THE best female vocals? (your favorite female singers)
Dec 15, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #706 of 5,018

Quote:
Sorry to say this, but every user which has more then 5+ singers in his list and yet dont have Lisar Gerrard in it? what where you thinking?!

I dunno if many of you guys dont know this woman, or its the style of the music she make you dont like?

You guys should make it clear, is your list actually female singers which make music you prefer, (hence they get your vote) or just the best vocal?

My votes goes to,

1. Lisa Gerrard
2. Maria Callas

Others? can't even come close....

Personally, I didn't mention Lisa Gerrard because she'd already been mentioned earlier in the thread.

As far as the whys and wherefores of people recommending each singer, why worry about it - we're all providing Youtube links in this thread so you can very swiftly decide upon whether you like each suggestion or not, and no harm done.

Happy days.

Dec 15, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #707 of 5,018
Dec 17, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #709 of 5,018

I'm unabashedly in love with this song.

Dec 20, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #711 of 5,018
Country is one of the few genres that I never really appreciated, but boy, Jennifer Nettles of Sugarland just oozes talent, and heart
I love the way her voice meshes with her male counterpart, and their positivity is very refreshing.

They are also excellent performers - they look like they have a lot of fun

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #712 of 5,018
Really enjoying Lana Del Ray lately

I havent heard a lot of her music yet, and she seems to have a pretty eclectic range so lets not assume these 4 videos represent her completely

oh.. and shes Gorgeous!

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #713 of 5,018

Quote:

I'm unabashedly in love with this song.

I am perplexed by this woman... she's great!, but when I heard her voice i started asking myself..   ok self.. is that an irish accent, .. no not quite, maybe icelandic??  so of course, wikipedia to the rescue.. she's american!?!??! whoooaaaaaahh??  i dont believe it, wikipedia must be wrong, so i listented to an interview.. ok.. she's very american..

i dont think i've ever heard a vocalist take on an accent when they sing, certainly not this thick..usually its the other way around.

anyway Thanks for sharing, She's going on "the list"!

... I also enjoy watching her face contort as she sings... :wink:

Dec 25, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #714 of 5,018
Looking at the name of this topic, Cinderella Effect poped into my mind (no good videos on YouTube, but this gives you the idea):

She also did the best version (IMO) of the Zombie. You can also hear on YT, but sound quality is below moderate.

And I have enjoyed this very much:

And, upon investigating my YouTube favourites - these:

Dec 25, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #715 of 5,018
Hmmm... 'Bethany & Rufus' are interesting...

Re' ABBA - 'I Let The Music Speak' - wow, now there's a blast from the past. I'm actually a life-long fan of ABBA (passively, not proactively), simply because I grew up with my parents playing their albums during the late 1970s / early 80s. Nice to see someone else appreciate their stuff, given that they are written-off by many people as being cheesy pop. 'The Vistors' (ABBA's last album) was actually a lot more mature and refined than some of their earlier offerings, and tracks like 'I Let The Music Speak' and 'Like an Angel Passing Through My Room' were particularly civilised. Unfortunately, the audio quality of the master tapes is imperfect (at least on my circa 1997 Remaster CD), so there are some audible anomalies on certain tracks, but putting that to one side for a moment, Anni-Frid's vocals are nicely closely-mic'd on the aforementioned 2 tracks, and backed by some nice instrumentation. I still enjoy listening to ABBA's albums every now and then, even after 30-plus years of listening.

Benny And Bjorn also co-wrote (with Tim Rice) the musical, 'Chess'. I'm not generally a fan of musicals but Chess was nicely done with some quite decent production values and a couple of nice tracks ('I Know Him So Well' made it into the charts, for example).

Memories...
smile.gif

Dec 26, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #716 of 5,018
I also very-very like this album:

A little demonstration why:

Quote:
 I'm actually a life-long fan of ABBA (passively, not proactively), simply because I grew up with my parents playing their albums during the late 1970s / early 80s.

Same here, I enjoyed listening to my parents' vinyls. Except it wasn't in 70's or 80's - I'm only 22 yrs old
smile.gif

Thanks for recommending Chess, I didn't know of this work.

Jan 5, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #717 of 5,018
I love when i hear a new artist, and think.. oh surely someone has mentioned this one already.. but NOOOOOOPE!  another diamond in the ruff!

ok, well this first video has over 5 million views, so maybe she's not so much in the ruff persay.. :wink:

Edit: upon further inspection, this explains a few things - In November 2011, Agnes Obel wins at the Danish Music Awards five prizes for : Best Album Of The Year, Best Pop Release Of The Year, Best Debut Artist Of The Year, Best Female Artist Of The Year and Best Songwriter Of The Year.

May I Introduce Danish beauty, and one of my new favorite singers - Agnes Obel:

Jan 5, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #718 of 5,018
Alison Sudol aka 'A Fine Frenzy'. Very dry sounding recordings. Such a soothing voice.

Jan 5, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #720 of 5,018
Hey, thanks, Alexium, I really like that Heather Masse 'Bird Song' track, Very nice.

I also noticed these, on Youtube, when I watched the Heather Masse track, which are also rather nice:

Live version:

...and, by extension, I like this, by the 'Wailin' Jennys', of whom Ruth Moody (above) is a member:

Also see:

Sarah McLachlan
Sinead Lohan
Leddra Chapman
Alison Krauss
Aoife O'Donovan
Billie Tweddle
Eddi Reader
Vienna Teng
Natalie Merchant
Thea Gilmore
Amy Holford (AKA Eva Stone)