The discovery thread!
Oct 7, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #3,647 of 100,393
Quote:
A little update on the FAD Adagio III. The bass is phenomenal! Yes, the bass is is as large (if not just a tick or two shy) as the XB90. But what is even more amazing is the soundstage. The soundstage is inline and comparable to the soundstage in the IE8, but without the veil over the sound that I sensed in the Senn. I think the mids take a bit of a back seat to the bass (but I wouldn't call the mids recessed). What you get is vocals that aren't as forward as they are in D80 and D70 as a comparison, but you get a sweeping large soundstage for an instrument like the acoustic piano. I mean there are few other IEMs that I've heard that has made the piano sound so full. Treble.... Now treble is interesting. If you like highs that are sort of harshed (EX600 or EX1000), well this won't be the earphone for you. I find the treble to be just enough for my ears with nice extension. But here's the rub: the III is a wide-bore nozzle. Usually I've found that tips with the widest tip end helps bring the most music out of the IEMs with widest nozzles. I've been tip rolling and threw on some Auvio tips. Well that was much too much bass to my ears and it seem to diminish the highs. But I decided to try tips with a smaller opening. First, I used some tips from the M4. It gave some improvement in the highs, but the sound was still kind of off to me. I rarely like standard tips, and those were just okay (the ones that came with the IEM). Then I decided to dig out some Sony hybrids some friends sent to me a while back. BAM! (pun intended). Bass is still impactful; the mids are pushed a bit more forwards; and the highs are pushed a bit more forward too. A perfect blend of the entire sound spectrum on a wide soundstage palette. 

I want to say something about the bass again. This BAM system gives a powerful bass that's very clean. It reminds of the bass of the DDM, except that bass never sounded as clean. I wouldn't call the sound of the III warm or cool at this point, but it is a dry sound. Is it better than other IEMs in its price realm (AF56, CKM500, D80/D70, etc.)?  Well, it's better than the CKM500 to my ears definitely. The others, I wouldn't say it's better or worst. I would say it does some things better (like the massive soundstage), but it really depends on the individual's sound preferences. Overall in sound, I think the JVCs still possess the best sound quality, but the III doesn't sound like any other IEM I own right now - and it sounds damn good! So that's a plus in my book.  

very interested in this, I have the re272 on the way, but always keep one bass phone at hand as well.  What caught my eye though was you soundstaging comments on the piano, my favourite artist is Ludovico Einaudi so now im very tempted to try this out :)  How long did Shipping from AJ take?  cheers

Oct 7, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #3,648 of 100,393
Quote:
Earpods are great and i sold 4 iphone 5 for 40$ lol
tongue.gif

OMG OMG OMG, you selling iphone 5s for $40's a pop, hook a brotha up mochill!!!

And it comes with those earpods for FREE, deal of a century herrrr.

Forget this cheapo discovery thread, I need to be on that $40 iphone 5 one mochill is on.
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #3,651 of 100,393
Quote:
@eric

You've convinced me to order a pair of the FAD's.  Sounds too good to pass up and the price is right.  

Ditto..

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #3,652 of 100,393
DannyBai and Carisan I'm moret impressed each moment I spend with it. I don't think either one of you will be disappointed. 

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #3,653 of 100,393
I can feel that train starting to toot them horns.! A bit off topic but. Don't know if you guys heard about the XBA-3s at future shop being sold for $100.

I managed to luck out. No I ain't Canadian but my best friend is. I told him to look into it for me and what you know. It looks like I will be the lucky recipient of a brand new XBA-3 for $100. The very last one they had there too as the deal was too good to be true it seems. But it was a legit deal.

But I did hear Sony is matching prices so it might be worth calling up your local Sony style shop to grab what I feel is a mighty deal indeed.

Oct 8, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #3,654 of 100,393
Quote:
how would you guys compare the fx40s to re zeroes?

RE-ZERO is less bright. FX40 has a slight V-shaped sound. RE-ZERO is much flatter and has more treble extension.
Bass quantity is higher with FX40. I don't own a RE-ZERO anymore so can't give more impressions.

I'm not really impressed by FX40, soundstage is narrow and they are bright. Bass is good though and mids are fine. Perhaps they need some burn-in.

Could be tips, seal, ... but still not what I expected.
I am getting more sceptical when I read about another amazing, cheap IEM here. After 5 minutes of impressions I start reading things about the sound that makes me think how can you tell this this soon. It takes me at least 5 songs to get an idea and another 5 songs to get basic impressions.

Oct 8, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #3,655 of 100,393
Quote:
I can feel that train starting to toot them horns.! A bit off topic but. Don't know if you guys heard about the XBA-3s at future shop being sold for $100.

I managed to luck out. No I ain't Canadian but my best friend is. I told him to look into it for me and what you know. It looks like I will be the lucky recipient of a brand new XBA-3 for $100. The very last one they had there too as the deal was too good to be true it seems. But it was a legit deal.

But I did hear Sony is matching prices so it might be worth calling up your local Sony style shop to grab what I feel is a mighty deal indeed.

I bought one through a head-fi'er as well. I guess we'll be getting them at the same time.

Oct 8, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #3,658 of 100,393
yeaaah, my sonys are here!!! I just need to go and get them from the shipping agent. will come back with some initial impressions in several hours :)

I've never been this excited since the last time I had sex :\ gosh, I need to ease up on this whole iem business before it's too late :D

Oct 8, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #3,659 of 100,393
I was just wondering about that - I clearly remember you reviewing those and it didn't cause any excitement that time... I guess you should've posted that review here, if you wanted to hype it up lol

Yeh it was good but way too much bass to get excited over. It IS good but I would not hype it at all. I have posted here before but was for the Beyer XP series, 3 especially I really think one if you guys should get one, they are AWESOME!

Oct 8, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #3,660 of 100,393
Everyone (as we keep saying) hears differently. Swimsonny is not wrong in the way he hears the III. Neither am I. When we speak of soundstage I've noticed that a few people have different meaning to that terminology. I think the III has a wide expansive soundstage. Some others may hear the soundstage as something different. 

I agree that the III has a LOT OF BASS!! (actually the XB90 has more), but I disagree that it's nothing to get excited about. If you're a basshead, it's a lot to get excited about. If you're not a basshead and like a more neutral sound, then this IEM is not for you. I like a variety of sound signatures, but I'm more of a basshead than not one. Also, as I've found out, the bass can be tamed somewhat depending on the tips. This is a very nice IEM for the money. Is it a giant killer?  No. But from the $150 range and below it sits toward the tops to my ears.

Congrats Dsnuts on the Sony XBA-3. That seems like a great price. I wish I hadn't spent so much on the XBA-4, but I still think it's better sounding than it gets credit for. But $200 or less for those XBAs definitely makes them worth it I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back