THE best female vocals? (your favorite female singers)
Nov 29, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #692 of 5,018
Really like the following:

Ella Fitzgerald
Sarah Vaughan
Gladys Knight
Rosemary Clooney
Lauryn Hill

Gotta throw up some Rosie!

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #696 of 5,018

Quote:
Nice moustache - not sure about the voice, though 
wink.gif

Sounds a bit like Bjork, actually...

did you listen to enough to hear the other singer in the group.. there are two.. one "bjorkish" and the other "operahish" They are sisters.   they are a great compliment to each other.

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #697 of 5,018
Yes, I did - but I was under the impression she was 'background', rather than the 'star attraction', even though I did prefer her singing.

Interesting, but a little too 'off the wall' for me, I'm afraid.

Keep em comin'.... 
popcorn.gif

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #700 of 5,018
Sorry to say this, but every user which has more then 5+ singers in his list and yet dont have Lisar Gerrard in it? what where you thinking?!

I dunno if many of you guys dont know this woman, or its the style of the music she make you dont like?

You guys should make it clear, is your list actually female singers which make music you prefer, (hence they get your vote) or just the best vocal?

My votes goes to,

1. Lisa Gerrard
2. Maria Callas

Others? can't even come close....

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #701 of 5,018
I don't remember who recommended her but thanks for recommending Lisa Hannigan her albums have entered my playlist(very hard achievement) and her (I Don't Know) is playing right now.

Dec 15, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #702 of 5,018
Sorry to say this, but every user which has more then 5+ singers in his list and yet dont have Lisar Gerrard in it? what where you thinking?!

I dunno if many of you guys dont know this woman, or its the style of the music she make you dont like?

You guys should make it clear, is your list actually female singers which make music you prefer, (hence they get your vote) or just the best vocal?

My votes goes to,

1. Lisa Gerrard
2. Maria Callas

Others? can't even come close....

Ehh i guess its the style of music. Not to say anything against anyones preferences but just because her voice is haunting good when singing like that, well doesn't make her the greatest singer in the world. It isn't lively and i cant tell if it has lyrics but in the end its all preference.
Also i think Female Vocals is a genre, not just any female that sings, while the music and feel might be very different they still share in common the way the Female sings. If she would sing a song like Lisa Hannigan, Lykke Li, or Marlango(my personal favorites) we could judge how good she is at this type of singing.
Don't get me wrong, im a fan of it, its just not the same thing.

Dec 15, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #703 of 5,018

Quote:
I don't remember who recommended her but thanks for recommending Lisa Hannigan her albums have entered my playlist(very hard achievement) and her (I Don't Know) is playing right now.

I think that was me. i found her by accident looking for someone else a few days ago.. i got her album passenger a couple days later and I'm just loving it.

and now you've got me started :wink:

i consider myself to be very picky about female vocalists (maybe everyone does) but she's got something really special.  When i pushed play on her album for the first time, 2 seconds, i literally had a jaw dropping moment and just said.. woah! 
her presense is just instantaneous.  I didnt know what she was singing about, and the song was by no means sad, but i just started to cry.   That's saying a lot.

she has that perfect blend of smokey-ness, her irish accent comes through just enough, and her heart just pours out. 

...oh, and she's beautiful.

Dec 15, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #704 of 5,018
I think that was me. i found her by accident looking for someone else a few days ago.. i got her album passenger a couple days later and I'm just loving it.

and now you've got me started :wink:

i consider myself to be very picky about female vocalists (maybe everyone does) but she's got something really special.  When i pushed play on her album for the first time, 2 seconds, i literally had a jaw dropping moment and just said.. woah! 
her presense is just instantaneous.  I didnt know what she was singing about, and the song was by no means sad, but i just started to cry.   That's saying a lot.

she has that perfect blend of smokey-ness, her irish accent comes through just enough, and her heart just pours out. 

...oh, and she's beautiful.

Ya it was you, remember your avatar above that post for some reason, guess it was just a very memorable moment hearing her for the first time. I got her Sea Sew album with her Live at Fingerprints in Flac and it sounds absolutely gorgeous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back