PS Audio Noise Harvester
Jan 9, 2007 at 12:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 104

Patrick82

Banned
Noise Harvester made bass so heavy I will puke soon. I don't like it. Synergy is all messed up, I worked so hard to get it good and now it's all gone.
frown.gif
It reminds me of an extra step of vibration isolation (link), which I eventually compensated for elsewhere in my system.

I didn't hear anything wrong with my system for a month, I searched very hard. But after I plugged in a couple Harvesters it sounded completely messed up. At least now I know they are working properly.

First impressions: More open and clean. More body. Everything sounds different. Detail is at least as good, but it's heavier. Vocals are more realistic, everything is smoother.

Everything is way too heavy, it makes me sick!! I just want to turn off music, horrible.

Jan 9, 2007 at 1:44 PM Post #2 of 104
You hooked a powered LED up to your wall and the bass is making you puke? Interesting...

Jan 9, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #4 of 104
Quote:

Dreamed up by Paul McGowan and designed and engineered by our resident Hungarian genius, Laszlo Juhasz after two years of hard work, the Noise Harvester is without question revolutionary.

It takes a genius and two years to calculate an RC filter and add a LED?

I'm sure there's more to the PS Audio Noise Harvester than that but I can't see how it'd take anyone (even someone with no electronics knowledge) that long to design a noise filter.

Jan 9, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #5 of 104
regardless if the harvester is placebo or not, i think Patrick's reaction to it is unique. who the heck ever has a negative placebo? usually it's either positive due to heightened expectations, or it just doesn't work. it's like saying the Clever Little Clock collapsed the soundstage and pushed the horn section too forward in the presentation
confused.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #6 of 104
I've used them, but, am reluctant to put them back in my system. Because I have a dedicated line and already employ a variety of power conditioning, my electrical line is very quiet (I could not get the Noise Harvesters to light in my main room.) I could get them to light up if I plugged them into a bathroom outlet that has a fan on the circuit, so, I know the units actually light up. The probably is, in my main system, using the Noise Harvesters would occasionally shut down my system! I suspect what was happening is that a charge kept getting stored up because my line is already quiet, and ended up spiking, triggering protection circuitry in my Power Director. I suspect if my power line was noisy and the Harvester was always active, the charge wouldn't build up, and would not be an issue. They might be good if you have dirty AC, but, I'm not so sure if you've got clean juice.

Jan 9, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #7 of 104
I went to bed hoping it was all a dream but NO! After 4 mins 50 seconds I got a headache from the bass. Bass is emphasized and everything else is in the background, I need to focus more to hear them. I want bass to go away!

At least now I know I don't need to buy more Harvesters, I had planned to cover all my walls with hundreds of them. I didn't expect one Harvester would do this much, it's like a power cord upgrade. I haven't plugged in the rest of my Harvesters yet, I have 4 of them (5th one I have dissected to death), I need to fix the heavy bass problem before trying them all. I will replace my P300 Power Plant with Premier after it arrives, that might work.

Jan 9, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #9 of 104
"I had planned to cover all my walls with hundreds of them."

Why does EVERY post have to be so scary?
redface.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #10 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went to bed hoping it was all a dream but NO! After 4 mins 50 seconds I got a headache from the bass. Bass is emphasized and everything else is in the background, I need to focus more to hear them. I want bass to go away!

At least now I know I don't need to buy more Harvesters, I had planned to cover all my walls with hundreds of them. I didn't expect one Harvester would do this much, it's like a power cord upgrade. I haven't plugged in the rest of my Harvesters yet, I have 4 of them (5th one I have dissected to death), I need to fix the heavy bass problem before trying them all. I will replace my P300 Power Plant with Premier after it arrives, that might work.

Since you have the 5th dead and open, would you mind taking pictures of what's in there? Curiosity is getting to me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #11 of 104
My 2nd Harvester was plugged into P300 Power Plant, I removed it and there was less bass.
Then I removed the last Harvester from the wall and found something.

I removed it from the wall, listened again after 30 seconds, it was still too heavy. Waited 26 seconds and tried again, it was less heavy. Waited 42 seconds, it sounded much thinner, it was close to "home". Waited 52 seconds, it was even thinner and there was sibilance too, bass was gone! Waited another 52 seconds and it didn't sound different.

It took 2 and half minutes for the noise to build up after removing the Harvester.

I'm able to listen to my system again without headache. I'm not planning to put the Harvester back. With 2 Harvesters I can only listen to my system 5 minutes at a time. But without the Harvesters I can listen all day without fatigue!

Jan 10, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #12 of 104
Finally the nightmare is over. It's like a breath of fresh air.

I didn't know my system was this colored. The slight edginess in my system gives the illusion of more transparency, I like it. With the Harvesters it didn't sound like real life, it was heavier than real life, it sounded kind of dull.

Jan 10, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #14 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since you have the 5th dead and open, would you mind taking pictures of what's in there? Curiosity is getting to me.
smily_headphones1.gif

There is black goo covering everything so it's hard to see. On the inside of the yellow boxes there is yellow goo.

Noise.Harvester-top.JPG

Noise.Harvester-bottom.JPG

I'm too poor to buy better camera, both my digital cameras are broken from taking pics of my tweaks, I guess my soldering job was so poor that the camera died from shock. Here's some videos:

ftp://poollogics.is-a-geek.net:22163...r_close-up.avi 1 MB

ftp://poollogics.is-a-geek.net:22163...lean.Sweep.avi 19 MB

In this video you see it blinking when doing 60 second Clean Sweep with P300 Power Plant.

Jan 10, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #15 of 104
Hey Patrick:

Send your noise harvesters to me... I'd like to experiment with them too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back