PS Audio Noise Harvester
Jan 17, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #31 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems like all four Feet need to be suspended the same depth. Or maybe the ambient temperature makes a bigger difference after I added the Harvester. Either way, it sounds better now.

The room got little warmer and the bass signature got more apparent now, I can clearly hear it comes from the extra rubber bands for Feet of Silence. Bass sounds very strong unlike anything I have heard before. I'm hearing more bass transients in the background and they are heavier too, multiple sharp and heavy bass transients makes it sound strong. It reminds me of when I wrapped Valhalla power cords in ERS Paper, it changed the signature of the deep bass. But with the extra rubber bands it changed the mid-bass too.

Yesterday I didn't want to keep listening to my favorite albums because something felt wrong. After today's tweaks I want to keep listening, even to the tracks I normally never listen to! The improvement was that big.

The headache is finally gone! I believe it didn't come from the heavy bass, it just came from the muddiness, Harvester increased the size of everything which made the muddiness apparent. The bass needs to have proper resolution, otherwise it is fatiguing. I like strong bass as long as it doesn't interfere with the rest of the music, but if it does interfere, then I want to remove all of the bass.

After doing these 3 tweaks* to compensate for the heavy bass from Harvester, I'm hearing an improvement unlike anything I have heard before. Amps and sources are nothing compared to this, in my 1-10 scale they would receive 1 score because they don't improve anything, they just change the flavor. But when plugging the Harvester to the wall the improvements are real. Harvester doesn't add any weaknesses, it just shows problems in your system which forces you to find and fix them.

*(Thinner Valhalla for computer, Optrix for headphone cable, extra rubber bands for Feet of Silence under amp)

Harvester improvement score: [size=x-large]10 000 000[/size]

Jan 17, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #32 of 104
My upgrades

1 = Noticeable improvement
10 = Night and day

July 2005

Valhalla power cord for Krell KAV-500i = 15
High Current Ultimate Outlet between wall and Power Plants = 5
QuickSilver on everything = 15?
QuickSilver on fuses = 2
MultiWave II+ for source = 5
xStream Statement between wall and Power Plants = 60
44.1 kHz to 768 kHz = 5
MultiWave II and II+ for amp = 20
Solid-Tech isolation = 100
QuickSilver GOLD upgrade = 5
Valhalla between wall and Power Plants + hardwired = 60
Hifi-Tuning Gold fuse = 1
Nordost Solar Wind 1 conductor + remove PCB = 220
Nordost Valkyrja 1 conductor = 140 (360 compared to Stefan AudioArt)
PS Audio GCC-100 = 200?
Cary 303/300 as transport for DAC-1 = 500
Modded Valhalla power cord (2+2+1) for DAC1, and computer as transport (Valhalla and Power Plant) = [size=large]5000[/size]
Computer to Cary transport. From 2 to 1 Power Plant. 2 conductor Valhalla power cord for amp. Extra isolation step. Cary from 3 to 0 isolation = -200 (less detail but more neutral?)
Valhalla digital XLR = 5?
Valhalla power cord 2 to 1 conductor for DAC1 = 100
Valhalla power cord 3 to 2 conductors for Cary = 5
Valkyrja internal wiring for CD player = 5
Valkyrja speaker cable hardwire into PCB = 380
Valkyrja input signal wire for amp, from 24 AWG to 22 AWG = -3
Modded Valhalla interconnect 1 conductor = [size=x-large]1 000 000[/size]
Brilliant Pebbles Mini = 0.05
Bypass fuses amp = 80
Bypass fuses Cary transport = 2?
Shortening Valhalla power cords = 1
Disconnecting ground of DAC1 = 0.5?
Valhalla power cord 2 to 1 conductors for Cary = 5
Valhalla power cord 3 to 2 conductors for wall = 1
4step to 5step isolation for DAC1 = [size=medium]1200[/size]
Hardwired into Power Plant = 5?
ERS Paper full coverage = [size=x-large]2 000 000+[/size]
Valhalla interconnect XLR + hardwire = [size=x-large]1 300 000[/size]
Valhalla interconnect dedicated shield ground = [size=x-large]3 000 000[/size]
Noise Harvester + tweaks to compensate = [size=xx-large]10 000 000[/size]

January 2007

Numbers are only accurate when based on the order the upgrades were made.

