New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Jul 7, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #2,986 of 3,599
Quote:

Doesn't the ZD SE have a preout? Mine did, but perhaps it was a custom.

I'd agree that the Woos (WA6 and WA2 at least) weren't spectacular with the W3000s, for whatever reason. The ZD is -- really supercharges these phones and is the best amp I've heard with them, including some more expensive and highly-regarded units. That being said, during our move I had great success using the W3000s with very modest amps, and they really do seem to get the best out of whatever is driving them. The little Bellari HP amp with a decent tube is a terrific combination, IMO, with some of the qualities of the ZD at a silly price. The Carys also work well, as HP amp and preamps, as did a vintage McIntosh integrated I had a chance to listen to a while back.

And I know it can sometimes be heresy on these boards to talk up the Benchmark products, but I was also really impressed with the W3000/DAC1 HDR combo. A fine-sounding and flexible combo with a good built-in pre.

Oh I didn't know they offer customization option. The standard ZD SE only comes with line out so I won't be able to change volume on that.

Problem is, I could afford a Benchmark DAC1 and a Yamamoto HA02 given the price of the ZD SE.
rolleyes.gif

I am interested in Benchmark product actually but more for pro audio purposes. The Pre/HDR model offers 3 gain stages whereas the USB model only 2 while the non-USB model 1 gain stage for its HPA. My friend told me that the HPA output volume is pretty loud and he has got problem listening to his Grado via the DAC1 at its minimum level. As such, he suggested me to go for the USB or even Pre just to get the adjustable gain. The price markup is really very high so I wonder if I will be able to cope with the DAC1?

That said, my modded Eastern Electric DAC with Asgard is really sounding phenomenal on the W3000. I just wonder how much better will the ZD SE bring to the table.

But now, given the price, my heart is a little swayed to the Svetlana 2. Only concern is product support (since it is a Korean company and little people know about them).

Jul 7, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #2,987 of 3,599
Quote:

I have read that comment on W3000ANV + WA2 and it was reported that they aren't a spectacular match. Woo Audio confirmed with me regarding that as well.

I'm surprised at the all the comments regarding the WA2 & W3000 combo not being so good. I've used it and thought it sounded great, the W3000 is easy to drive and the WA2 delivers plenty of power for a pure OTL design, and for the preferred sound signature plenty of tube combinations are possible...

But I would interested in particular what Woo Audio had to say specifically in terms of why / how it isn't a good combo. Can you elaborate? I'm mostly just curious, not trying to convince you otherwise (if there's one thing I've learned here as far as Head-Fi goes, it's to each his own)

Jul 7, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #2,988 of 3,599
Quote:

Wow you guys really know how to make me max out my budget
evil_smiley.gif

Yup I needed a pre out so Zana Deux SE and V200 don't make the cut.

I have read that comment on W3000ANV + WA2 and it was reported that they aren't a spectacular match. Woo Audio confirmed with me regarding that as well.

Both the Svetlana 2 and Rudistore RPX-35 look good. From the website it seems that W3000ANV was used in designing the Svetlana 2. For the Rudistore, I am not sure.

I am nitpicking because I could get much more if I were to separate my headamp from a preamp. However, there is limited space in my bedroom so I will need to collapse them as one.

Will pull the trigger next month so I want to make sure that I don't squander the money and that the amp will do justice to the W3000ANV. It is the last headphone I will ever want to sell away
bigsmile_face.gif

The Svetlana 2 existed before the W3000ANV was released. But generally people seem to agree the amp sounds great the W-series of ATH. As a owner I think it sounds great with the W3K. But going to this level I don't think you could end up bad with other competitive alternatives. I hope you can find a amp that is up to your tastes.

biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #2,990 of 3,599
Quote:
Quote:
I'm surprised at the all the comments regarding the WA2 & W3000 combo not being so good. I've used it and thought it sounded great, the W3000 is easy to drive and the WA2 delivers plenty of power for a pure OTL design, and for the preferred sound signature plenty of tube combinations are possible...

But I would interested in particular what Woo Audio had to say specifically in terms of why / how it isn't a good combo. Can you elaborate? I'm mostly just curious, not trying to convince you otherwise (if there's one thing I've learned here as far as Head-Fi goes, it's to each his own)

I think that the W3000 sounded good on most amp but those spectacular ones being reported so far are the Yammy, ZD, Cavalli LF as well as some other amps.

The WA2 is packed with a lot of grunt but it was said that it drives high impedance cans like HD800, LCD3 and T1 better than the W3000.

Personally I love the WA2 design much more than any of the other amps I will grab it if it works well, I mean super well, with the W3000.

However, at that price, it is too expensive to fail. The reply I received from Woo Audio was by one of their staff. No detailed explanation given. Just that the WA6SE will be a much better pair with the W3000 than the WA2. I don't think he has heard of the W3000 as well, just a conclusion based on the given specs.

