Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 22, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #10,381 of 46,499
Quote:
Hey guys, I am new to the HD650s, but I am loving them so far.  I bought a used pair, but it was in perfect condition (no paint chipping on headband or anything) and I would like to keep them like that.  Reading around these forums it seems like the paint chipping is common to these headphones?  I was just wondering if there was anything extra I could do (other than being very careful and babying them) to keep the paint from chipping off?  Thanks for any info. :)

The best method is mentioned in the video provided above, which is to use a headphone stand. The one that is made by Sennheiser is actually pretty good and I use one and one that I made as well. I think that the reason for the chipping paint is that many people don't use stands but just lay them down on their desk. It's a tempting proposition when you're in a hurry or just need to sit them down for a moment to just use an empty space on the desk. Which is why I put an extra mouse pad on my desk for times when I need to put them down quickly or temporarily. 

You can also use a thin strip of packing tape across the top edge of the headband where the chipping tends to happen. 

gL!!

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #10,382 of 46,499
Quote:
Hey Rosmadi, since you seem to be someone who works for Sennheiser, could you answer the age old question, on whether there is an actual difference between the "black" screened and "silver" screened drivers on the HD-650 model?

just wrote Sennheiser Germany and they said there was no difference to the driver made just the black mesh has turned to a different material due to production alterations.the mesh is for klirr(distortion) faktor they wrote.
another thing i asked if the HP was made of carbon fiber and they denied that.

btw. i can upload a screenshot of the german mail :wink:

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #10,383 of 46,499
^^ For some reason I find this hilarious. 
size]

Jan 22, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #10,385 of 46,499
Quote:
The mods are EASILY reversable, it's as easy as putting you finger in the pad and working your way around it to get it off. Mids are the vocals and acoustic guitars, like the middle of the spectrum, between the bass and the trebel. keep in mind that it only reduces the bass if you try the ATH pads. The HM5 pads give you more soundstage, and lose or gain nothing else. Too bad no U.S. seller is selling them.
frown.gif
The bass won't ruin them, if anything, it way improve them due to burn in, remember, these are 10x stronger than regular headphones. There is a really cheap DAC that's supposed to go great with these shipping from China for $20 on Ebay. I do the same thing with my parents, buy something and then pay them back..... the life of an 8th grader! LOL
tongue.gif
Some of the mods for the JVCs include: stuffing the pad under the HM5 pad full of cotton balls and brown paper towels (the stiff ones in public bathrooms) (Forgot what this mod does... I think more bass and slightly better soundstage), putting tape over some ports right under the pad (To increase the bass greatly), and putting cotton (Or any insulative material) behind the drivers in the cups (Remove 3 screws on each cup, still very easy and reversible) (This one makes everything a tiny bit more realistic).

Hmm OK cool. Maybe I'll try to get my hands on some HM5 pads then :)
What's this cheap DAC all about?

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #10,386 of 46,499
The mods are EASILY reversable, it's as easy as putting you finger in the pad and working your way around it to get it off. Mids are the vocals and acoustic guitars, like the middle of the spectrum, between the bass and the trebel. keep in mind that it only reduces the bass if you try the ATH pads. The HM5 pads give you more soundstage, and lose or gain nothing else. Too bad no U.S. seller is selling them. :frowning2: The bass won't ruin them, if anything, it way improve them due to burn in, remember, these are 10x stronger than regular headphones. There is a really cheap DAC that's supposed to go great with these shipping from China for $20 on Ebay. I do the same thing with my parents, buy something and then pay them back..... the life of an 8th grader! LOL :p Some of the mods for the JVCs include: stuffing the pad under the HM5 pad full of cotton balls and brown paper towels (the stiff ones in public bathrooms) (Forgot what this mod does... I think more bass and slightly better soundstage), putting tape over some ports right under the pad (To increase the bass greatly), and putting cotton (Or any insulative material) behind the drivers in the cups (Remove 3 screws on each cup, still very easy and reversible) (This one makes everything a tiny bit more realistic).

