PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Aug 19, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #2,566 of 9,120
Quote:
I just stick with the good stuff. I know and read many comparison tests, but in the end, the 'average' and stable one that was actually cheap was AS5. I got it for $7 so yeah.

The Noctua NT-H1 paste is excellent as well. Doesn't degrade over time like some other pastes do. I've had my cooler mounted for almost 1.5 years now and the temps are identical to when I first seated it. That's pretty impressive coming from AS5 (which I would have to re apply some what regularly) ... 

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=13&lng=en

Aug 19, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #2,567 of 9,120
Quote:

The Noctua NT-H1 paste is excellent as well. Doesn't degrade over time like some other pastes do. I've had my cooler mounted for almost 1.5 years now and the temps are identical to when I first seated it. That's pretty impressive coming from AS5 (which I would have to re apply some what regularly) ... 

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=13&lng=en

Enticiing. My paste is about dried up on my desktop 
ph34r.gif

I cleaned it a few weeks ago. And had to seal everything back up with the dried paste because I had none. But hey, the temperatures, even when gaming on it with the dried paste are not a problem.

Aug 19, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #2,568 of 9,120
So interested in Kaveri since Gigabyte is making Ultra Durable and Sniper boards for it. Either the rumors of FX chips dying are true or the APU is going to do admirably well, although it'll still probably be capped at 4 cores/2 modules. I sort of expect it to sit at equal terms with the Haswell i3 or sit between the Haswell i3 and i5 if AMD can squeeze out enough IPC improvements and such or unless more things start to switch towards heterogeneous computing or start to focus more on multi-threaded performance versus single thread or core (still, Intel does well regardless).

Aug 19, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #2,569 of 9,120
Quote:
So interested in Kaveri since Gigabyte is making Ultra Durable and Sniper boards for it. Either the rumors of FX chips dying are true or the APU is going to do admirably well, although it'll still probably be capped at 4 cores/2 modules. I sort of expect it to sit at equal terms with the Haswell i3 or sit between the Haswell i3 and i5 if AMD can squeeze out enough IPC improvements and such or unless more things start to switch towards heterogeneous computing or start to focus more on multi-threaded performance versus single thread or core (still, Intel does well regardless).

I remember the year they debuted the Sniper's in Taipei's. That was a memorable year as their page was flooded with cute girls in skimpy clothing holding their motherboards lol

Aug 19, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #2,570 of 9,120
Many will call blasphemy, but I game on a laptop. My previous desktop computer had i5 3570K and a GTX 460. I sold it because I travel too much to use it, and now gaming on a i7 3630QM and GT 650M SLI. To my amazement, it feels snappier in some games than my previous desktop, BF3 and Borderlands 2 run VERY fluidly on a window. No wonder, they're "old" games by now. Even as such, I have to say this is nothing like I imagined owning a laptop would be. It's quiet as a whisper, runs games nearly maxed, and renders faster than my previous desktop (thanks to HT).

Aug 19, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #2,571 of 9,120
Quote:
Many will call blasphemy, but I game on a laptop. My previous desktop computer had i5 3570K and a GTX 460. I sold it because I travel too much to use it, and now gaming on a i7 3630QM and GT 650M SLI. To my amazement, it feels snappier in some games than my previous desktop, BF3 and Borderlands 2 run VERY fluidly on a window. No wonder, they're "old" games by now. Even as such, I have to say this is nothing like I imagined owning a laptop would be. It's quiet as a whisper, runs games nearly maxed, and renders faster than my previous desktop (thanks to HT).

Most in the world that play PC games game on a laptop. 

Nothing wrong with gaming on it. The only problems I have are how compressed everything is. And layering out external monitors and mech keyboards and gaming mouses on a desk with everything pugged into that laptop feels almost counter productive to me at some points. I don't move around much so a desktop fits me well but I can definately understand where you are comming from. And good luck to you dog face.

Aug 19, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #2,572 of 9,120
Quote:
http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=71658

So yup, NT-H1, PK-3, MX-4 are pretty equal, with lowest temp to highest temp in that order. The variation is so little just look for which one is the least expensive.

Arctic Silver 5 and Ceramique 2 are a bit weak though, as they're around 0.4-0.5 degrees Celsius worse in performance as far as the Delta temperature goes. Still not a big issue.

Agreed, although if you look around there's dozens of different reviewers putting the different pastes all over the map.  I try to see what the consensus is among them.

Aug 19, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #2,574 of 9,120
Okay, so I plan on upgrading soon.

Do I get the 7950 now or wait for 9XXX?

I already purchased a Node 304 mITX + 8x2 GB RAM for $135.
The case will not fit a Crossfire/SLI configuration, aiming for single card performance.

I'm fps sensitive, and at the same time I like to dial the quality up.
My monitor will be a Xstar 2560x1440, I doubt the 7950 will handle 1440p with the latest/greatest.

But a IceQ for $200 is hard to pass up, solid and silent.

