The discovery thread!
Sep 17, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #14,386 of 100,051
I currently have the S1 and Delta models from Raz and both sound excellent. The Delta is just a damn good balanced IEM which is pretty much unheard of at it's price point. It simply slays any store bought IEM at the same price both from a sound perspective as well as accessory and build wise.

The S1 on the other hand offer a stronger bass response and is warmer sounding. It's worth noting the S1 improved alot with burnin as the bass settled down and became more controlled, I gave my pair about 70hrs in total but noticed a positive change within the first 24hrs followed by minor changes after that.

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #14,387 of 100,051

I think i was mis quoted, i didn't use the FXZ100 to help tune the R3, i don't normally use any other brands earphone as a basis for tuning our earphones, in generally i just use my ears to figure out what sounds nice.
from: http://www.mp4nation.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=35932

That was in May, since that post the housing and drivers went through minor changes which affected the sound from what we had then to what you have now. I don't really know how the final R3 would sound compared to the FXZ100 as my FXZ100 left channel died shortly after i wrote those comments in may.

You're probably quite right about the astrotec, but until your post, no one here at brainwavz knew what the Ocharaku flat 4 was (we did all agree the cut out diagram could be for a mini nuclear reactor to power anime inspired robots). The R3 came from our collective heads at brainwavz hq from the plug, splitter, housing and the idea to see what happens when you place two speakers facing each other.

Yea, I don't think I stated that you used the FXZ100 to tune the R3, but that R3 sounded more like that FXZ100 in comparing sound signatures. I need to search back for my original statement, but if I didn't state that, then I apologize. I wouldn't know how you tuned them. But I bought mine, so hurry up and send it please!!!
beerchug.gif

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #14,388 of 100,051
I remember that Raz said something about R3 sounding like tf10 and that kinda put me off but that was probably like last year, so I guess the sound has changed quite a few times during the R&D phase. 

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #14,390 of 100,051
IEMs:

1. BrainWavz R3 ~?
  2. BrainWavz Delta ~$23
  3. ONKYO IE-HF300, IE-FC300 ~$130/$100
  1. KEF M200 ~$200
  2. PNY midtowns 200 ~$16
  3. Lethal Earsubs 5556 ~$15
  4. Nuforce NE-700M ~$75
  1. Philips Fidelio S1/S2 ~$95/$145
  2. ZA Basso/Tenore ~$60
  3. Audio Technica CKS1000 ~$212
  4. RHA MA350 ~$40
  5. VSonic VSD1 ~$45-55

Headphones:
  1. Onkyo ES-HF300 ~$180
  2. KEF M500 ~$300
  1. Philips Fidelio X1 ~$245
  2. Rock It Sounds R-Studio ~$74

Other/Accessories:
  1. zu cables mission ipod cable (fidelio x1) ~$35
  2. Geek DAC (kickstarter) ~$160
  3. HRT microStreamer ~$190
  4. FiiO X3 (DAP) ~$200
  1. iBasso DX50 (DAP) ~$240
  2. ele-dac (ebay find) ~$25

I think i should start trimming out some of the older things on the list.

Sep 17, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #14,391 of 100,051
Anybody wanna try a $45 amp? The seller sells some other legit stuff so who knows, could be awesome

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HA-INFO-mini-ear-Headphone-Amplifier-TI-TPA6120A2-for-HIFI-headphones-/380461843386?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item58954b03ba

Sep 17, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #14,393 of 100,051
As the ear speakers are too expensive for me ATM, Sony XBA H3 and brainwavz R3 are both tempting me. it's interesting how will thee compete with each other...

Oh and this "golden age" for IEMS is going wild.

Sep 17, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #14,394 of 100,051
I've been eyeing the M200s because they seem like my style. Now that I've heard they're Eric's favorite IEMs, I'm very tempted.

Sep 17, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #14,395 of 100,051
I've been eyeing the M200s because they seem like my style. Now that I've heard they're Eric's favorite IEMs, I'm very tempted.

