The discovery thread!
May 23, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #10,036 of 100,251
Eye on the prize, Wayne. You just ordered the VSD1. :D

You mean "prizes" lol. I feel like dsnuts has been around, manipulating my brain and sending my buying impulses into ridiculous overdrive!

But yes, I have high hopes for those VSD1's! I have a feeling that they will punch way above their weight (like the Basso's), and it will be interesting to compare them all.

Tell me about it. I've been lurking this thread for the past 4 months trying to resist the temptation to login because I knew I would buy something, and what happened? The second I login I decide to buy the 385's and be a test dummy. It's not only headphones either. I ordered a pair of Supra Vaider's that arrived today. So it seems my shopping spree has just begun. Most-likely buying the VSD1 tomorrow after I get the 385s.

Impressions on Supra's. Very thick with great appeal. The build quality is top notch. You can definitely feel how sturdy this pair is. The sole is very thick and luscious. The material is well stitched . The tongue is enveloping. The pair has great width and depth. On the negative they are a bit heavy footed--probably due to the thick construction--and a bit rigid. However, I have high expectations after the burn-in process is complete.

May 23, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #10,037 of 100,251

I'll wait for your impressions Wayne on those JVC.

May 23, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #10,038 of 100,251
Damned fine deal if they are as good a you say!

They are great and the build quality is admirable. From what I recall, I really love the bass on those, very tight! BUT I can't listen to it for longer sessions. Quite fatiguing after an hour or two. That's why I don't think it comes close to the DX210. I can listen to them Bassos for hours and hours...

May 23, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #10,039 of 100,251
Quote:

I'll wait for your impressions Wayne on those JVC.

Damn you suck!!!
tongue.gif

May 23, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #10,040 of 100,251
Quote:
Tell me about it. I've been lurking this thread for the past 4 months trying to resist the temptation to login because I knew I would buy something, and what happened? The second I login I decide to buy the 385's and be a test dummy. It's not only headphones either. I ordered a pair of Supra Vaider's that arrived today. So it seems my shopping spree has just begun. Most-likely buying the VSD1 tomorrow after I get the 385s.

It's awesome though that you are taking one for the team with the 385's. At this point in my spree, I don't know if I would prefer that you love them or that you hate them lol!

Quote:
Impressions on Supra's. Very thick with great appeal. The build quality is top notch. You can definitely feel how sturdy this pair is. The sole is very thick and luscious. The material is well stitched . The tongue is enveloping. The pair has great width and depth. On the negative they are a bit heavy footed--probably due to the thick construction--and a bit rigid. However, I have high expectations after the burn-in process is complete.

Lol! 

May 23, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #10,041 of 100,251
Quote:
They are great and the build quality is admirable. From what I recall, I really love the bass on those, very tight! BUT I can't listen to it for longer sessions. Quite fatiguing after an hour or two. That's why I don't think it comes close to the DX210. I can listen to them Bassos for hours and hours...

Not only are they easy to listen to, they are enjoyable to listen to. They seem well balanced to me, with a nice, full and engaging sound. The bass is wonderful and controlled, the mids seem to be a bit more forward than neutral (ie engaging), and the treble also seems sparkly and detailed but without being fatiguing. Very enjoyable!

May 24, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #10,042 of 100,251
Not only are they easy to listen to, they are enjoyable to listen to. They seem well balanced to me, with a nice, full and engaging sound. The bass is wonderful and controlled, the mids seem to be a bit more forward than neutral (ie engaging), and the treble also seems sparkly and detailed but without being fatiguing. Very enjoyable!

That's exactly my experience. Well said, Wayne!

May 24, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #10,043 of 100,251
Quote:
Sorry Leo, I haven't tried comply tips on my 70's. I did go back and listen to them (still with 3590 tips) for a few hours last night to verify my impression of the absence of harshness. I cannot emphasize enough how excellent they sound now. The harshness is completely absent. The mids and highs are clear, airy and beautiful. At slightly above medium volume the bass was not painful and the whole sound signature was exceptional.

I particularly enjoyed some Vangelis tracks from Blade Runner as well as many other genres from classical to Hendrix. I'm not as skilled at describing sound characteristics as some other headfiers. The phrase "depth of field" kept coming to mind. All the instruments and vocals were beautifully clear and airy.

These tips transform the CKN70 IEMs into a shockingly improved listening experience. If the comply tips didn't tame them for you I would strongly suggest giving the Philips tips a try. The IEM itself is under $10 and comes with S,M and L tips. I found that the medium size fit me best.  ...will look forward to impressions from other folks.

Thanks digirato and everyone else who have chipped with their respective finding in regards to the tip choices. Will try all the tips suggested here. 

May 24, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #10,044 of 100,251

That's exactly my experience. Well said, Wayne!

Shouldn't we be discussing this in the new Zero Audio appreciation thread? :p

http://www.head-fi.org/t/665111/zero-audio-zh-dx200-carbo-tenore-zh-dx210-carbo-basso-appreciation-and-impressions-thread-more-japanese-iem-giant-killers/

Let the hype train begin! :D

May 24, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #10,046 of 100,251
Quote:
So vsd1 is in the run too, this thread is like never ending story 
rolleyes.gif
Well for me 41$ is ok so I think vsd1 is favorite over carbo tenore. Hope the discount lasts few more days to think this thru.

I think its running till Sunday.

I'm gonna have the Tenores and VSD1, coz this is Head-Fi and I simply cannot resist the temptation lol 
size]

May 24, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #10,047 of 100,251
Oh look what the postman brought me, 4 weeks after ordering!

Better late then never I guess, still doesn't set a very good experience ordering anything from the US.

May 24, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #10,049 of 100,251
Quote:
Blame customs... they seem to have upped their interference over here too, as anything from the US takes longer than it used to (2-3 weeks instead of 1-2).

Yeah, which is such a shame since there is a lot of stuff I would like to order from the US lol

On another note, my Zero Audio Carbo Tenore has been shipped today by Tenso. 
size]

I reckon Thursday or Friday next week is gonna be a good day!! 
size]

May 24, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #10,050 of 100,251

Users who are viewing this thread

Back