Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 21, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #10,351 of 46,535
Originally Posted by jtaylor991 

Also, anyone know a good mod to make the 650s into a closed can? 

I would also suggest looking into a decent pair of iem's. I looked long and far for my pair and thought that because of my ear canal shape that I'd never get a pair to fit. Well, I finally did...the vsonic gr07. The sound signature is a little closer to the hd600 than to the hd650 but I'd still say that it's in the Senn ballpark. 

I use a Sansa clip zip with mine and feel like I have some seriously audio quality when I listen away from home. They cost just under $150 with free shipping.

gL!!

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #10,352 of 46,535
Based on my experience, closing the HD-600 or HD-650 is a bad idea and sounds awful. The mids will be much too forward. It's basically unlistenable to me. You can easily try by covering the grills up completely.

I haven't come across a closed headphone that sounds like the HD-650. Some say the PX100-II sounds similar, but I don't really agree.

The HD-650 I have is my favorite headphone (ok 2nd favorite) and my DJ100 sounds similar. The DJ100 has a tad more bass, but pretty much similar bass quantities. The biggest difference is the DJ100 isn't quite as forgiving. It's smooth and non-fatiguing, but bad music sounds considerably worse on the DJ100.

The DJ100 is also nice and full sounding. It's mids are a bit more forward, but not by much. I actually have the Tony Bennett version and it's pretty much the same.

I should note that the HD-650 i have is the most balanced version i've heard. It's bass is actually more controlled than that of the HD-600.I actually find the HD-600 more sleepy/boring. Weird right? This HD-650 is not dark at all.

BTW without a lot of power the DJ100 is a bit thinner sounding and not as smooth. It would probably love the Lyr!

Both are great for vocals (male and female).

i should point out the DJ100 is not quite as good without a nice dac/amp. Some will say they don't need an external amp, but I don't agree.

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #10,353 of 46,535
Quote:
wje, is headphile the only place to get these woodies, or are there other possibly cheaper places?

Oh I should ask: would i wear out the cans switching between the woodies and regular grilles by taking them on and off? Hmm..maybe I should just go with those JVC portables...

I am not sure.  If you check our forum here, some people have made the woodies for their Sennheiser HD-555 headphones.  They used a cheaper pine, though, and don't look quite as good.  However, like anything in life, if you apply enough passes over something, it will eventually be perfect.

As to modding the HD-650 with such wood to close it off, I'd be awfully hesitant to do so.  I just provided the link to share that the idea has been explored and options do exist.  Instead, I'd sell of the HD-650, and invest sufficient funds into a closed can.  Once you mod something, the value is essentially crap, if you can't reverse the mod back to stock without tearing things up too much.

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #10,354 of 46,535
OK I'll just stick with a separate set of cans for portable. Yes like I've said I have my Klipsch S4's but I'd like to try something else, see if I like full cans better. Or heck someday see if I like better IEMs, I mean these are only around $80. Right now it's a bit of a nuisance to store them because the tips like to come off, so I have to put them in the tin, where they get just as tangled up without. With cans I could just leave them around my neck. I could these too, but they hang and swing around everywhere. Not so with cans and a headband.

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #10,355 of 46,535
Just got a pair of hd650s that I am really happy with. Currently using a NAD c316bee integrated amp to drive them.
http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-amplifiers/C-316BEE-Stereo-Integrated-Amplifier

Will a Schiit lyr be a wortwhile upgrade? Been reading a lot of good things about it in this thread.

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #10,356 of 46,535
Hey guys,

I'm just thinking about getting a HD650, but one thing concerns me: HOW MUCH sound leaks in/out of them? I ask this because I've never listened to open cans before and I'm not aware of any near stores that carry one (Brazil), so can't test myself. I'll only listen them at night, when the house is pretty quiet, and usually on an average level, nothing extremely loud (about 70% volume on iPhone 4S at really quiet songs).

1 - Is it loud enough to disturbe people on another room (even with door closed)? Would be possible to someone post maybe a video wearing them turned on?

2 - How about isolation from outside? Things like ceiling fan or air conditioner?

3 - Is it the same with HD600? And other open cans?

Thanks!

