New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Jun 25, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #2,941 of 3,599
Quote:
They'll do just fine from ODAC->M-Stage. I'm using them from my VAIO laptop out this very minute. I've also run out them out the Objective2 amp. The W3000ANV's don't have any special requirements other than a quiet amp. You may want to turn the gain down on the M-Stage if there's noise.

My mind is all but made up and that's exactly what I wanted to hear.  Thanks purrin.    

It's been a long, expensive climb but now I have finally reached... Summit-Fi.

Jun 25, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #2,944 of 3,599
Quote:

My mind is all but made up and that's exactly what I wanted to hear.  Thanks purrin.    

It's been a long, expensive climb but now I have finally reached... Summit-Fi.

If that's your Summit-Fi for you, then I'm glad you found it. I found my Summit-Fi in closed cans only and the W3000ANV is a major part of it. When the time comes that the funds are there, get yourself the amp that sounds best for you with them. If possible where you live, go to some meets and try them out to see what exactly you want. I found my heaven in tube amps (but not all of them) that sounded like I imagined the best SS amp would sound. My revelation started with the Zana, a marvelous amp created by a genius IMO.

Jun 25, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #2,945 of 3,599
Quote:
 I found my heaven in tube amps (but not all of them) that sounded like I imagined the best SS amp would sound. My revelation started with the Zana, a marvelous amp created by a genius IMO.

I second that one.  Zana is very revealing with them and dynamic.  I used Beach Camera too, they're great.  They even have esw9s for just over $200., wish i have found them for that when i got mine.  I paid almost twice that after  i got hit with duty.

Jun 26, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #2,946 of 3,599
Quote:
I second that one.  Zana is very revealing with them and dynamic.  I used Beach Camera too, they're great.  They even have esw9s for just over $200., wish i have found them for that when i got mine.  I paid almost twice that after  i got hit with duty.

I know the feeling, I used to pay too much for a lot of gear in the past as well. And duties here amount to 30%. 

Jun 26, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #2,947 of 3,599
I received my W3000ANVs and they really are something special.  Everyone knows how beautiful they are so I won't dig too much into that.

I am listening to them right now just out of the box and they aren't nearly as colored as I was expecting.  They do seem to put a smooth touch to the music.  That's not to say they aren't detailed.  They are very detailed.  I very briefly compared them to my Q701s and the W3000s retrieve just as much, if not more detail.   I like that, a lot.

I am having a bit of an issue with the fit though (surprise surprise).  It seems that the top of the ear pads are a lot looser on my head than the bottom parts.  This is definitely causing a reduction in bass.  If I push the cups against my head I can hear an instant increase in bass response and depth.

I did do a little bending on the headband but I am petrified to put a lot of pressure on it fearing it will snap or crease.  If only the cups swiveled in and out just a bit this would not be a problem...

I assume I need bend the headband so it is more of a steep arc so the cups clamp a bit more.  

Anyone have and tips on how I should go about doing this without messing these up?

Jun 26, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #2,948 of 3,599
I just let mine sit.  It is a weird fit but I think i have the right seal.  Bass seems better than when i first got them, not exactly sure why but even in comparing to other phones that i originally compared them to..........
confused_face_2.gif
  burn in? If it was brain burn it would still be the same in comparison to the others i thing.  Maybe you just start to identify with the sound or something and so it changes it for you.  Jury's still out
wink_face.gif

Jun 26, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #2,949 of 3,599
Quote:
I just let mine sit.  It is a weird fit but I think i have the right seal.  Bass seems better than when i first got them, not exactly sure why but even in comparing to other phones that i originally compared them to..........
confused_face_2.gif
  burn in? If it was brain burn it would still be the same in comparison to the others i thing.  Maybe you just start to identify with the sound or something and so it changes it for you.  Jury's still out
wink_face.gif

I hear ya.  The sound is still great but the fit is bugging me, even more so now.  In addition to the loose fitting earpads, the wings kind of dig into the top of my head a bit.  It's nothing terrible, but my Q701s are far more comfortable even with the 'bumps of death' on the headband...

My initial impressions were that these are great sounding headphones.  That hasn't changed - they are.  However, to my ears, they really aren't leaps above my Q701s or even my HFI-2400s.  The W3K's have more bass than my Q701s but the treble is actually quite similar to my ears.  I hear almost the same amount of details on both.  Of course the Q701s spread the sound out a bit more but to my ears they are far more similar than they are different.  To me that's an eye-opener.  A $230 headphone can sound almost as good as a $1000 headphone.  The law of diminishing returns is definitely in effect i'm afraid. 

Of course, I am running all of this out of my Matrix m-stage.  I really can't afford a big-boy amp right now but hope to get one in the future so maybe that will show their full potential. 