Assuming you meant his favorite universal IEM, you must have missed this post a couple pages back. 
wink.gif

Out of the box, fellas, the Cardas Ear Speaker EM 5813 is on another level, but you won't hear it with the two provided double-flange tips, and without a good seal. I'm using the UE900 tips and I'm like "DAMN!" I hear no muddiness or lack of transparency, but I can tell it's only going to get better. Out of the box, however, it's another level than anything I own in a universal (yes even more so than my beloved M200). It's a true ear speaker. Weight, height, and thickness of notes are intoxicating. Treble is there, but this IEM is for those who love rich refined bass and outstanding mids, with a decent soundstage (not too wide and not too small). No, these are not basshead earphones, but the bass is freakin' strong and prominent. And this has to be one of the best well-built earphones I've ever seen. It's beautiful. The cord may be a bit too long and thick for some, but it's fine for me. But the sound! Well, let me get with the burn-in process and then more listening, but out of the box I'm very pleased. Yes, it's worth the premium price.

Granted, the Cardas cost more than twice as much as the M200, so I think I can safely stay away... for now.

Sep 17, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #14,396 of 100,051
Hey guys. I got a review unit of Rockit Sounds' new R-Studio, and I have to say that I'm thoroughly impressed. 

The R-Studio features a good build, good sound, great soundstage, and good comfort.

The build is mostly plastic, but it has a strong aluminum part (dunno what to call it) on the side, like many Beyerdynamic headphones, such as the DT770. It feels really sturdy overall. Cable is detachable too.

The sound has an overall warm and bassy signature to it. It's a little boomy on some tracks, though. I don't really hear it it unless I'm listening to intense orchestral or something. The mids are really engaging and full-sounding. Treble is detailed and relatively well extended. Could use a bit more extension, in my opinion. Sounds fricken great for a $70 headphone though. I think we've got an intense budget competitor here.

Soundstage is gigantic for a closed headphone. Ear space is the most that I've ever had with a headphone though, so that could be why. But seriously. There's so much space for your ears. It's incredible. Makes them really comfortable, too.
According to the package, the pads are made of genuine leather. Great to see that on a headphone this cheap!

I've already given a few of my mates a listen, and they really liked them. One of them is probably going to buy a pair for himself 
biggrin.gif

Seriously, though. These headphones are insanely good at their current price, just like other Rockit products.

beerchug.gif

Sep 17, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #14,399 of 100,051
  Hey guys. I got a review unit of Rockit Sounds' new R-Studio, and I have to say that I'm thoroughly impressed. 

The R-Studio features a good build, good sound, great soundstage, and good comfort.

The build is mostly plastic, but it has a strong aluminum part (dunno what to call it) on the side, like many Beyerdynamic headphones, such as the DT770. It feels really sturdy overall. Cable is detachable too.

The sound has an overall warm and bassy signature to it. It's a little boomy on some tracks, though. I don't really hear it it unless I'm listening to intense orchestral or something. The mids are really engaging and full-sounding. Treble is detailed and relatively well extended. Could use a bit more extension, in my opinion. Sounds fricken great for a $70 headphone though. I think we've got an intense budget competitor here.

Soundstage is gigantic for a closed headphone. Ear space is the most that I've ever had with a headphone though, so that could be why. But seriously. There's so much space for your ears. It's incredible. Makes them really comfortable, too.
According to the package, the pads are made of genuine leather. Great to see that on a headphone this cheap!

I've already given a few of my mates a listen, and they really liked them. One of them is probably going to buy a pair for himself 
biggrin.gif

Seriously, though. These headphones are insanely good at their current price, just like other Rockit products.

beerchug.gif

wow nice, thanks for that.

Sep 17, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #14,400 of 100,051
Congratulations on the Cardas Eric
beerchug.gif
Lucky guy. SO tempted, but then the cks1000's are on the to get list before those.

Didn't someone mention a possible 1000 replacement in the works soon?

Any issues with the weight for staying put in your ears,  or bulky cable at all on the Cardas?
Its a shame they only provide a few tips, especially since they are sort of unique, at least the pair with the venting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back