As for CPU, I don't need something groundbreaking.  Maybe an i5/fx will do for me.
I'm thinking of tearing down my current system, and borrowing the 6850 until a good card comes for cheap.  At the same time, I would really like to sell it.  I figure a whole system and monitor will sell for a better price than the raw parts.

Aug 19, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #2,575 of 9,120
If you're FPS sensitive, most obviously you will not want to wing your CPU choice. Since Intel has generally much higher per-core performance and no game benefits from six and eight cores of AMD FX, you are better off with Intel i5 or i7.As for the GPU, I would wait for 9xxx.

Aug 19, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #2,576 of 9,120
Uh, depends what exactly you want your system to be able to do and what games you're playing.  I am using an HIS IceQ 7970, standard clocks, so only a tiny bit faster than a 7950, and also happen to game on 1440p.  You should be able to play most non-demanding games at max settings with a good FPS, such as League of Legends, MMO's, and most games from a year or two ago.   With console ports such as Bioshock, Tomb Raider, Dead Space 3, etc, you're probably going to want to play on med-high settings to get a full 60fps.  Games like Far Cry 3, Crysis, etc, you're really going to have to turn the settings down to get a consistent 60fps. 
A 7950 for that price is a great deal no doubt, but just make sure that you're ok with the performance you'll be getting.  If you wait for the 9xxx series the prices are definitely going to be much higher so imo there's good reason to pick up a 7950 or 7970 now.  Try to get one with the AMD never settle bundle too, you can Ebay those games for at least $40 usually.

Aug 19, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #2,577 of 9,120
Quote:
Uh, depends what exactly you want your system to be able to do and what games you're playing.  I am using an HIS IceQ 7970, standard clocks, so only a tiny bit faster than a 7950, and also happen to game on 1440p.  You should be able to play most non-demanding games at max settings with a good FPS, such as League of Legends, MMO's, and most games from a year or two ago.   With console ports such as Bioshock, Tomb Raider, Dead Space 3, etc, you're probably going to want to play on med-high settings to get a full 60fps.  Games like Far Cry 3, Crysis, etc, you're really going to have to turn the settings down to get a consistent 60fps. 
A 7950 for that price is a great deal no doubt, but just make sure that you're ok with the performance you'll be getting.  If you wait for the 9xxx series the prices are definitely going to be much higher so imo there's good reason to pick up a 7950 or 7970 now.  Try to get one with the AMD never settle bundle too, you can Ebay those games for at least $40 usually.

I always get my listings removed on eBay...  Though this particular 7950 does have the never settle bundle included.

What about this?
http://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-Overclocked-Utilities-PCI-Express-GTX680-DC2O-2GD5/dp/B007ZT2E1C/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376954325&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=ecs+gtx+680

EDIT:  What was I thinking *doh*

Aug 19, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #2,578 of 9,120
I'm interested to see everyone's builds if you have pics.  Here's my most recent build:

i7 3930K @ 4.4GHz
8GB Dominator Platinum 1600MHz
MSI X79-GD45 Plus
Xigmatek Dark Knight II
Sound Blaster Z
2x MSI GTX 660 SLI
2x Samsung 840 Pro RAID 0
1100 Watt abs power supply
Custom Antec 1200 case

Peripherals:
BenQ XL2720T
Fidelio X1
Project Starlight
Turtle Beach DSS
Razer BW Ultimate
Roccat Kone
Xtrac Ripper

Aug 19, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #2,579 of 9,120
I'm interested to see everyone's builds if you have pics.  Here's my most recent build:

i7 3930K @ 4.4GHz

8GB Dominator Platinum 1600MHz

MSI X79-GD45 Plus

Xigmatek Dark Knight II

Sound Blaster Z

2x MSI GTX 660 SLI

2x Samsung 840 Pro RAID 0

1100 Watt abs power supply

Custom Antec 1200 case

Peripherals:
BenQ XL2720T

Fidelio X1

Project Starlight

Turtle Beach DSS

Razer BW Ultimate

Roccat Kone

Xtrac Ripper
0_o Jeez, Mr. RichieRich over here. :p

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #2,580 of 9,120
Quote:
I always get my listings removed on eBay...  Though this particular 7950 does have the never settle bundle included.

What about this?
http://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-Overclocked-Utilities-PCI-Express-GTX680-DC2O-2GD5/dp/B007ZT2E1C/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376954325&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=ecs+gtx+680

EDIT:  What was I thinking *doh*

I don't have much experience with Nvidia but a 680 should run pretty much all of your games at 60fps, especially if you do a little bit of overclocking.
If you want to save money though, 7950's are dipping below $200 pretty regularly and you can get even a 7970 for under $300 nowadays.  

Random pic of my comp xD.  The NZXT Phantom case looks kind of cool with all the outer panels removed.  Second pic is with my gramp's budget build.
I'd love to take some nicer pics but my room looks like ****(college).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back