The Astell & Kern AK240
Jan 6, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #213 of 9,131
  Vinnie - Is it absolutely impossible to increase the internal storage of the AK120?

Thanks.

The only way to do it is to run a ribbon cable from the card slot to an external XD card.  
I saw posts about people doing this (I think with 256GB), but never tried it.

Internally, the 64GB SanDisk storage chip on the AK120 is a BGA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_grid_array

One needs a machine to remove and install a new one, and an X-ray machine to make sure all those balls are connected
under the chip.  And I haven't even mentioned any SW compatibility issues that will probably come up.  

Actually, I think we both know that some of those AK120 sales are because you make the DAP more viable for buyers who wouldn't otherwise be tempted.

Thank you - and this is the feedback that I have received.  But I have already received emails if I'll be doing anything with the AK240.  I'm really not sure at this point if it will be
worth doing anything or not.  Even after modded, it would have to sound a lot better than the RWAK120 / 120-S / 120-B and with the switch from Wolfson to Cirrus Logic, I'm not so
sure about it.  We'll see, but I think the AK240 is more about more features than best possible sound.  I hope I am wrong...

Jan 6, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #214 of 9,131

The only way to do it is to run a ribbon cable from the card slot to an external XD card.  
I saw posts about people doing this (I think with 256GB), but never tried it.

Internally, the 64GB SanDisk storage chip on the AK120 is a BGA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_grid_array

One needs a machine to remove and install a new one, and an X-ray machine to make sure all those balls are connected
under the chip.  And I haven't even mentioned any SW compatibility issues that will probably come up.  

Thank you - and this is the feedback that I have received.  But I have already received emails if I'll be doing anything with the AK240.  I'm really not sure at this point if it will be
worth doing anything or not.  Even after modded, it would have to sound a lot better than the RWAK120 / 120-S / 120-B and with the switch from Wolfson to Cirrus Logic, I'm not so
sure about it.  We'll see, but I think the AK240 is more about more features than best possible sound.  I hope I am wrong...

I have the capabilities to replace them and was thinking to try actually, but not sure which chip to use and worried the firmware  / sw compatibility. Further more work without profiling might damage the board / chip permanently.

Jan 6, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #216 of 9,131
It's in the english main website now too.
Photo rendering makes it look nicer now compared to the earlier picture. But the triangular seems toned down in the picture compared to the real product...
Looks like it has a carbon fiber back design too.

Jan 6, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #220 of 9,131
$2,400USD.....

Yeah, I knew it would be stupid-expensive, but damn.  More power to those who get this new rig, and I hope for anyone who has to stretch to get this it doesn't disappoint.  iRiver is REALLY feeling their oats with this one, and I have little doubt they'll sell plenty.  LAMO, the 120 Titan seems like a bargain.  Maybe that's their strategy, hahaha!!

Jan 6, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #221 of 9,131
May I know what kind of connector is "Balanced Out (2.5mm, only 4-pole supported)"?

AK240: Balance 2.3Vrms (Condition No Load)
HM901 balance card: Low Gain    2.32v (179mw)           High Gain 3.91v(477mw)  (30R load)    

Jan 6, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #222 of 9,131
Actually, looks like the designers in A&K probably got the idea from some isometric illusions they came across.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back