The Astell & Kern AK240
Jan 7, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #272 of 9,131
Jan 7, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #273 of 9,131
Hong Kong selling price is HKD29,000, works out about USD3,700. Expensive.

I would spend that extra markup for a vacation in tokyo or seoul if i were to buy one. You dont have to copy how AK does their business just to be a distro.

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #274 of 9,131
From what has been announced so far price seems to be TBD or does someone know for sure this is $2,400?
$2,400.... better deliver the goods.. Even Apple didn't have the gall to do that.

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #275 of 9,131
Hong Kong selling price is HKD29,000, works out about USD3,700. Expensive.

I am sure a few local businessmen won't mind having their wallet raped... 

Sure A&K plans to sell some AK240 units but I have the impression that it's mostly a brand image effort. We're all talking about it, be it its features, its polarizing design or its outrageous price tag. And it will help sell the entry-level models, which almost look like a bargain now 
regular_smile .gif

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #277 of 9,131
i think the price will be 1995,- $. Going over 2k would be very very expensive. I doubt the people are willing to spend 2400 on a portable device. I for myself wont buy it... but be prepared for the ak100 MKIII and ak120 MKII

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #278 of 9,131

*** that's £2250 GBP... you got to add 20%VAT to that, £2700 approx.... yeah right, I could get me a Hugo+ZX1 and have £700 for some CIEM/IEM's, go figure.

Actually add the new Calyx M to that and that's about right...

http://www.calyx.kr/

The Calyx M looks really interesting given the pedigree and coming out after the AK120.
Won't be surprised this will crush the AK120. Question is where does that put the AK240?

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #279 of 9,131
i think the price will be 1995,- $. Going over 2k would be very very expensive. I doubt the people are willing to spend 2400 on a portable device. I for myself wont buy it... but be prepared for the ak100 MKIII and ak120 MKII

You are aware that this is head-fi here, right? :)

Jan 7, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #280 of 9,131
If I had a few hundred pounds laying around and could sell my AK120 I'd probably think about giving it a go.... just for the sake of it, see what it can do. Like others though I'm not left convinced that it can top a RW-B mod with a 71B amp other than the fact that it might keep its portability a bit better. If the measurements people had for it are correct then it is only about the size of a smart phone if not slightly thicker, is odd that a design team would look to make something seem larger than it actually is... in this day and age of utility leaving such spaces on a device seems like a waste and I'm not sure what the screen does if it can't do video... it does do video, right?

Jan 7, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #284 of 9,131
**Checks AK240 web page**

No video .lol. Wow. Not sure it can be made to do video as a software after thought.

Its a playboy toy, an artsy concept design that's there to make iRiver look good just like the A&K brand was intended for. Only rich people have real estate they have no real use for, golf, horses, empty fields of grass... translates the same in products made for rich people at times. Could have done more with the space taken up by that anglar design and put the large screen to real use as people are only going to use 50% of it. Obviously has its WIFI antenna in there someplace, bet you're stuck downloading from iRiver/A&K.

Has no one seen where the USB port and SD card slots will go? Notice it sits upright so it would not be useful for them to be on the bottom and a USB port on the side would look ugly on such an arty looking device... rich people like to hide their workers in outhouses so it gives that this product would have to hide its working parts .lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back