What other amps have you compared the WA2 with when driving the W3000?

Quote:

The Svetlana 2 existed before the W3000ANV was released. But generally people seem to agree the amp sounds great the W-series of ATH. As a owner I think it sounds great with the W3K. But going to this level I don't think you could end up bad with other competitive alternatives. I hope you can find a amp that is up to your tastes.

biggrin.gif

I am thinking of grabbing a W5000, AD2000 as well as A2000X down the road. Any amp that works well with ATH cans will save me much money and trouble down the road! =D

Wanted to get those cans before getting an amp. But if I do so, there is nothing much to enjoy in the meanwhile. Hmmm.

Quote:
You can change the volume on the preamp out on the ZD SE.  It is a preamp with the adjustment coming from the volume knob.

Ahhh now I get it. The 'Line-Out' as stated on their website is actually 'Pre-Out'.

I hope that others can chip in on how much better the ZD SE is as compared to cheaper amps such as the Yammy
normal_smile%20.gif

Jul 8, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #2,991 of 3,599
Quote:
I think that the W3000 sounded good on most amp but those spectacular ones being reported so far are the Yammy, ZD, Cavalli LF as well as some other amps.

The WA2 is packed with a lot of grunt but it was said that it drives high impedance cans like HD800, LCD3 and T1 better than the W3000.

Personally I love the WA2 design much more than any of the other amps I will grab it if it works well, I mean super well, with the W3000.

However, at that price, it is too expensive to fail. The reply I received from Woo Audio was by one of their staff. No detailed explanation given. Just that the WA6SE will be a much better pair with the W3000 than the WA2. I don't think he has heard of the W3000 as well, just a conclusion based on the given specs.

What other amps have you compared the WA2 with when driving the W3000?

Well, those other amps better deliver since some of them are several times the price of the WA2
tongue.gif

I've been eyeing the Yamamoto myself for the W3000 in the past. As far as grunt goes, the WA2 is pretty weak being OTL, at 32ohm (a bit lower than the W3000's 40) it delivers "only" 310mW, the WA22 1500mW (balanced though), and the WA6SE a whopping 2000mW. But again, the W3000 is very efficient, unlike say the LCD-3: low impedance, pretty low sensitivity & power hungry... an OTL nightmare
tongue.gif
(unlike the HD800 or T1, as you wrote) Yet some people like -that- combo (besides me, I can think of Ardilla for example) so there really shouldn't be an issue with the W3000...

You are correct that the Woo staff played it safe based on the low impedance by recommending the WA6SE which delivers some serious brute power for almost the same price as the WA2.

As far as other amps go, at a head-fi level only the Schiit Valhalla, another OTL, lower price & power, which sounded very good as well with the W3000 but definitely struggled with the LCD-3s at higher volume... But hey I just like me some OTL Tube goodness, and I have a soft spot for the Valhalla since it was my gateway drug  -_-;; The WA2 was definitely a big step up, used with any of my 'phones (as per my list), including the W3000 which still sounds very slightly best with it.

Nowadays the W3000 gets most play on the Peachtree iNova as my bedside rig, as per my older post, they are just lovely together in every respect! But that may not be head-fi enough... even though in terms of preamp, it certainly delivers the I/O (and I never knew that the old re-used compact speakers I hooked up to it could ever sound so good)  That may be a consideration for the WA2 as well: unlike the others it offers -4- switchable inputs.

To be honest, of all the headphones I have, the W3000 wins the Sounds-Great-With-Almost-Any-Amp award any day
biggrin.gif
, and the differences between any of the high-end amps you mention will probably be rather narrow...

Jul 8, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #2,993 of 3,599
Luxman P200 is the absolute BEST! Maybe the HA5000 and HA-02 just as well.

No seriously I think they are all three great amps. What defines "best marriage" for you? If you can be a bit more specific to what you are looking for..

Jul 8, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #2,994 of 3,599
Quote:

Wow you guys really know how to make me max out my budget
evil_smiley.gif

Yup I needed a pre out so Zana Deux SE and V200 don't make the cut.

Both the Svetlana 2 and Rudistore RPX-35 look good. From the website it seems that W3000ANV was used in designing the Svetlana 2. For the Rudistore, I am not sure.

I am nitpicking because I could get much more if I were to separate my headamp from a preamp. However, there is limited space in my bedroom so I will need to collapse them as one.

Will pull the trigger next month so I want to make sure that I don't squander the money and that the amp will do justice to the W3000ANV. It is the last headphone I will ever want to sell away
bigsmile_face.gif

Another great option IMO is looking for a used RSA Apache. It is a great sound amp IMO and I tried it with my Threshold speaker system as pre-amp and did great too.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jul 8, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #2,995 of 3,599
Luxman P200 is the absolute BEST! Maybe the HA5000 and HA-02 just as well.