For now, I am going to just keep listening to the W3Ks and see what happens.

Jun 26, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #2,951 of 3,599
Quote:
I received my W3000ANVs and they really are something special.  Everyone knows how beautiful they are so I won't dig too much into that.

I am listening to them right now just out of the box and they aren't nearly as colored as I was expecting.  They do seem to put a smooth touch to the music.  That's not to say they aren't detailed.  They are very detailed.  I very briefly compared them to my Q701s and the W3000s retrieve just as much, if not more detail.   I like that, a lot.

I am having a bit of an issue with the fit though (surprise surprise).  It seems that the top of the ear pads are a lot looser on my head than the bottom parts.  This is definitely causing a reduction in bass.  If I push the cups against my head I can hear an instant increase in bass response and depth.

I did do a little bending on the headband but I am petrified to put a lot of pressure on it fearing it will snap or crease.  If only the cups swiveled in and out just a bit this would not be a problem...

I assume I need bend the headband so it is more of a steep arc so the cups clamp a bit more.  

Anyone have and tips on how I should go about doing this without messing these up?

Congratulations, I LOVE listening to my new W3000ANV as well; even out of the box, and even while burning them in!  Although these fit my head fine, I find it quite interesting that Audio Technica continues to use this style headband, without so much as modifying for adjustability.  

So, perhaps the best way to bend the metal bands on these without risk of deforming or breaking is to use a wooden form.  Start by creating a semi-circular, and slightly crescent shaped form that will be mounted solidly, such as to the side of a workbench.  Make sure the form is wide enough to not only accommodate the bands, but also the eventual spreading that will occur as you press upon them.  The block should be mounted to the side of a workbench so as not to encumber the earpieces or the movable flaps themselves.  

As you gently press upon the headband (while it sits on the form), they will form around the wooden block without risking a sharp bend or crease (such as what I read one professional reviewer doing).  A second set of hands may help.  As you do this, you're going to need to gradually decrease the circumference of the block so it fits your head exactly as you like it.  Continue trying the headphones on as you do so, until they fit exactly the way you desire.  If you have access to a wood shop or a friend who's handy, this should a pretty simply fix. 

Since it's often easier to explain with a diagram, pm me if this isn't clear.  Happy listening!  
L3000.gif

Jun 26, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #2,952 of 3,599
Quote:
 I hear ya.  The sound is still great but the fit is bugging me, even more so now.  In addition to the loose fitting earpads, the wings kind of dig into the top of my head a bit.  It's nothing terrible, but my Q701s are far more comfortable even with the 'bumps of death' on the headband...

My initial impressions were that these are great sounding headphones.  That hasn't changed - they are.  However, to my ears, they really aren't leaps above my Q701s or even my HFI-2400s.  The W3K's have more bass than my Q701s but the treble is actually quite similar to my ears.  I hear almost the same amount of details on both.  Of course the Q701s spread the sound out a bit more but to my ears they are far more similar than they are different.  To me that's an eye-opener.  A $230 headphone can sound almost as good as a $1000 headphone.  The law of diminishing returns is definitely in effect i'm afraid. 

Try not to let the fit bug you.  I remember back when I tried my first AT's with this style headband, they kept sliding down the side of my head.  It was really frustrating because I liked the sound, but completely ruled them out after a short while because the aggravation wasn't worth it.  It was somewhat of a leap of faith when I finally pulled the trigger on these and I couldn't be happier.  I'm sure you'll find as I have, that you really, really, really enjoy them the more they burn in (and form to your head).  

One other easier fix you could try, is simply placing a thick rubber band across the two head-flaps.  This not only keeps them from sliding down, but also may help in drawing the earpieces closer to the side of your head...and thereby alleviate any "bass gaps" you may be experiencing. 

Jun 27, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #2,955 of 3,599
Quote:
I am using the W3000ANV mostly from a vintage Sansui 9090DB receiver, and it sounds great. I don't own any Amp/DAC combos except the RedWineAudio "Audeze Edition" which has only balanced input so I can't use the W3000ANV with that. The 3000ANV also sounds great with the Leben CS300, amp-wise.

Skylab.....I recently purchased a Leben CS 600 and notice a very low hum when using phones. Using it as a power amp I don't notice the hum at all, but I'm accustomed to a headphone amp (EAR HP4) that is dead quiet. Haven't rolled the tubes yet so it is totally stock. I run all my gear through PS Audio Power Plant Premiers. I don't believe I have any grounding issues. Is your CS 300 "dead quiet" listening with the 3000ANV? If memory serves, it puts out about 12 watts of power which, like the CS 600, is quite high for cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back