Jan 17, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #34 of 104
Quote:

Oh, that's when they are accurate. I am glad you cleared that up.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 17, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #35 of 104
Quote:

My upgrades

1 = Noticeable improvement
10 = Night and day

July 2005

Valhalla power cord for Krell KAV-500i = 15
High Current Ultimate Outlet between wall and Power Plants = 5
QuickSilver on everything = 15?
QuickSilver on fuses = 2
MultiWave II+ for source = 5
xStream Statement between wall and Power Plants = 60
44.1 kHz to 768 kHz = 5
MultiWave II and II+ for amp = 20
Solid-Tech isolation = 100
QuickSilver GOLD upgrade = 5
Valhalla between wall and Power Plants + hardwired = 60
Hifi-Tuning Gold fuse = 1
Nordost Solar Wind 1 conductor + remove PCB = 220
Nordost Valkyrja 1 conductor = 140 (360 compared to Stefan AudioArt)
PS Audio GCC-100 = 200?
Cary 303/300 as transport for DAC-1 = 500
Modded Valhalla power cord (2+2+1) for DAC1, and computer as transport (Valhalla and Power Plant) = [size=large]5000[/size]
Computer to Cary transport. From 2 to 1 Power Plant. 2 conductor Valhalla power cord for amp. Extra isolation step. Cary from 3 to 0 isolation = -200 (less detail but more neutral?)
Valhalla digital XLR = 5?
Valhalla power cord 2 to 1 conductor for DAC1 = 100
Valhalla power cord 3 to 2 conductors for Cary = 5
Valkyrja internal wiring for CD player = 5
Valkyrja speaker cable hardwire into PCB = 380
Valkyrja input signal wire for amp, from 24 AWG to 22 AWG = -3
Modded Valhalla interconnect 1 conductor = [size=x-large]1 000 000[/size]
Brilliant Pebbles Mini = 0.05
Bypass fuses amp = 80
Bypass fuses Cary transport = 2?
Shortening Valhalla power cords = 1
Disconnecting ground of DAC1 = 0.5?
Valhalla power cord 2 to 1 conductors for Cary = 5
Valhalla power cord 3 to 2 conductors for wall = 1
4step to 5step isolation for DAC1 = [size=medium]1200[/size]
Hardwired into Power Plant = 5?
ERS Paper full coverage = [size=x-large]2 000 000+[/size]
Valhalla interconnect XLR + hardwire = [size=x-large]1 300 000[/size]
Valhalla interconnect dedicated shield ground = [size=x-large]3 000 000[/size]
Noise Harvester + tweaks to compensate = [size=xx-large]10 000 000[/size]

January 2007

You spend alot of money taking care of the symptems, not curing the problem...

Jan 17, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #36 of 104
From what i can see in the pic it seems like a LCR filter with buttload of Snubber caps and that's all it seems to be.

Maybe Patrick82 should try real men mods, like from Corcom, Schaffner and Tyco. Try fitting an FN3258 from Schaffner into your mains, but if you get killed, don't blame me. (yes yes, i do see the irony and contradiction) They're far cheaper and they work at the source killing noise from the mains, plus if anyone has the balls to disconnect a live 3 phase system that supplies 220v 63 amps of juice, it would be Patrick82! Anyways the amount of filtering those babies give isn't bad. Worth a shot.

There are easier and more expensive ways of course which involve lab equipment and unstable resonance cascade producing lamda cores :p

Anyways i'll take this chance to speak about a gripe a have with audiophiles. Firstly is why the fook do you guys pay 200 USD for LCR filters when you can get a PEM with the same specs for 30 USD, of course they don't come with LEDs and all but........

Secondly, i went to an AV fair once in my place and the bestest power filter simply comprised of the gigantic toroid and loads of caps. Understandable, yes, Transformers isolate one side from the other, and caps filter out the transients. But for half the price, you can get those overcharging arses at HP Agilent to send you a dedicated AC power supply that totally rebuilds the sine wave.

And instead of ERS paper, wouldn't 3M duct tape work just as well without the hefty price tag, they even have ones with copper lol. 72 yards of Anti static tape for 8 bucks is a steal i guess.

Maybe i just don't know any better because i'm a n00b here, i believe in some tweaks, but my main point here is, why get overcharged for it when you can get something better for half the price?

Jan 18, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #37 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by empire23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Secondly, i went to an AV fair once in my place and the bestest power filter simply comprised of the gigantic toroid and loads of caps. Understandable, yes, Transformers isolate one side from the other, and caps filter out the transients. But for half the price, you can get those overcharging arses at HP Agilent to send you a dedicated AC power supply that totally rebuilds the sine wave.

Big capacitors give muddy sound? My Cary 303/300 has loads of huge capacitors in it, that's probably why it doesn't have any transient speed, I thought it was from the blurry brown DACs. My Benchmark DAC1 has small capacitors, and so does my computer, I'm getting crazy speed from that combo. With big capacitors it sounds too slow. I always liked the sound of small capacitors + Valhalla power cord, it colors the sound in the way I like it.

It seems like capacitors make it worse. Especially when the component is turned on for a while, when I unplugged my system for an hour and discharged the capacitors I was hearing crazy clarity. Everything sounded very clean and open. The smaller the capacitor is the cleaner it sounds like if it's turned on for a few days. It seems like some "dirt" gets stuck inside the capacitor and it needs to be unplugged to drain it out. That is what I heard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You spend alot of money taking care of the symptems, not curing the problem...

If I would take care of the problems I would be in prison for blowing up radio broadcast towers and modding nuclear power plant with Valhalla cables.

Jan 18, 2007 at 9:35 AM Post #38 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by empire23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyways i'll take this chance to speak about a gripe a have with audiophiles. Firstly is why the fook do you guys pay 200 USD for LCR filters when you can get a PEM with the same specs for 30 USD, of course they don't come with LEDs and all but........