No seriously I think they are all three great amps. What defines "best marriage" for you? If you can be a bit more specific to what you are looking for..

In my place, I can test with P200 and HA5000, but not HA02

Actually I heard many positive feedback for HA5000 + W5000/W1000 combo, but I worry if it is the same for W3000.
As I found that W3000 is so-called "new" style of ATH, more balance, and less focus on female vocal (although it is still sweet XD)

That's why I worry if HA5000 is better than P200, as it suits more styles, from reviews it can run other brands of headphones well.And HA02, it is kind of "mystery" for ATH but unfortunately I have no chance to try it out.

Jul 9, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #2,996 of 3,599
Quote:
Quote:
Well, those other amps better deliver since some of them are several times the price of the WA2
tongue.gif

I've been eyeing the Yamamoto myself for the W3000 in the past. As far as grunt goes, the WA2 is pretty weak being OTL, at 32ohm (a bit lower than the W3000's 40) it delivers "only" 310mW, the WA22 1500mW (balanced though), and the WA6SE a whopping 2000mW. But again, the W3000 is very efficient, unlike say the LCD-3: low impedance, pretty low sensitivity & power hungry... an OTL nightmare
tongue.gif
(unlike the HD800 or T1, as you wrote) Yet some people like -that- combo (besides me, I can think of Ardilla for example) so there really shouldn't be an issue with the W3000...

You are correct that the Woo staff played it safe based on the low impedance by recommending the WA6SE which delivers some serious brute power for almost the same price as the WA2.

As far as other amps go, at a head-fi level only the Schiit Valhalla, another OTL, lower price & power, which sounded very good as well with the W3000 but definitely struggled with the LCD-3s at higher volume... But hey I just like me some OTL Tube goodness, and I have a soft spot for the Valhalla since it was my gateway drug  -_-;; The WA2 was definitely a big step up, used with any of my 'phones (as per my list), including the W3000 which still sounds very slightly best with it.

Nowadays the W3000 gets most play on the Peachtree iNova as my bedside rig, as per my older post, they are just lovely together in every respect! But that may not be head-fi enough... even though in terms of preamp, it certainly delivers the I/O (and I never knew that the old re-used compact speakers I hooked up to it could ever sound so good)  That may be a consideration for the WA2 as well: unlike the others it offers -4- switchable inputs.

To be honest, of all the headphones I have, the W3000 wins the Sounds-Great-With-Almost-Any-Amp award any day
biggrin.gif
, and the differences between any of the high-end amps you mention will probably be rather narrow...

I always have the impression that Valhalla is overpowered for the W3000. I am currently driving my W3000 with my Asgard and it sounded great. People recommended it over the Valhalla and Lyr for pairing with ATH cans.

I won't mind continuing with my Asgard if not for the need of a pre-amp for my active monitors. It is a pain to constantly adjust volume on both speakers.

The Burson Soloist just fall under my radar too.

If I were to remove the Woo amps reluctantly out of the equation, my problem will then be between the Svetlana 2 or to save another USD800 for the ZD SE.

Quote:
Another great option IMO is looking for a used RSA Apache. It is a great sound amp IMO and I tried it with my Threshold speaker system as pre-amp and did great too.

I have not heard of the Apache before but I have heard of the Darkstar driving the W3000 myself. That pairing is simply phenomenal. Its price is mind-blowing as well. Lol.

Will keep a lookout for a used Apache. Hopefully they are not too different =)

Jul 9, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #2,997 of 3,599
Quote:

I always have the impression that Valhalla is overpowered for the W3000. I am currently driving my W3000 with my Asgard and it sounded great. People recommended it over the Valhalla and Lyr for pairing with ATH cans.

I won't mind continuing with my Asgard if not for the need of a pre-amp for my active monitors. It is a pain to constantly adjust volume on both speakers.

The Burson Soloist just fall under my radar too.

If I were to remove the Woo amps reluctantly out of the equation, my problem will then be between the Svetlana 2 or to save another USD800 for the ZD SE.

I have not heard of the Apache before but I have heard of the Darkstar driving the W3000 myself. That pairing is simply phenomenal. Its price is mind-blowing as well. Lol.

Will keep a lookout for a used Apache. Hopefully they are not too different =)

The sound siganture between the Apache and the Dark Star is very similar. I had an Apache and now I have a Dark Star.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jul 9, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #2,998 of 3,599
After falling in love with my first ATH (ESW9), I decided to pull the trigger on this one. I'll post impressions when it get to my hands.

Jul 9, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #3,000 of 3,599
Quote:
It's a very different sound Sig imo.

Hey, you got the 3000th post in the W3000 thread, I wonder if that means some good luck
beerchug.gif
(owner of the best individual W3000 ever?)

Seconded re: sound signature, very different indeed, but imho better in every respect for the W3000 (the bass is still there if one listens for it, but everything else is so much clearer and more of it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back