PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Aug 21, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #2,596 of 9,120
Quote:
Okay, so I plan on upgrading soon.

Do I get the 7950 now or wait for 9XXX?

I already purchased a Node 304 mITX + 8x2 GB RAM for $135.
The case will not fit a Crossfire/SLI configuration, aiming for single card performance.

I'm fps sensitive, and at the same time I like to dial the quality up.
My monitor will be a Xstar 2560x1440, I doubt the 7950 will handle 1440p with the latest/greatest.

But a IceQ for $200 is hard to pass up, solid and silent.

As for CPU, I don't need something groundbreaking.  Maybe an i5/fx will do for me.
I'm thinking of tearing down my current system, and borrowing the 6850 until a good card comes for cheap.  At the same time, I would really like to sell it.  I figure a whole system and monitor will sell for a better price than the raw parts.

I'd wait. AMD announced the 9000 series cards to mass ship to sellers in early October so we get them late October.

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #2,597 of 9,120
Quote:

I'm just left wondering why the heck PlanetSide 2, ArmA III, DCS World, etc. run so poorly with anything short of the latest Core i5/i7s overclocked quite a bit. Seriously, just fire up PS2 and go to some hotbed of activity like The Crown, or whip up a quick mission in DCS with a lot of AI units around, and your framerate is gonna tank below 20 FPS in all likeliness. (Of course, that's on an old Q6600 overclocked to 3 GHz...) Whatever the case, those games are bottlenecked so hard by the CPU that even SLI GTX Titans will leave you seeing slideshows at times.

Is the code just that hard to parallelize, to the point where single-threaded performance is still a priority for game engines?

And of course, they're planning on porting PlanetSide 2 to the PS4...I'd like to see how the hell they're going to pull that off without it going into slideshow mode.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/08/05/the-ps4s-big-challenge-is-its-amd-chip-that-heavily-relies-on-multi-threading-says-planetside-2-dev/

Quote from the above article:
Quote:
Our engine sucks at that right now. We are multi-threaded, but the primary gameplay thread is very expensive.

As it says, the primary gameplay process/thread usually is heftier to calculate than lesser processes involved. I'm not completely sure what parts can and can't be parallellized as I'm no programmer, but I would guess that sound effects, logistics and physics can be separated into their own processes to some degree, but because they all interact and require information from each other, you can't just split them into smaller processes. Programming in parallel is difficult to comprehend for anything other than "simple" embarrassingly parallel workloads, which sort of make sense even visualized in layman's terms (like multiple threads rendering equally big parts of an image..)

I don't think you're running into memory bandwidth issues though, I mean, look at Minecraft, it's relatively simple as a game but has to handle volumes of voxel data and freezes on the mightiest machine if you spawn too much TNT and make it explode.

But yeah, DDR2 and DDR3 didn't really make a big difference, neither will DDR4 as the other components (and programming, as noted here) lag way behind in an enormous majority of cases.

Aug 21, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #2,598 of 9,120
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/08/05/the-ps4s-big-challenge-is-its-amd-chip-that-heavily-relies-on-multi-threading-says-planetside-2-dev/

Quote from the above article:
As it says, the primary gameplay process/thread usually is heftier to calculate than lesser processes involved. I'm not completely sure what parts can and can't be parallellized as I'm no programmer, but I would guess that sound effects, logistics and physics can be separated into their own processes to some degree, but because they all interact and require information from each other, you can't just split them into smaller processes. Programming in parallel is difficult to comprehend for anything other than "simple" embarrassingly parallel workloads, which sort of make sense even visualized in layman's terms (like multiple threads rendering equally big parts of an image..)

I don't think you're running into memory bandwidth issues though, I mean, look at Minecraft, it's relatively simple as a game but has to handle volumes of voxel data and freezes on the mightiest machine if you spawn too much TNT and make it explode.

But yeah, DDR2 and DDR3 didn't really make a big difference, neither will DDR4 as the other components (and programming, as noted here) lag way behind in an enormous majority of cases.
Then no need to wait for DDR4 den.

Aug 22, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #2,599 of 9,120
and I'm going to be making my own mouse! :D

Aug 22, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #2,601 of 9,120
Ehhhhh, OK then?
Like make a hand mold out of clay and get custom switches and such, not to mention making it look like a badass! :D

Aug 22, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #2,603 of 9,120
What do you guys think of my build so far?

New Items -- New Condition
Case:  Node 304 / $45
RAM:  BallisticX sport 2x8=16GB / $90
CPU:  AMD FX 8350 BE  $169.99
MOBO:  mITX, $35
GPU:  XFX DD 7970 3GB / $290 (version refresh)

Scrapped:
PSU:  Rosewill 550 / $0
HDD:  1.5TB Green
SSD:  128GB AG3

To be determined:
Cooler
Lighting
External ODD enclosure

Aug 22, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #2,605 of 9,120
I'm still not sure it will all fit...
Which motherboard did you buy?
If it's closed to the PCI-e slot you WILL have problems!

Aug 22, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #2,606 of 9,120

NEW CRYENGINE DEMO VIDEO! Updated! Released Yesterday 8/21

I may have just wet myself a bit

Aug 22, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #2,607 of 9,120
Quote:

NEW CRYENGINE DEMO VIDEO! Updated! Released Yesterday 8/21

I may have just wet myself a bit

MIND = BLOWN right here.
The statues look so REAL...

Is that a teaser for an indev Crytek game tho? Who knows? XD
I'd like to see a possible Far Cry 4 using CryEngine 4 (at least, that's what I'd like to call the new engine they just demoed in the vid). Or maybe Crysis 4...but considering that the Alpha Ceph is as good as dead, well...

This is just...wow. I'd get myself an Oculus and stay in the video game world forever. XD

Aug 22, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #2,608 of 9,120
Quote:
MIND = BLOWN right here.
The statues look so REAL...

Is that a teaser for an indev Crytek game tho? Who knows? XD
I'd like to see a possible Far Cry 4 using CryEngine 4 (at least, that's what I'd like to call the new engine they just demoed in the vid). Or maybe Crysis 4...but considering that the Alpha Ceph is as good as dead, well...

This is just...wow. I'd get myself an Oculus and stay in the video game world forever. XD

It's not a teaser, that is Ryse Son of Rome footage. That footage has been out for a while now! :)

Yeah, Crytek is now a main Microsoft dev, and is hitting all the stops in graphics prowress

Aug 23, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #2,609 of 9,120
Quote:
It's not a teaser, that is Ryse Son of Rome footage. That footage has been out for a while now! :)

Yeah, Crytek is now a main Microsoft dev, and is hitting all the stops in graphics prowress

Whoa...I never knew that!

So now that Crytek's an MS dev, we're probably seeing many more titles on the PC! Yay for us!

Aug 23, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #2,610 of 9,120
Quote:
Like make a hand mold out of clay and get custom switches and such, not to mention making it look like a badass!
biggrin.gif

Quote:
You can't make it look like a "badass", only make it look "badass" or make it "badass". Lol GRAMMAR NAZI!!!

LOL. When it's finished, upload a pic so we can all see just how it's gonna look like a badass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back