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #10,357 of 46,535
Quote:
OK I'll just stick with a separate set of cans for portable. Yes like I've said I have my Klipsch S4's but I'd like to try something else, see if I like full cans better. Or heck someday see if I like better IEMs, I mean these are only around $80. Right now it's a bit of a nuisance to store them because the tips like to come off, so I have to put them in the tin, where they get just as tangled up without. With cans I could just leave them around my neck. I could these too, but they hang and swing around everywhere. Not so with cans and a headband.

For closed cans, a pair that I've heard great things about are the AKG 550.  They're definitely ones I'd like to try out.

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #10,358 of 46,535
Quote:
Hey guys,

I'm just thinking about getting a HD650, but one thing concerns me: HOW MUCH sound leaks in/out of them? I ask this because I've never listened to open cans before and I'm not aware of any near stores that carry one (Brazil), so can't test myself. I'll only listen them at night, when the house is pretty quiet, and usually on an average level, nothing extremely loud (about 70% volume on iPhone 4S at really quiet songs).

1 - Is it loud enough to disturbe people on another room (even with door closed)? Would be possible to someone post maybe a video wearing them turned on?

2 - How about isolation from outside? Things like ceiling fan or air conditioner?

3 - Is it the same with HD600? And other open cans?

Thanks!

1 - No they shouldn't disturb others in another room... if they are, then chances are you're listening too loud and you're damaging your hearing

2 - Depends on how loud the fan is and slightly depends on how loud you listen... if you like listening at very low volumes and you have a loud fan/air con, then yes there will be some noise.

3 - Yes, should be same with HD 600, their design is essentially the same for the most part, hence even their sound signature is only slightly different.  Other open cans I would think are similar, but would likely vary from model to model

Ultimately, if you want good isolation, go for closed cans, or better yet... IEMs. =)

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #10,359 of 46,535
Quote:
For closed cans, a pair that I've heard great things about are the AKG 550.  They're definitely ones I'd like to try out.

Apparently, AKG also has the 551 model out now.  Some people have indicated that it sounds better.  However, from reading the specs, the only difference I can see is that it now has a built-in line microphone.  They may have revised the drivers, but I can't confirm that.

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #10,360 of 46,535
Quote:

1 - No they shouldn't disturb others in another room... if they are, then chances are you're listening too loud and you're damaging your hearing

2 - Depends on how loud the fan is and slightly depends on how loud you listen... if you like listening at very low volumes and you have a loud fan/air con, then yes there will be some noise.

3 - Yes, should be same with HD 600, their design is essentially the same for the most part, hence even their sound signature is only slightly different.  Other open cans I would think are similar, but would likely vary from model to model

Ultimately, if you want good isolation, go for closed cans, or better yet... IEMs. =)

Thanks, I already have good IEMs (love my SHE9850) which I use outside. Now I'm thinking about getting some "real" cans for my room ;D

Well, guess they're not that loud, which is good! My only concern now is about the fan noise, since I can't imagine turning it off to listen to music (temps easily over 30ºC most of the summer). I can't hear them at all with my IEM, hope it doesn't botter me that much :wink:

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #10,361 of 46,535
Quote:

Quote:

Apparently, AKG also has the 551 model out now.  Some people have indicated that it sounds better.  However, from reading the specs, the only difference I can see is that it now has a built-in line microphone.  They may have revised the drivers, but I can't confirm that.

I'd like cans that I can have around my neck all day, portables. Foldable would be very nice too. Just looking at the pic on Amazon of the K550s made me say no, it looks like they'd be all up in my cheeks. Maybe they could be used as portables, I could be wrong. Thoughts? I'd also want a max 6ft (the same as 2yd) long cable, even that's pushing it.

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks, I already have good IEMs (love my SHE9850) which I use outside. Now I'm thinking about getting some "real" cans for my room ;D

Well, guess they're not that loud, which is good! My only concern now is about the fan noise, since I can't imagine turning it off to listen to music (temps easily over 30ºC most of the summer). I can't hear them at all with my IEM, hope it doesn't botter me that much :wink:

I have no idea if you'd hear the fan or not, only you can judge how loud it is. It doesn't seem like just a ceiling fan would be loud enough to hear through closed cans, so I don't think you need IEM-level isolation (IEMs isolate better than closed over ear cans), so closed oughta be fine. If it's not that loud even 650s could work. I'd suggest either try the 650s and if it doesn't work out return them (if they have a return policy, make sure of this) or sell them with minimal loss. Or if you're really that worried, you could try to find a comparable set of closed cans. If you read the recent posts by me and a few others in this thread (looks like even on the same page here), you can convert the 650s to closed, but it wouldn't be cheap, and it could compromise their renowned sound signature a fair bit it seems, so I'm not gonna do it but I just want to let you know it's an option.

