The discovery thread!
Oct 9, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #3,677 of 100,327
Hi guys,

I have been lurking for some time now and after reading all your great reviews about the xb90ex (thanks for that!) I just ordered them from Japan through Amazon.
But I have a small question about the ear tips. In an earlier post Dsnuts wrote that with the bigger wider meelec tips (TS3-SF-L-50-BK I guess) the sound of the xb90ex was even better. In another post Nihontoman stated that his meelec ear tips got stuck in his ears when trying to remove them. So my question is, Dsnuts what meelec ear tips did you use and are these the same Nihontoman uses? And do these tips perfectly fit on the xb90ex? Because I am considering to order the meelec tips too.

Thank you for all the great efforts on this forum!

Alex from The Netherlands

Oct 9, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #3,678 of 100,327
Quote:
Hi guys,

I have been lurking for some time now and after reading all your great reviews about the xb90ex (thanks for that!) I just ordered them from Japan through Amazon.
But I have a small question about the ear tips. In an earlier post Dsnuts wrote that with the bigger wider meelec tips (TS3-SF-L-50-BK I guess) the sound of the xb90ex was even better. In another post Nihontoman stated that his meelec ear tips got stuck in his ears when trying to remove them. So my question is, Dsnuts what meelec ear tips did you use and are these the same Nihontoman uses? And do these tips perfectly fit on the xb90ex? Because I am considering to order the meelec tips too.

Thank you for all the great efforts on this forum!

Alex from The Netherlands

Hello. good choice you made there going for xb90ex :) hope you'll like them.

as for the tips - yes, those are the tips I wanted to fit on, but my guess is that the ones that I tried to use were already old and heavily used.  Meelec M21 has wider nozzle than sony and that as well as the age had some effect on them I guess :D on the other hand, I'm now using medium tips that came with my able planet. These didn't see any use and are quite a sturdy fit on sonys' somewhat smaller nozzle. these have exactle the same bore diameter as the meelecs and I'm pretty sure meelecs will be o.k. too, if they are new and in your case they will be new :) so no worries, order them and enjoy. they are perfect shape, slightly more comfortable than able planet tips but oh well :D

all this talk about tips reminded me that I have some iems that came stock with my sony ericsson xperia (which sound pretty damn nice) and their tips are also wide bored and now that I've tried them - the most comfortable on sonys :D I'm not kidding, almost everything is the same as the meelec tips but somehow they isolate better and fit better... strange :/

Oct 9, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #3,679 of 100,327
Hello. good choice you made there going for xb90ex :) hope you'll like them.

as for the tips - yes, those are the tips I wanted to fit on, but my guess is that the ones that I tried to use were already old and heavily used.  Meelec M21 has wider nozzle than sony and that as well as the age had some effect on them I guess :D on the other hand, I'm now using medium tips that came with my able planet. These didn't see any use and are quite a sturdy fit on sonys' somewhat smaller nozzle. these have exactle the same bore diameter as the meelecs and I'm pretty sure meelecs will be o.k. too, if they are new and in your case they will be new :) so no worries, order them and enjoy. they are perfect shape, slightly more comfortable than able planet tips but oh well :D
did u say the sonys are bright in the highs?

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #3,681 of 100,327
The highs one the XB90EX on open box sound almost recessed..It is the reason why they sound so smooth on open box. Surprisingly enough after a solid burn in and tip change the highs have much better presence and ends up being solid. The highs on Sony iems and headphones are rolled off meaning there will be no harshness or sibilance to any of your music. Compared to many other iems the highs are actually tame in comparison but I wouldn't say lacking in any way. If it was up to me I would add maybe a bit more emphasis but for what is on there there they sound great. You get a big bold smooth deep sound with the XB90EX..

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #3,683 of 100,327
The highs one the XB90EX on open box sound almost recessed..It is the reason why they sound so smooth on open box. Surprisingly enough after a solid burn in and tip change the highs have much better presence and ends up being solid. The highs on Sony iems and headphones are rolled off meaning there will be no harshness or sibilance to any of your music. Compared to many other iems the highs are actually tame in comparison but I wouldn't say lacking in any way. If it was up to me I would add maybe a bit more emphasis but for what is on there there they sound great. You get a big bold smooth deep sound with the XB90EX..
thanks ds these are my next iem.as i hate sibbalence

Oct 9, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #3,686 of 100,327
Quote:
in your review of the sonys u mention sibbalence in them ,but ds says there are zero sibbalence ,i need to be sure the highs aint to sparkly and sibbalence as i hate that

I guess it's just me - I'm too sensitive to high frequencies... also, the sibilance I experienced was only with one track and very minimal at that. 

Oct 9, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #3,688 of 100,327
I guess it's just me - I'm too sensitive to high frequencies... also, the sibilance I experienced was only with one track and very minimal at that. 
me too im sensitive to sibbalence too. may pass on these and get the cheap fx3x ebay seller pandjshop 30 dollars .any1 know if he is legit.he is like 30 dollars cheaper also states genuine in massive text next to his iem ,why would you state genuine .ps do they even make fake fx3x yet

Oct 9, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #3,689 of 100,327
There is more of a chance for sibilance on the X3X than the XB90. There is no chance for sibilance on the XB90. The X3X need a long burn in for the highs to mellow. The XB90 need a long burn in for the highs to show.. If you want something in that price range I believe there is a used pair of XB60EX floating around the sale forums. I would check there. Here you go. http://www.head-fi.org/t/629348/sony-xb60ex#post_8731941

Oct 9, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #3,690 of 100,327
The XB30EX and XB60EX has a tendency for more sibilance than the XB90EX.  I am extremely sensitive to sibilance and the XB90EX hasn't bothered me so far but I noticed it with the 30 and 60's.  Mind you, the 90's has a lot more burn in.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back