New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Jun 27, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #2,956 of 3,599
I don't get any audible hum with the W3000ANV and the Leben, no. But I DID get some hum from the Leben when I first got it, with the tubes that were in it. When I retubed it with tubes I knew were good, no hum. Note that I bought mine used, and it did not come with stock tubes.

Jun 27, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #2,957 of 3,599
Quote:
I don't get any audible hum with the W3000ANV and the Leben, no. But I DID get some hum from the Leben when I first got it, with the tubes that were in it. When I retubed it with tubes I knew were good, no hum. Note that I bought mine used, and it did not come with stock tubes.

Thanks for the quick response. Out of curiosity, what power tubes are you using in your Leben. I've got a quad of RCA black plates but one would think that with Leben's well known excellent quality control, the stock Sovtek 6L6GC's, while not the most musical, would at least not produce an audible hum.

Jun 27, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #2,958 of 3,599
Your 600 and my 300 use different tubes. I'm using GE 6BQ5's in my CS300, but that's not really relevant for you :wink:

Jun 28, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #2,959 of 3,599
Hi Skylab,

I am awaiting delivery of my W3000 and was wondering if you prefer to listen to them through your Sansui vintage receiver or Leben w/tubes? Just curious, thanks.

Jun 29, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #2,960 of 3,599
They sound better on the Leben. They do sound excellent on the Sansui, and I use them there mostly, because of the location. But I do think the best sound of what I have here is with the Leben.

I will also say I am currently auditioning the ECP Audio L-2, and it is perhaps my favorite amp so far with the W3000ANV specifically.

Jun 29, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #2,961 of 3,599
Good to know. If you're happy with the Sansui, that gives me reason to believe they should sound good with my vintage Yamaha CR-2020 :)

Jun 29, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #2,962 of 3,599
Quote:
Good to know. If you're happy with the Sansui, that gives me reason to believe they should sound good with my vintage Yamaha CR-2020 :)

I found my Pioneer SX-650 did a decent job with the W3000 but I've settled in to using them with the Harman Kardon 730

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #2,963 of 3,599
I found my Pioneer SX-650 did a decent job with the W3000 but I've settled in to using them with the Harman Kardon 730

Would you say the difference between the two receivers is:

A) Night & day
B) Significant
C) Noticeable
D) Marginal
E) Splitting hairs

Jun 30, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #2,964 of 3,599
Quote:
Would you say the difference between the two receivers is:
A) Night & day
B) Significant
C) Noticeable
D) Marginal
E) Splitting hairs

I'm wavering between saying noticeable and significant. I've actually found differences between my three amping choices, the HK 730, SX-650 and the internal amp of the M-DAC to be more noticeable than with other phones I've tried. Those other phones include the LCD-2's, HD650 and RS-1's.

The W3000's don't sound bad out of any of the choices, I didn't notice significant differences in detail retrieval, the biggest differences I noted were in character and balance.

I first started using the M-DAC's internal amp because it had done an admirable job with the LCD-2's so I expected similar results with the W3000's. The M-DAC leans to the side of being warm and spacious with a smooth treble that's just a bit on the blurry side so sibilance, while not overly hot or biting does become slightly accentuated. Where the M-DAC really seemed to lack for me was in bass weight. It feels like the bass is set back a bit.

The Harman Kardon 730 was in a different room so after a few day with the M-DAC's internal amp I switched to the Pioneer SX-650. This showed a different side to the W3000's. The SX-650 not only brought the bass out more but it became punchier. Overall, while a certain amount or warmth was retained, the overall sound became livelier, more dynamic with transients less glossed over giving a cleaner, more focused treble.

I was reasonably happy with the SX-650 until it started acting up a bit and curiosity got the better of me so I swapped the SX-650 for the HK 730. The 730 is closer in character to the M-DAC's internal amp than the SX-650 but it's fuller and more extended than the M-DAC. When switching from the SX-650 the first thing I noticed was it's smoother and warmer. The lower bass filled out with more weight but less punch in the mid bass. The lower mids are also more fleshed out giving the overall sound a bit more meat on it's bones so to speak. The stage is more spacious but instruments aren't quite as focused as the SX-650 and the treble is reduced a hair, smoother yet loses some of the definition and focus of the SX-650.

For my preference the Harman Kardon 730 is the best compromise. It has the best bass weight and extension while still retaining quite a good amount of punch. The mids are warm, smooth and liquid with the nicest texture and tone of the 3 choices. The SX-650 has a nicer, more defined treble but the 730 does a nice job in it's own right.

Hearing the change in the W3000 between these 3 amps has definitely got me curious to hear how they fare moving up the ladder to the higher end dedicated amps like the Zana Deux or the ECP.

Jul 1, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #2,965 of 3,599
I just received my W3000 and have them connected to a Cary Cinema 12. I only listened for a short time so far because the cable is too short to reach my listening position. Can anyone recommend a good extension cable?

Jul 1, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #2,966 of 3,599
Quote:
I've actually found differences between my three amping choices, the HK 730, SX-650 and the internal amp of the M-DAC to be more noticeable than with other phones I've tried.

Any idea what the output impedance on the headphone jacks of those vintage recievers is?

Jul 1, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #2,969 of 3,599
Quote:

Any idea what the output impedance on the headphone jacks of those vintage recievers is?

Nope, although I do know the M-DAC is around 1 ohm. Based on what I know of vintage gear though I'd expect the receivers to be higher.

Jul 1, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #2,970 of 3,599
Quote:

They usually hang several hundred ohms off the speaker taps.  The more power it has the more impedance the head out probably has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back