Hmm OK cool. Maybe I'll try to get my hands on some HM5 pads then :)
What's this cheap DAC all about?
It's supposed to be a great DAC (for the price) that can power the S500s without an amp, but can also plug into an amp. It's supposed to have a nice soundstage, and be much clearer than a PCs audio out. The only complaint with it is that the highs are too much for some people, but should get better after burn-in (I don't know anything about burn-in from Solid state DACs and amps, as I've bought all mine used...). I haven't tried this DAC yet, and probably won't, as I already have a soundcard with line out (Titanium HD). There is also a DAC/amp combo that is supposed to be a little better, with more tamed highs for $30 you can get from Amazon. It has a line out (To plug into the ZO2.3, and a headphone amp (For until you get the ZO2.3. Also, to use it with the ZO2.3, you'll need to provide a male RCA to male 3.5mm aux jack. You'll also need a cable like this (a standard printer cable) to plug into your PC/Laptop. Please note that you cannot use a DAC with your phone, as it is not supported in both the hardware and software unless you have the Universal S3, or any Note 2.

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #10,387 of 46,499
Double

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #10,388 of 46,499
Quote:
It's supposed to be a great DAC (for the price) that can power the S500s without an amp, but can also plug into an amp. It's supposed to have a nice soundstage, and be much clearer than a PCs audio out. The only complaint with it is that the highs are too much for some people, but should get better after burn-in (I don't know anything about burn-in from Solid state DACs and amps, as I've bought all mine used...). I haven't tried this DAC yet, and probably won't, as I already have a soundcard with line out (Titanium HD). There is also a DAC/amp combo that is supposed to be a little better, with more tamed highs for $30 you can get from Amazon. It has a line out (To plug into the ZO2.3, and a headphone amp (For until you get the ZO2.3. Also, to use it with the ZO2.3, you'll need to provide a male RCA to male 3.5mm aux jack. You'll also need a cable like this (a standard printer cable) to plug into your PC/Laptop. Please note that you cannot use a DAC with your phone, as it is not supported in both the hardware and software unless you have the Universal S3, or any Note 2.

Double post FYI

That one you linked..yeah wouldn't work for my iPod. Maybe I'll be interested someday but I'll mainly be using an iPod Classic. Maybe I'll use a laptop for those few long car rides per year. Thanks for the tip! I'll keep it in mind if I can remember it.
Edit: And that one linked on Amazon *does* have a built in amp? Sweet! For $30 that's quite the deal (as long as it's any better than the iPod or laptop DAC and amp)

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #10,389 of 46,499
It's supposed to be a great DAC (for the price) that can power the S500s without an amp, but can also plug into an amp. It's supposed to have a nice soundstage, and be much clearer than a PCs audio out. The only complaint with it is that the highs are too much for some people, but should get better after burn-in (I don't know anything about burn-in from Solid state DACs and amps, as I've bought all mine used...). I haven't tried this DAC yet, and probably won't, as I already have a soundcard with line out (Titanium HD). There is also a DAC/amp combo that is supposed to be a little better, with more tamed highs for $30 you can get from

Double post FYI

That one you linked..yeah wouldn't work for my iPod. Maybe I'll be interested someday but I'll mainly be using an iPod Classic. Maybe I'll use a laptop for those few long car rides per year. Thanks for the tip! I'll keep it in mind if I can remember it.
Edit: And that one linked on Amazon *does* have a built in amp? Sweet! For $30 that's quite the deal (as long as it's any better than the iPod or laptop DAC and amp)

Fixed.

Yeah, it should be much better than the built in card on your iPod and Lappy. :)

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #10,390 of 46,499
Jan 23, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #10,391 of 46,499
I believe that alcohol is considered a solvent and would generally be a substance you wanna avoid.  I'd stick with water.

Jan 24, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #10,392 of 46,499
Off Topic (but I just gotta say it)

I'm really new to the HD650 and they are my first pair of high end cans, but I just gotta say these are blowing my mind.  I am just using stock cable and Fiio e7/e09k and just knowing that upgrading my chain these can get even better blows my mind even more.

I guess I'm saying I appreciate these. 

edit: words

Jan 24, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #10,393 of 46,499
Quote:
Off Topic (but I just gotta say it)

I'm really new to the HD650 and they are my first pair of high end cans, but I just gotta say these are blowing my mind.  I am just using stock cable and Fiio e7/e09k and just knowing that upgrading my chain these can get even better blows my mind even more.

I guess I'm saying I appreciate these. 

edit: words

You'll be surprised at how good the scalability on HD650
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back