ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jun 2, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #8,912 of 16,326

It works for me with Tidal. Whenever I plug in a cable the Music app has a pop up asking if it can initialize the USB device, I think you have to not allow this if you want to use tidal.

​Correct. When you attach an amp/DAC through the usb, the X1 will use the onkyo player by defalult.  You have to click no, and then you should be able to connect to Tidal.  With the mojo I had to tap the power button on the mojo after clicking no to get it to recognize the mojo. 

I prefer the line out to my Creative E5 amp also so I still use the X1's DAC and bypass the E5's.

Jun 3, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #8,914 of 16,326
So, I ended up rooting the DP-X1, then undid it.

Benefits:
 - adblock
 - f.lux
 - Xposed (to run youtube background playback without getting red, or youtube adblock, for example)
 - on dev-friendly carrier phones (i.e nexus or htc phones for example), you can use root to uninstall bloatware, or flash a whole different ROM.  on the dp-x1 this point is a bit moot as bloatware is minimal (and you can disable all the useless apps without root), and there are no other ROMs to really speak of.  Going to another rom, you'd likely lose the dual dac/amp balanced out anyway.

Cons:
  - generally none with a proper root/recovery, but on the dp-x1 so far, it seems like kingroot is the only way to root.  Kingroot installs itself as more than just a "su" binary, inserting bloatware like "purify", and a new charging screen along with who knows what else.  It actively prevents other su binaries (like supersu) installing itself and makes itself uninstallable (couldn't even use titanium backup to uninstall kingroot.apk to replace with supersu).  I didn't quite trust it, so I uninstalled it and went back to root-less (but kept /etc/hosts modified to keep adblocking on).

Basically, unless you HAVE to have adblock/f.lux or some other root-only app I can't think of right now, benefits of rooting the dp-x1 are minimal.. imo.

edit: oh - viper4android.  if you have to have that, root is the only way.

edit2: another con is that certain phones have signature/checksum verification and an OTA update will fail if your system partition is modified (i.e rooted).  Not sure if the DPX1 has this check in place or not but something to consider.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I was wondering if it would be worth it for me to go through the trouble of rooting and installing root-only drivers or applications with my type of usage.

Jun 3, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #8,918 of 16,326
Hi everyone!

Just got mine in the mail too! Setting it up now - anything big/important I should know? (without having to read through this entire thread
tongue.gif
)

Can't wait to pair it with my K10 CIEM's in balanced mode once they arrive.

Jun 3, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #8,919 of 16,326
  Hi everyone!

Just got mine in the mail too! Setting it up now - anything big/important I should know? (without having to read through this entire thread
tongue.gif
)

Congratulations 
smile.gif

The thread is not even 600 pages yet ... you've plenty of time to read it while the battery is charging 
blink.gif

Only important thing is to treat the headphone jacks with care ... they're delicate.

And if you're using a single SD card put it in the top slot as this is one that streaming services have access to.

And buy a Dignis case for it ... cos it's beautiful 
L3000.gif

Jun 3, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #8,920 of 16,326

Congratulations 
smile.gif

The thread is not even 600 pages yet ... you've plenty of time to read it while the battery is charging 
blink.gif

Only important thing is to treat the headphone jacks with care ... they're delicate.

And if you're using a single SD card put it in the top slot as this is one that streaming services have access to.

And buy a Dignis case for it ... cos it's beautiful 
L3000.gif

Thanks!

Jun 3, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #8,921 of 16,326
Hi everyone!

Just got mine in the mail too! Setting it up now - anything big/important I should know? (without having to read through this entire thread :p )

Another pair of X1 + k10. Congrats!

Jun 4, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #8,922 of 16,326
hello, i just updated my dp-x1 but it failed said error status 7 and after that it always boot into recovery mode. can anyone help me?

unrooted and uninstalled xposed, tried to factory reset  and wipe partition cache in recovery mode :frowning2:

could someone sent me the link of stock rom in cause i couldn't find any in google and really desperate for this.. :frowning2:

Jun 4, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #8,923 of 16,326
hello, i just updated my dp-x1 but it failed said error status 7 and after that it always boot into recovery mode. can anyone help me?

unrooted and uninstalled xposed and tried to factory reset  and wipe partition cache in recovery mode :frowning2:

It may be a bit late to say this now, but it is not unusual for a rooted Android to go crazy if you run an update while rooted...

At least you should unroot before the update... but since the purpose of many updates is to thwart old root methods, making it more difficult if not impossible to root after the update...

and since I can't live without root... for safety's sake I simply never update my devices after I root.

What one can get out of the root experience varies from person to person anyway...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 4, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #8,924 of 16,326
It may be a bit late to say this now, but it is not unusual for a rooted Android to go crazy if you run an update while rooted...

At least you should unroot before the update... but since the purpose of many updates is to thwart old root methods, making it more difficult if not impossible to root after the update...

and since I can't live without root... for safety's sake I simply never update my devices after I root.

What one can get out of the root experience varies from person to person anyway...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2372750
I only find root indispensable because of the great use I make out of Viper4Android. I have garnered over 100 thumb-ups on xda alone from my compiled list of headphone correction profiles. And the nature of these profiles is such that I can get even more out of them when I make a profile tuned specifically to my ears than when I export these profiles for public consumption.

yeah, i unrooted it before the update and it says error status 7 in the update.zip  i don't know why then the device just went crazy and it always boot into recovery mode. could you help me with this ,any way to get out from this bootlooping into recovery mode

Users who are viewing this thread

Back