ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jun 2, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #8,898 of 16,326
Hi guys,

I have this issue with my dpx1. Sometimes when I am playing the album, it would suddenly stop after a song. I would then need to depress play to start it again..anyone has the same problem?

Thanks

Make sure the on screen volume turn off and screen is turn off to prevent accidentally touch the screen and pause the song.

Jun 2, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #8,900 of 16,326
  a couple more things you should try:
switch on airplane mode unless you really need wifi/bluetooth
under settings in the music app, make sure auto sync is switched off

but in airplane mode you still can turn on wifi and bt 
tongue.gif

IMHO there's no difference between airplane mode or normal mode

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #8,901 of 16,326
Hi guys, I'm thinking of getting this for my next DAP. From what I've read, it looks like the DP-X1 can be rooted. Do you guys recommend rooting it though? What are the benefits of rooting the DP-X1? Also, is the balanced jack still loose in the newer batches of the DP-X1? Thanks.

So, I ended up rooting the DP-X1, then undid it.

Benefits:
 - adblock
 - f.lux
 - Xposed (to run youtube background playback without getting red, or youtube adblock, for example)
 - on dev-friendly carrier phones (i.e nexus or htc phones for example), you can use root to uninstall bloatware, or flash a whole different ROM.  on the dp-x1 this point is a bit moot as bloatware is minimal (and you can disable all the useless apps without root), and there are no other ROMs to really speak of.  Going to another rom, you'd likely lose the dual dac/amp balanced out anyway.

Cons:
  - generally none with a proper root/recovery, but on the dp-x1 so far, it seems like kingroot is the only way to root.  Kingroot installs itself as more than just a "su" binary, inserting bloatware like "purify", and a new charging screen along with who knows what else.  It actively prevents other su binaries (like supersu) installing itself and makes itself uninstallable (couldn't even use titanium backup to uninstall kingroot.apk to replace with supersu).  I didn't quite trust it, so I uninstalled it and went back to root-less (but kept /etc/hosts modified to keep adblocking on).

Basically, unless you HAVE to have adblock/f.lux or some other root-only app I can't think of right now, benefits of rooting the dp-x1 are minimal.. imo.

edit: oh - viper4android.  if you have to have that, root is the only way.

edit2: another con is that certain phones have signature/checksum verification and an OTA update will fail if your system partition is modified (i.e rooted).  Not sure if the DPX1 has this check in place or not but something to consider.

Jun 2, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #8,902 of 16,326

Benefits:
 - adblock
 - f.lux
 - Xposed (to run youtube background playback without getting red, or youtube adblock, for example)
 - on dev-friendly carrier phones (i.e nexus or htc phones for example), you can use root to uninstall bloatware, or flash a whole different ROM.  on the dp-x1 this point is a bit moot as bloatware is minimal (and you can disable all the useless apps without root), and there are no other ROMs to really speak of.  Going to another rom, you'd likely lose the dual dac/amp balanced out anyway.

Cons:
  - generally none with a proper root/recovery, but on the dp-x1 so far, it seems like kingroot is the only way to root.  Kingroot installs itself as more than just a "su" binary, inserting bloatware like "purify", and a new charging screen along with who knows what else.  It actively prevents other su binaries (like supersu) installing itself and makes itself uninstallable (couldn't even use titanium backup to uninstall kingroot.apk to replace with supersu).  I didn't quite trust it, so I uninstalled it and went back to root-less (but kept /etc/hosts modified to keep adblocking on).

Basically, unless you HAVE to have adblock/f.lux or some other root-only app I can't think of right now, benefits of rooting the dp-x1 are minimal.. imo.

In my rooting instructions posted earlier, I included steps on how to remove Kingroot and replace it with SuperSU once you are rooted.  So that gets rid of all of the Kingroot stuff while still having root.

For me, the adblocking alone is worth staying rooted.

Jun 2, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #8,903 of 16,326
  In my rooting instructions posted earlier, I included steps on how to remove Kingroot and replace it with SuperSU once you are rooted.  So that gets rid of all of the Kingroot stuff while still having root.

For me, the adblocking alone is worth staying rooted.

oh - that is fantastic.  i'll have to dig up your post :) thanks!

Jun 2, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #8,905 of 16,326
  I tried connecting my DP-X1 to my Schiit Bifrost via usb without success today.  Tried 5 different (Known to work) OTG cables,  Anyone had/tried this?  Thanks.

Did you try going to the default onkyo music app -> settings, and check "search for usb devices" under the 'playback' section?

Jun 2, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #8,906 of 16,326
Does Tidal and Spotify work when using the dpx1 with the OTG cable output to DAC then to amp? I have no issues listening to the dpx1 music player app, but get no output when using streaming apps. Maybe it's a setting issue I missed? Thanks for the help. (DPX1--> OTG cable --> ifi nano --> Lyr 2 --> HE500)

Jun 2, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #8,907 of 16,326
One more great IEM pairing for DP-X1.

Just tried the Sennheiser IE-80 and it's fantastic, given the price! I've only tried SE output but it's fairly neutral and you can tune how much bass/warmth you want with the adjustment on the IE-80. The only ones who may not like this combo are those looking for warm, lush mids. Pretty decent width to sound stage, but not very deep. At the current selling price of about $250, it's a heck of deal and gives you a complete DAP/IEM combo for under $1K.

Jun 2, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #8,908 of 16,326
Does Tidal and Spotify work when using the dpx1 with the OTG cable output to DAC then to amp? I have no issues listening to the dpx1 music player app, but get no output when using streaming apps. Maybe it's a setting issue I missed? Thanks for the help. (DPX1--> OTG cable --> ifi nano --> Lyr 2 --> HE500)

It works for me with Tidal. Whenever I plug in a cable the Music app has a pop up asking if it can initialize the USB device, I think you have to not allow this if you want to use tidal.

Jun 2, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #8,909 of 16,326

Why not just use the lineout on the DP-X1? The Nano is being used as a DAC right?

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #8,910 of 16,326

Benefits:
 - adblock
 - f.lux

Cons:

Thank you for the rooting Pro/Con suggestion!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back