The Astell & Kern AK240
Jan 6, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #198 of 9,131
  can you tell me what the optical line out does on the ak120? I thought you could simply use the headphone slot to plug into a speaker to play?

The optical lets you connect an external DAC or DAC-Amp (provided the DAC or DAC-Amp has an optical socket - some only offer Coaxial connection). Ibasso's DX100 also has this option. In either case, it's not compulsory to use it. The AK120 (and the DX100) will drive headphones/IEMs/CIEMs on it's own, with no external DAC or Amp actually required.

It's just that audiophiles love to upgrade components all the time, so optical out helps in this regard.

Jan 6, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #199 of 9,131
 is the new DAC cirrus chip better than the wolfson 8740 and 8741? How is it different to the wolfson chips?

I definitely prefer the WM8741 to a CS4398 - I can't think of any reason why they went with CS4398 except to get better battery life, and lower cost.  CS4398 is less power hungry and cheaper, but I'll take WM8741 any day of the week!  Or an AKM4396 dac....

They could have also done native DSD with the WM8741, and could of ran the WM8741 in software mode to allow the user to change the digital filters via the screen menus (e.g. Linear phase filter, minimal phase filter).  That would have been so sweet.  

For the $2400 asking price (that is what I read on DAR's Facebook page), I would have loved to also see:

-- The enclosure more useful in terms of fitting a bigger battery to get better play time
-- More onboard storage (256GB is good, but 2 x 256GB on board would make me drool!)
-- Fitting an analog volume control instead of a digital one like they've been doing.   
-- A design focused on sound that could beat out many DAP + headphone amp combos and drive almost any headphone out there (with low, med, and high gain settings).  
-- The AK100/AK120 screen size is fine.  Save the space for a kick ass headphone stage!  

Hopefully it sounds excellent and better than any other DAP since it will top them all on price.   I wish them all the best with it as they have been pushing the envelope with DAPs and I'm sure it has been a lot of hard work in doing so, and frustrating and rewarding at the same time. I'm looking forward to listening to one, but I won't be at CES unfortunately.

Vinnie

Jan 6, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #200 of 9,131

For the $2400 asking price (that is what I read on DAR's Facebook page), I would have loved to also see:

eek.gif

eek.gif

eek.gif

eek.gif

Jan 6, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #201 of 9,131

eek.gif

eek.gif

eek.gif

eek.gif

Well, maybe it can drive STAX SR009s, AKG K1000s, HE-6s  
biggrin.gif
.....   we'll know more about it tomorrow from CES 

Jan 6, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #203 of 9,131

Well, maybe it can drive STAX SR009s, AKG K1000s, HE-6s  
biggrin.gif
.....   we'll know more about it tomorrow from CES 

LOL, well if it's packing more brawn than a DX100 I'll be rather surprised, but yeah, we'll know more about it tomorrow...

Jan 6, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #204 of 9,131

I definitely prefer the WM8741 to a CS4398 - I can't think of any reason why they went with CS4398 except to get better battery life, and lower cost.  CS4398 is less power hungry and cheaper, but I'll take WM8741 any day of the week!  Or an AKM4396 dac....

They could have also done native DSD with the WM8741, and could of ran the WM8741 in software mode to allow the user to change the digital filters via the screen menus (e.g. Linear phase filter, minimal phase filter).  That would have been so sweet.  

-- The enclosure more useful in terms of fitting a bigger battery to get better play time
-- More onboard storage (256GB is good, but 2 x 256GB on board would make me drool!)
-- Fitting an analog volume control instead of a digital one like they've been doing.   
-- A design focused on sound that could beat out many DAP + headphone amp combos and drive almost any headphone out there (with low, med, and high gain settings).  
-- The AK100/AK120 screen size is fine.  Save the space for a kick ass headphone stage!  

Hopefully it sounds excellent and better than any other DAP since it will top them all on price.   I wish them all the best with it as they have been pushing the envelope with DAPs and I'm sure it has been a lot of hard work in doing so, and frustrating and rewarding at the same time. I'm looking forward to listening to one, but I won't be at CES unfortunately.

Vinnie

2.4K ?!! For that price, I hope they include some of the weed they are smoking...honestly, if they expect me to pay the price of a used car for a SQ that will not easily top my 901 balanced and do barely better than a ZX1 at 3 times the price...

When you come to think of it, 2.4K is almost what my 901 + Tera + ZX1 cost me....so no thanks. Might be checking out Calyx or X5/X7/DX90 instead.

Jan 6, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #206 of 9,131
LOL - everyone was complaining about the AK120 price and that nobody would buy it for $1299.  
Well, I know they are selling because I sell and mod a lot of them - more than
the AK100.  I did not expect that...

It would be a big laugh on us all of they have record sales with the AK240. 
wink.gif

If it is worth $2.4k to someone and they have the $$$ to spend, let them enjoy it - even if you think they are crazy.   
eek.gif

Jan 6, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #208 of 9,131
  LOL - everyone was complaining about the AK120 price and that nobody would buy it for $1299.  
Well, I know they are selling because I sell and mod a lot of them - more than
the AK100.  I did not expect that...

It would be a big laugh on us all of they have record sales with the AK240. 
wink.gif

If it is worth $2.4k to someone and they have the $$$ to spend, let them enjoy it - even if you think they are crazy.   
eek.gif

Vinnie - you gain regardless, so I think you are 'somewhat' biased! LOL

Actually, I think we both know that some of those AK120 sales are because you make the DAP more viable for buyers who wouldn't otherwise be tempted.

Jan 6, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #210 of 9,131

[snip]

Vinnie

I kinda agree with you about the CS4398. I had that DAC in my old Marantz DV9500 back in 2003 (or 2004 or 2005??). I think the folks in Japan may like it though as (IMHO) it does have a mellow signature - compared to the Wolfsons. BTW, maybe the CS4398 makes it harder for it to be re-chipped (get my meaning :wink:??).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back