The discovery thread!
Sep 17, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #14,402 of 100,041
I recently got the xb90's, and, while they are very nice, I am preferring the crunch of distorted guitars more on my MH1C. Am I high or was this to be expected?

Guitars are not a strong suit on the xb90, or most bass phones that tend to cloud the sound. im not seeing the onyko as much of an upgrade to the xb90 either, they have more in common than not.
s2 plays guitars just great mind you.

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #14,404 of 100,041
I think a lot of people just stopped caring about the EM5813 after delay after delay of it coming out (although we were promised it was coming out many times over). But if you have any ill feelings toward Cardas, you really need to let it go because you are denying your ears a treat! These Ear Speakers are something else! The sound is just so encompassing, refined, and BIG. These - to my ears - is in the top three of some of the best universals I have ever heard. I'm just blown away the more I listen it. The one misstep are the two pairs of tips provided by Cardas. Use those on some other IEM. Those tips don't do the Cardas justice. To be so expensive, Cardas should have given purchasers a variety of tips to choose from. But once you find the right tips for you (I have settled on large UE900 tips), your ears are in for a feast. And you MUST burn-in these earphones. I think some of you who gave in so quickly on the Cardas didn't give it a fighting chance. Then again, maybe it will be the best kept secret among a few listeners. I'm glad it has revealed its beauty to me (inside and out). Happy listening.

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #14,405 of 100,041
  Congratulations on the Cardas Eric
beerchug.gif
Lucky guy. SO tempted, but then the cks1000's are on the to get list before those.

Didn't someone mention a possible 1000 replacement in the works soon?

Any issues with the weight for staying put in your ears,  or bulky cable at all on the Cardas?
Its a shame they only provide a few tips, especially since they are sort of unique, at least the pair with the venting.

nick n I can see the Cardas feeling kind of heavy if you don't have tips that give you a good firm and tight seal (so that they don't move). The cable is one of the thickest (and heaviest) cables I've ever seen on an earphone, but it doesn't bother me. The earphone can be worn over ear; there a beautiful shirt clip to hold the cable in place; and the chin slider also aids in holding the Ear Speaker in place (and makes them feel less heavy). Also, there like a velcro wrap on the cable so that you can roll some of it up and make it shorter. I like the length of the cable, myself, but it is "almost" too long (but not quite to me). I haven't tried to take these out on public transportation to listen to, and I doubt I will. First, it looks really high-end and like nothing else anyone has seen in someone's ears, so I don't want to tempt fate. But I will pack them in the great looking leather pouch and pull them out when I get to work to listen to (my on the go earphone is the Fidelio S2 right now). Oh, the X3 and Ear Speaker love each other. 

Sep 18, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #14,406 of 100,041
  I think a lot of people just stopped caring about the EM5813 after delay after delay of it coming out (although we were promised it was coming out many times over). But if you have any ill feelings toward Cardas, you really need to let it go because you are denying your ears a treat! These Ear Speakers are something else! The sound is just so encompassing, refined, and BIG. These - to my ears - is in the top three of some of the best universals I have ever heard. I'm just blown away the more I listen it. The one misstep are the two pairs of tips provided by Cardas. Use those on some other IEM. Those tips don't do the Cardas justice. To be so expensive, Cardas should have given purchasers a variety of tips to choose from. But once you find the right tips for you (I have settled on large UE900 tips), your ears are in for a feast. And you MUST burn-in these earphones. I think some of you who gave in so quickly on the Cardas didn't give it a fighting chance. Then again, maybe it will be the best kept secret among a few listeners. I'm glad it has revealed its beauty to me (inside and out). Happy listening.

^ Welp for $400 smackers and the hype surrounding these i expected nothing less from them tbh. But didn't really follow their development and only read about them half passingly. 

Personally the price for these Cardas are much more justified than the RE-600s which are literally falling apart on a lot of peps it seems.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/667685/hifiman-re-600-review/375#post_9808732

Maybe i have high standards but $400 for a flagship model that has a built quality worse than most ~$10 cheapos is ridiculous in my book and they have been in this game for some time, with a pretty big following as well, so there should really be no excuses.
rolleyes.gif

Anywho good to hear your diggin' them Crustaceans so much ericp, congrats!!!
beerchug.gif

Sep 18, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #14,407 of 100,041
  ^ Welp for $400 smackers and the hype surrounding these i expected nothing less from them tbh. But didn't really follow their development and only read about them half passingly. 

Personally the price for these Cardas are much more justified than the RE-600s which are literally falling apart on a lot of peps it seems.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/667685/hifiman-re-600-review/375#post_9808732

Maybe i have high standards but $400 for a flagship model that has a built quality worse than most ~$10 cheapos is ridiculous in my book and they have been in this game for some time, with a pretty big following as well, so there should really be no excuses.
rolleyes.gif

Anywho good to hear your diggin' them Crustaceans so much ericp, congrats!!!
beerchug.gif

Yeah, I was never interested in the RE-600, but the Re-400 is very good at $100. I have it up for sale now because I don't need it and will probably never listen to it again at this point. I detected no QC problems with the RE-400.

