing cuz of the big soundstaging and spacious layering. The colored nature of these 1Ks just works tbh.

Sep 18, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #14,426 of 101,537
Damn, these Graditudes are WAY better then I expected.. I might actually like them even more than the S2's but I need more time to be sure. At USD 60 these are a steal, there's no doubt about that.

Sep 18, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #14,427 of 101,537
  Will someone be kind and explain what  " R3 Dual hybrid greatness!! " means? whoever changed the title must be aware that it is dual dynamic and not dynami/BA hybrid, right? if the title implies something else then my apologies 

Yeah was wondering about that, thought to myself, am I missing something... R3 is a hybrid???
That's what I read as well. 
Anyway, thanks for bringing that up...

Sep 18, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #14,428 of 101,537
^

... welp i wouldn't say "colored" is necessarily a bad thing per se, since it all has to do with how masterfully tuned it is. The ATH CKS1Ks are indeed masterfully and colorfully tuned to be EVERYTHING forward and nothing recessed. They have a crazy refined sound that is really fun/engaging due to this aggressive tuning yet it's not overly fatiguing cuz of the big soundstaging and spacious layering. The colored nature of these 1Ks just works tbh.

What you said. I goof no more.

R3 is a dual dynamic.

Sep 18, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #14,429 of 101,537
^

I've been looking for headphones in general that are forward, but very spacious at the same time. Sounds like the 1Ks may be my best bet.

Sep 18, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #14,430 of 101,537

BTW I'm cranking this stuff with these other 32 ohm Lethal Audio Earsubs ( model # 5556 )iems ( have both models ), man these are seriously good. This model has a much smaller bass port so a bit tighter bass and a bit more forward aspect. People are doing themselves a disservice if they aren't giving either one a shot, and at that price, I don't even register"price" when I use them. The sound...They stand alone from pricepoint and appearance. This isn't some dusty MT-300 thing like SF likes to remind us of. Not even a dusty EB-750 either.( Sf get in here and start featherdusting!) And I'm not hyping, you'd know if I was hyping.
No sweat to me if nobody bothers, I'll still have them.
etysmile.gif
, and spares.

I could be using the portable Stax SR-001 Mk2 or a pile of other ortho type stuff instead, but nope. These two models are too worthy.

+

popcorn.gif

^ Why doc the answer is literally right before your eyes. Dem Lethals meng like nick said is no joke and can hang with some of the best for pennies. If you don't get them Lethals soon, your wifey might get LETHAL with ya' if youknowhatimeng. 
wink.gif

Thanks, SF, I know I can always depend on you for help. 

As far as the S2's go, this may be obvious to everyone else, but, as they are semi open and don't make a real seal, they don't feel the same in the ear when they are in properly. I generally expect a really good seal to have a bit of suction, which I try not to have too much (uncomfortable), but reassures me that I'm in well. These, being semi open, shouldn't give m suction EVER (I know, DUHH).

Trying to figure out how to get the Valley Lodge video snippets from my phone to the site, different things haven't worked yet. An interesting observation is how differnt ears and microphones hear tings.I was working to gear lyrics/vocals from my spot. On my phone, in the same spot, they are pretty clear. I know that is the case, still interesting to appreciate how different they are.

Valley Lodge, maybe get the videos going...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back