Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Sep 15, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #18 of 3,594
Thank you Jude!

I think I'd still rather have the Amperior from an SQ perspective.  But damn these MOMENTUMs do look boss don't they?

Quote:
when is this headphone coming out?

Pretty sure it's out.  RazorDogDeals has them in stock I think.

Sep 15, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #22 of 3,594
I think he's talking about the way the headphone is tuned itself (no amp) vs something neutral like a DT1350.

Excellent review and comparisons Jude! Definitely gives me a handle on how they sound. Can't wait to try them. Nice photos too btw.

Sep 15, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #23 of 3,594
Fantastic write up Jude! As a DT1350 owner I totally get what you're trying to say. My Momentum is on the way (should have it next week sometime). I think there might be a place in my rotation for them. I'm honestly sold on the looks alone.
biggrin.gif

Btw. You mention fuller mids, but how full are they compared to the DT1350s? Specifically vocals. Also, did you also get a chance to evaluate the timbre and overall coherency?

Thanks

Sep 16, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #26 of 3,594
Seems like they have the sound I'm looking for and I don't listen on-the-go but at home only  but I have a preference in such kind of sound, especially the thicker and bassier sound but more detailed and fullier mids and clearer than L1 and B&W P5 (which is even too warm for me), very nice start with one of the contender of the  "mid-fi portable wars" :D

I still need a FR graph confirming it has such a balance that I like though, optimally aprox 8~9dB boosted bass and neutral (or very slightly more forward in comparision to highs) mids & neutral non-emphasized highs :)

I have a feeling M100 will have a very similar frequency response balance like Momentum, will be very interesting comparision.

Sep 16, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #27 of 3,594
Sep 16, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #28 of 3,594
At least there's a big difference in bass, the Z1000 by FR graphs doesn't have any bass emphasis to speak of, well it actually rolls-off quite a lot in the deep bass so it's quite basshy in comparision to Momentum by Jude's description. Then mids & highs I can't answer but at least you can question yourself, do I like more basshy or bass emphasized headphone which should rule out one or the other.

Sep 16, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #29 of 3,594
At least there's a big difference in bass, the Z1000 by FR graphs doesn't have any bass emphasis to speak of, well it actually rolls-off quite a lot in the deep bass so it's quite basshy in comparision to Momentum by Jude's description. Then mids & highs I can't answer but at least you can question yourself, do I like more basshy or bass emphasized headphone which should rule out one or the other.
Honestly I don't know. I had AT M-50 and they had too much bass on the other hand I don't have a bassy headphone. I also need a very good isolating headphone so I'll probably get the one that does it better.

Sep 16, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #30 of 3,594
Quote:
Honestly I don't know. I had AT M-50 and they had too much bass on the other hand I don't have a bassy headphone. I also need a very good isolating headphone so I'll probably get the one that does it better.

By the description by Jude it looks like Momentum is bassier than M50 as it's bassier than V-Moda M80 (which he referred to as more neutral) which has about similar bass quantity as the ATH-M50 about 5dB or so boost which I concider "entry-lvl" basshead. I'm guessing Momentum might be more in the 7~9dB bass boosted or so range. It sounded like Jude tried to "mask" the Momentum's relatively huge bass boost with as polite way of wording as possible around that (especially due his reference to this isn't reference material and it's good with bass boost for a portable headphone in a noisier environment), at least that's the impressions I got. I'm personally a basshead and probably searching for this kind of quantity as Momentum has though so I only read it as positive personally as M50 for example has slightly too little bass for my taste. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back