Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Feb 25, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #721 of 8,051
  I asked somebody on reddit who indicated they got a pair - posted a picture as well - if they were having issues with the connection when moving around, they indicated they've been listening to them for about 4-5 hours now without any such issue. Anything in particular that seems to make the issue more apparent? 

Even if this is the case - I don't like the odds. That's 4/5 testimonials I have seen indicating there may be some sort of QC issue. 

It's mentioned in that thread on reddit that the M1060 does not come with a 1/4" adapter. Did anyone here that received theirs today get a 1/4" adapter? Does the 3.5mm connector have threading for a 1/4" adapter? 

Feb 25, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #722 of 8,051
I asked somebody on reddit who indicated they got a pair - posted a picture as well - if they were having issues with the connection when moving around, they indicated they've been listening to them for about 4-5 hours now without any such issue. Anything in particular that seems to make the issue more apparent? 

Even if this is the case - I don't like the odds. That's 4/5 testimonials I have seen indicating there may be some sort of QC issue. 

I contacted Monoprice about 3-4 hours ago requesting cancellation - no telling if it will go through. It doesn't seem like they have support on Saturday/Sunday, unsure if they package and move products on Saturday/Sunday. If I receive them I will make sure to check for the issue. 

All it takes is for me to spin the connector and it happens

Feb 25, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #723 of 8,051
  Oh wow, that connection does not look secure at all. 
eek.gif

No, it doesn't. It looks like downright crap. Quite worrying actually..

Feb 25, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #724 of 8,051
All it takes is for me to spin the connector and it happens

Okay. I'm reaching out to people on the reddit thread to see if there's anyone else seeing the same issue. I really want these headphones to be amazing and it sounds like the sound is good, but if the build-quality doesn't keep up, the sound doesn't really matter IMO. If Monoprice isn't able to cancel my order, they ship out and have this issue.. they're getting returned. 

Feb 25, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #725 of 8,051
If there's sound cutting out an QA issues, forget it. Doesn't matter how good they sound. And $300 can get you a lot of other options. People make it as if these are a total steal of a deal but $300 is actually not that cheap, especially for what seems to be a headphone lacking in build and quality control issues.

I'm glad I waited.

Feb 25, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #726 of 8,051
It almost feels like the pin receiver isn't tight fitting because I center the connector from the cable (it has a lot of play) and then just spin and it will find a spot that drops signal but is dead center.

Feb 25, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #727 of 8,051
  Any of you early adopters get an M1060 with properly functioning MMCX connectors?  Might be some consolation to us that won't get theirs until next week.

Also in the spirit of glass-half-full - it's exciting to hear some of the positive initial impressions, especially in direct comparison to the LCD-2.  I know we all need more time for the new toy sheen to wear off and for more critical reviews to roll in... but at least no one has yet to completely write them off as monojunk.

I posted the pictures and I guess I was lucky because so far the connectors have given me no issues, although I feel like its a very poor connector and I could see it easily failing at some point in the very near future.

On the positive side, the more I listen to these and compare them to the LCD2s (fazors) the more I feel they are voiced very similarly and the M1060s sound quite good.  Like a slightly brighter and more unpolished version of the LCD2. The bass is similar but perhaps a tad boomier, maybe these just haven't been tuned as well as the LCDs which have been around for a long time.

Of course, the LCD2s have much better build quality.  The connectors and cable alone are 10 times better.

I will post more impressions later as they burn in some more...

Feb 25, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #728 of 8,051
  COMPARISON TO LCD2 IMAGES

I pulled out my LCD2s and took some images side by side.  It is clear Monoprice was trying for similar headphones to the LCD2.

BTW, looking at the pix, the M1060 looks similar to a pre-fazor LCD3 with the 9 slits.  Credit photo from http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/spectacularly-yummy-audeze-lcd-2-and-lcd-3-page-2

Feb 25, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #729 of 8,051
Onkyo also went MMCX on their ES-FC300 / CTI300 models and ebay is constantly swamped with broken connectors, basically the center pin breaks and that's all folks......terrible choice not to go 2.5mm minijack 
rolleyes.gif

Anyway, the big miracle didn't quite occur as it would appear.

Feb 25, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #732 of 8,051
  Onkyo also went MMCX on their ES-FC300 / CTI300 models and ebay is constantly swamped with broken connectors, basically the center pin breaks and that's all folks......terrible choice not to go 2.5mm minijack 
rolleyes.gif

Anyway, the big miracle didn't quite occur as it would appear.

As much as I am warming up to the sound of these I have to say this connector really is a horrible choice for these headphones.  

Obviously, these are not in the same league or price as the LCD2 but I don't think they could have used a worse connector than this.

The M560s which are $100 cheaper have a 3.5mm connector which is a hell of a lot better than this.

Here are some connector comparisons with the LCD2 for reference:

M1060 connector vs LCD connector

(Click on images to enlarge them)

Feb 25, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #733 of 8,051
Mine are coming  in on Tuesday my birthday and sounds like I will be sending them back also. It sure looks like a direct copy LCD-2  and if they would put a better connector they would have had a great headphone. I guess if your willing and able to mod it and put MR. Speakers stytle connector on the phones  they could be great. I just will wait for my Mr. Speakers Aeon end of April. 

Because if you could get a good pair  with good connectors how long will they hold ou? . They have a 5 year warranty . But no fun dealing with returns for repairs and so on. 

Feb 25, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #735 of 8,051
yea I agree now with all of these QC issues with the connectors, I def don't want one now even with the 5 year warranty. I hope in the future they switch to an better connector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back