Sep 18, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #14,408 of 100,041

Yeah, I was never interested in the RE-600, but the Re-400 is very good at $100. I have it up for sale now because I don't need it and will probably never listen to it again at this point. I detected no QC problems with the RE-400.

Could the M200 be a direct upgrade to the RE-400 SQ-wise instead of RE-600 if they're made from the same company? RE-600 doesn't justify the 4x price of RE-400 and M200 would have made more sense at 2x price of RE-400

Sep 18, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #14,409 of 100,041

Could the M200 be a direct upgrade to the RE-400 SQ-wise instead of RE-600 if they're made from the same company? RE-600 doesn't justify the 4x price of RE-400 and M200 would have made more sense at 2x price of RE-400

^ i was able to get a set of m200s for $125 shipped here on the sales forums so if you are able to find a used set it makes much more sense to get them over the RE-400s. Just my 2 cents. :)

Sep 18, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #14,411 of 100,041

^ i was able to get a set of m200s for $125 shipped here on the sales forums so if you are able to find a used set it makes much more sense to get them over the RE-400s. Just my 2 cents.
smily_headphones1.gif

Definitely! That's one heck of a deal you scored there!

Welp that was the 2nd time i saw them under $150 here at head-fi so its not that uncommon. But yeah that was indeed a sweet deal. The seller is a crazy nice head-fier as well which always makes for a more pleasant experience. :)

Sep 18, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #14,412 of 100,041
  Welp that was the 2nd time i saw them under $150 here at head-fi so its not that uncommon. But yeah that was indeed a sweet deal. The seller is a crazy nice head-fier as well which always makes for a more pleasant experience. :)

How do you like the M200s? If you posted your impressions on it already I must have missed that post.

Sep 18, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #14,413 of 100,041
  How do you like the M200s? If you posted your impressions on it already I must have missed that post.

^ Yeah you have missed them. Might wanna backtrack a couple of pages i am sure it's easy to find.

Anywho there ya' go. :)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-new-brainwavz-delta-r3-dual-hybrid-greatness-pg948-onkyo-phones-pg-904-kef-m200-pg835-philips-fidelio-s2-pg-724/13935#post_9783553

Sep 18, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #14,414 of 100,041
The Onyko are very engaging/versatile phones. starting to impress me as they do well with many types of music

Quote:
After hearing the S2 and M200, the 1K's seemed awfully colored. Even the Onkyo's don't seem as colored but its closer to the 1K's then the other two in coloration. I am preferring more of the neutral sound these days with good bass.
The onykos sound more colored to me in that it has way more midbass, i wonder what you meant by colored.

Sep 18, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #14,415 of 100,041

nick n I can see the Cardas feeling kind of heavy if you don't have tips that give you a good firm and tight seal (so that they don't move). The cable is one of the thickest (and heaviest) cables I've ever seen on an earphone, but it doesn't bother me. The earphone can be worn over ear; there a beautiful shirt clip to hold the cable in place; and the chin slider also aids in holding the Ear Speaker in place (and makes them feel less heavy). Also, there like a velcro wrap on the cable so that you can roll some of it up and make it shorter. I like the length of the cable, myself, but it is "almost" too long (but not quite to me). I haven't tried to take these out on public transportation to listen to, and I doubt I will. First, it looks really high-end and like nothing else anyone has seen in someone's ears, so I don't want to tempt fate. But I will pack them in the great looking leather pouch and pull them out when I get to work to listen to (my on the go earphone is the Fidelio S2 right now). Oh, the X3 and Ear Speaker love each other. 

THANKS for the impressions. It helps a bunch.
I'm guessing they floor the CKS1000 so far. Not sure if I want an answer to that one :)
If you really want to get into the golden ratio theme of those Cardas ( and the cable construction they use )... why not hey... check out some tunes tuned to  432hz. lots of info on that on the left sidebar.
of course click on the pictures to hit up the download screen of each track.
https://soundcloud.com/groups/432-hz-music There was a warning of some kind in one of those links, like don't operate machinery with this stuff.

Don't get too tripped out ( Stodt Yam for instance )

BTW I'm cranking this stuff with these other 32 ohm Lethal Audio Earsubs ( model # 5556 )iems ( have both models ), man these are seriously good. This model has a much smaller bass port so a bit tighter bass and a bit more forward aspect. People are doing themselves a disservice if they aren't giving either one a shot, and at that price, I don't even register"price" when I use them. The sound...They stand alone from pricepoint and appearance. This isn't some dusty MT-300 thing like SF likes to remind us of. Not even a dusty EB-750 either.( Sf get in here and start featherdusting!) And I'm not hyping, you'd know if I was hyping.
No sweat to me if nobody bothers, I'll still have them.
etysmile.gif
, and spares.

I could be using the portable Stax SR-001 Mk2 or a pile of other ortho type stuff instead, but nope. These two models are too worthy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back