The Astell & Kern AK240
Jan 7, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #302 of 9,131
  Guys, if Rudi really likes it enough to buy it, I will be sure to demo this thoroughly. He is honest and tells it likes he hears it. That counts for something even in head-fi

I agree on this completely, he is definitely honest and helpful, whenever I ask him a question, he tests and tells his honest opinion. The nice thing is, he has money to buy the gear and his experience helps us.

Jan 7, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #303 of 9,131

Are they reliable? Maybe they wanted to be first and this price is safe option for them. This is nothing new in Europe. I'm petty sure that official presetation was planned for today.

either the distro getting greedy or iriver jacked up the export price for this part of asia

Jan 7, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #304 of 9,131
It will be extremely expensive, no doubt, but I don't thing they would have improved the Ui which is not on par with the less expensive Sony, library still loads forever etc..
I also think it's an acquired taste looks wise , not everyone's cup of tea.
Let the exclusivity begin then..but with the likes of Fiio and Sony (and I am sure more to come) I don't think the sound would justify it even if it's a bit better or on par with say..the HM brick:D

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #305 of 9,131
this is just a pure greed. nothing more than that, i mean if we think it from the perspective of how much profit they are making from / per UNIT.in other words so how much it would have cost them to make one (not more than 600).[since ssd are also cheap these days..now think about zx1-have 128gb on board and cost around $700. not to forget sony is still making profit out of it]...so if it cost $600(may be less... bought the parts in bulk)..what makes them think that they can sell it over 2K. now do the simple math

2400-600=1800(profit/unit)
angry_face.gif

even companies like ap**e are not that greedy in terms of profit per unit. they need to change their business strategy..from minimum sell with max profit TO max sell with min profit..all we need to do is just not play stupid again....and let them know what it means to be a mean.
devil_face.gif

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #306 of 9,131
scary price....

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #307 of 9,131
  this is just a pure greed. nothing more than that, i mean if we think it from the perspective of how much profit they are making from / per UNIT.in other words so how much it would have cost them to make one (not more than 600).[since ssd are also cheap these days..now think about zx1-have 128gb on board and cost around $700. not to forget sony is still making profit out of it]...so if it cost $600(may be less... bought the parts in bulk)..what makes them think that they can sell it over 2K. now do the simple math

angry_face.gif

even companies like ap**e are not that greedy in terms of profit per unit. they need to change their business strategy..from minimum sell with max profit TO max sell with min profit..all we need to do is just not play stupid again....and let them know what it means to be a mean.
devil_face.gif

True... don't think they're individually hand crafted either .lol.

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #309 of 9,131

angry_face.gif

devil_face.gif

Per unit price relates a lot to # of units sold and this sort of pricing is typical for relatively low production boutique products built to a high standard of quality and user friendliness. The complaining about price is really getting old. We all know it's expensive. Simple enough to just not buy or participate if it doesn't suit you.

By the way, if it cost $600 in parts to make, they go under selling it for $2k via normal channels. It doesn't cost $600 to make but there's a lot of tooling, overhead, marketing and R&D to amortize and bring up actual costs. Not knowing how strong a market will be for top tier product tends to bring up pricing. The value equation is different for everyone. 

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #310 of 9,131
Also is anyone familiar with CS4398 chip? Is it better than ES9018?

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #312 of 9,131
Also is anyone familiar with CS4398 chip? Is it better than ES9018?
My personal take on the CS4398 :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/697166/the-astell-kern-ak240/200_20#post_10138276

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #315 of 9,131
My personal take on the CS4398 :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/697166/the-astell-kern-ak240/200_20#post_10138276

Thank you~..
Not mellow sound again...we already have ak120. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back