And instead of ERS paper, wouldn't 3M duct tape work just as well without the hefty price tag, they even have ones with copper lol. 72 yards of Anti static tape for 8 bucks is a steal i guess.

Maybe i just don't know any better because i'm a n00b here, i believe in some tweaks, but my main point here is, why get overcharged for it when you can get something better for half the price?

Oh please dont judge the rest of us from patrick. he's a joke around here, and everywhere else.

Some people use the term "audiofool" to describe the people who go for the kind of tweaks which you have described as being entirely price inefficient (or just plain inefficient).

Fortunately, audiofools are a minority amongst the audiophile community.

An audio store will always be happy to charge heaps for something that could be had cheaper from a non audio store

Jan 18, 2007 at 9:39 AM Post #39 of 104
Quote:

If I would take care of the problems I would be in prison for blowing up radio broadcast towers and modding nuclear power plant with Valhalla cables.

Why dont you buy some gear that you like the sound of without needing to be tweaked?

Jan 18, 2007 at 10:10 AM Post #40 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why dont you buy some gear that you like the sound of without needing to be tweaked?

Because I don't want to pay more for worse sound. Audiophiles pay $$$$$ to get the magic inside the chassis which is nothing but cheap components jammed together by a greasy manufacturer. They like to take advantage of ignorant customers and they boost up the price just because they can.
They spend time designing the chassis so the resonance messes up the music as little as possible, then they charge 10x the price for it. I rather use vibration isolation to remove the vibrations from entering the chassis in the first place.

Sources and amps don't magically make an improvement, they just change the flavor. What the flavor is depends on a combination of resonance, power, RFI/EMI, cables etc. You can take any gear and change the variables with tweaks. I rather take the cheapest gear to do that. I have tried high-end gear and they just make the music sound worse. After I downgraded to smaller and cheaper gear I heard bigger differences from my tweaks. With the same tweaks the smallest component with the shortest signal path sounds the best.

Jan 18, 2007 at 10:14 AM Post #41 of 104
Quote:

Audiophiles pay $$$$$ to get the magic inside the chassis which is nothing but cheap components jammed together by a greasy manufacturer. They like to take advantage of ignorant customers and they boost up the price just because they can.

What do you think the PS Harvester is? (And what does that make you?)
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2007 at 10:22 AM Post #42 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh please dont judge the rest of us from patrick. he's a joke around here, and everywhere else.

Some people use the term "audiofool" to describe the people who go for the kind of tweaks which you have described as being entirely price inefficient (or just plain inefficient).

An audio store will always be happy to charge heaps for something that could be had cheaper from a non audio store

Valhalla power cords gave the most for my money in my system. The component that gave me the least is a CD player which I paid $5000 for. It was better than Benchmark DAC1 at first but not after multiple tweaks. DAC1 is now far beyond the performance of the 5 times more expensive CD player. It's all about the tweaks to fix the problems...

Jan 18, 2007 at 10:40 AM Post #44 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you think the PS Harvester is? (And what does that make you?)
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, it feels bad to pay for that but I don't have a choice. When I look at computer hardware in stores it feels like being in a junk yard. They are already obsolete after buying them...

I don't know what to buy with the money anyway. If I spend my money on hookers it only lasts 5 seconds, but if I spend it on Valhalla cable it lasts my whole life.

Same with the Harvester, it looks like it's going to last many years until the LED burns out. A hundred bucks for this is a great value in the long-term. Only MultiWave II+ is a better value because of the CleanSweep function, I can't be without that one. But I can be without Harvester because it's possible to compensate for it in the system. Without the CleanSweep the transients are a big block of brightness instead of blackness in between each transient. Amazing tweak for $99. I paid $3700 for Premier Power Plant just to get it for my computer (I don't need the other functions), that's how much the CleanSweep is worth to me. I'm not going to use it for the rest of my components because Premier doesn't have MWave4. Just for my computer and maybe the Cary transport as well.

Edit: Half a year ago I was using another P300 Power Plant just for the computer with a huge table fan cooling it (video). But after it blew up I had only one P300 Power Plant left, it has saved me more electricity than the P300 costs, it blew up for this reason. Premier Power Plant is going to be great for the computer, when it arrives.

Jan 18, 2007 at 12:03 PM Post #45 of 104
Quote:

With the same tweaks the smallest component with the shortest signal path sounds the best.

Not exactly correct my friend, we still have reflections caused by impedence mismatch so mind you there's a sweet spot between attenuation and reflections and due to the mismatch between the connector and cable, shortest might not always be best.

Just my 2 cents.

Quote:

Glad to hear that we aren't all hopping mad with tweaks
tongue.gif

I know that there are people who don't believe in tweaks, and people who do, i think playing the middle is safer, but i still wont justify wasting my hard earned money on sanatarium hacks that won't do **** or are just priced 20 times more than what you can get from bulk retailers like Mouser, RS, Digikey and the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back