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #10,362 of 46,535
Well if you like Senns sound sig, then another option could be the HD 25?  I've been told those are very nice.  Or the Momentum???  Those are apparently very smooth sounding, and they look very classy IMHO.  Sadly neither of these are foldable.  PX-200 are apparently very nice if you like foldables??  but you said full cans... I rarely see many full cans being foldable. 

If you like the Shure's mid-centric signature (I really do enjoy my SE 425s) then perhaps the SRH440?  These are foldable and closed, and a top pick @ Headroom:

http://www.headphone.com/selection-guide/top-picks/shure-srh440.php

Jan 21, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #10,363 of 46,535
Quote:
Well if you like Senns sound sig, then another option could be the HD 25?  I've been told those are very nice.  Or the Momentum???  Those are apparently very smooth sounding, and they look very classy IMHO.  Sadly neither of these are foldable.  PX-200 are apparently very nice if you like foldables??  but you said full cans... I rarely see many full cans being foldable. 

If you like the Shure's mid-centric signature (I really do enjoy my SE 425s) then perhaps the SRH440?  These are foldable and closed, and a top pick @ Headroom:

I meant "full cans" in the context of over ear, not IEMs. In this context, I consider HD25s to be "full cans". Sorry for the confusion.

I'd like them to be inexpensive. Senn HD25-1 IIs look to be $200 on Amazon (just plain HD25s were like $6-700 :S), too much for right now, maybe in the future.
I need to be focused on saving for an iPod Classic anyway, all I have now is my full HTC One X with Google Music streaming eating up my data plan. I have my S4s, so next is the ipod, then I'll worry about cans. Thanks for the help!

P.S. I had Shure SE215s and I really liked them for the price (I think they were like $75-100), but the suddenly without notice one side just stopped working. Swapping the cables between L and R did nothing.  I had a 10 hour car trip the next morning, so I just went down to best Buy and got my S4s and am happy now (except those tips keep popping off and getting lost). Maybe I sweat into them (the 215s) while I was mowing or something, but I didn't want to go with Shure for a while. But I'll look into them.

What do people think about Koss PortaPros for $35-40? I listen to heavy metal (Disturbed, maybe a little Black Sabbath, etc), folk/acoustic stuff but my most popular is hip hop. I don't need monster bass or anything, but I guess lenient/lacking bass wouldn't be desirable. 
Edit 2: Maybe just slightly more bass than my Klipsch Image S4's would be called for, but beyond that isn't necessary. Not that I wouldn't want it, it'd be all good if it were there, just don't fret about beyond that point.

Jan 21, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #10,364 of 46,535
Quote:

Love the HD25-1 ii's as my portable HP's! Great compliment to the HD650....

Jan 21, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #10,365 of 46,535

I meant "full cans" in the context of over ear, not IEMs. In this context, I consider HD25s to be "full cans". Sorry for the confusion.

I'd like them to be inexpensive. Senn HD25-1 IIs look to be $200 on Amazon (just plain HD25s were like $6-700 :S), too much for right now, maybe in the future.
I need to be focused on saving for an iPod Classic anyway, all I have now is my full HTC One X with Google Music streaming eating up my data plan. I have my S4s, so next is the ipod, then I'll worry about cans. Thanks for the help!

P.S. I had Shure SE215s and I really liked them for the price (I think they were like $75-100), but the suddenly without notice one side just stopped working. Swapping the cables between L and R did nothing.  I had a 10 hour car trip the next morning, so I just went down to best Buy and got my S4s and am happy now (except those tips keep popping off and getting lost). Maybe I sweat into them (the 215s) while I was mowing or something, but I didn't want to go with Shure for a while. But I'll look into them.

What do people think about Koss PortaPros for $35-40? I listen to heavy metal (Disturbed, maybe a little Black Sabbath, etc), folk/acoustic stuff but my most popular is hip hop. I don't need monster bass or anything, but I guess lenient/lacking bass wouldn't be desirable. 
Edit 2: Maybe just slightly more bass than my Klipsch Image S4's would be called for, but beyond that isn't necessary. Not that I wouldn't want it, it'd be all good if it were there, just don't fret about beyond that point.
These. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back