Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Feb 25, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #752 of 8,051
OH dam that's a nice frequency response. Csd looks a bit less nice.

As far as the connection, yes we all knew, and I was even really excited about a mmcx connection, but they obviously botched the implementation. Failure rate is already at 1% of the first 500 orders within the first day of people getting theirs.

Feb 25, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #754 of 8,051
No issues with my connectors.  Make sure you match the orientation when hooking them up.  

These are Chinese knock off of Audeze headphones.  Not a bad thing for $300!

Measurements:

Sweet! How noticeable is that "ortho wall" and funkiness south of 2k? I'll have a pair by the end next week to measure too.

Feb 25, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #755 of 8,051
OH dam that's a nice frequency response.

Can I ask you to explain why this is a nice frequency response? What makes you come to that conclusion based on just looking at that graph, what's nice about it? I mean, I see the flat bass extending all the way down, but lots of otho's can do that. What else is so nice about it?

Thanks.

Feb 25, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #756 of 8,051
  Calling it in between an LCD-3 and HE-1000 seemed far fetched to me and made his review questionable.

If they are really that good, that would be amazing and Ill eat my words but Im quite doubtful of it.

I've never heard an LCD-3 or HE-1000 but these do sound good and have similarities to the LCD2s which I compared them to side by side.

Maybe the connectors will be replaced in a newer version say the M1060 version 2, or they will recall all of these and change the connectors for free (not likely).

For $300 the sound of these headphones is good, although the build quality could be better and the connectors could be an issue down the road.

I heard the M560s at a meet-up once and I would say these sound much better in all respects and for sure worth $100 more sound quality wise.

Feb 25, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #757 of 8,051
Sweet! How noticeable is that "ortho wall" and funkiness south of 2k? I'll have a pair by the end next week to measure too.

Ortho walls are usually not heard.  They have a direct correlation to impulse response and are affected by internal resonances and reflections.  South of 2k?  It's pretty damn flat minus the slight rise at 1kHz due to pad structure.  I'll bet pad rolling will bring excellent results from this headphone.  

Feb 25, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #758 of 8,051
Can I ask you to explain why this is a nice frequency response? What makes you come to that conclusion based on just looking at that graph, what's nice about it? I mean, I see the flat bass extending all the way down, but lots of otho's can do that. What else is so nice about it?

Thanks.

My bad. Looks nice to me. As in looks like something I'd enjoy. Totally a subjective "it's nice" not objective.

Feb 25, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #759 of 8,051
Another person who received a pair responded to me on Reddit indicating the following:

Nope, mines solid even when being pretty rough with the connector and wiggling it around with music playing. I'm not too thrilled with one of the bottom stops for the headband adjustment, looks misaligned compared to the other side. Contemplating a replacement just for that alone but now that you mentioned connector issues maybe I shouldn't.

I would read the Head-Fi thread but I don't want their impressions to influence my opinion of these.

Feb 25, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #760 of 8,051
  No issues with my connectors.  Make sure you match the orientation when hooking them up.  

These are Chinese knock off of Audeze headphones.  Not a bad thing for $300!

Measurements:

Thanks for positing those measurements.  The measurements look good and I am no expert but to my untrained ears they seem like they are probably right.  

They have a clean bright sound with good planar magnetic type bass.  They have a fun enjoyable sound, to me its definitely not a dark or veiled sound.

Feb 25, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #761 of 8,051
They do have a depressed upper mid/treble.  HD650 and my modded HE-6 are more neutral.  I'm a recording engineer and appreciate a flat response so what sounds right to me might sound dry or boring to others, it's a matter of taste and perspective.  This headphone with different pads can be killer though.  i'll be working on mods for these.

HD650M/HE-6 modded for reference:

Feb 25, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #762 of 8,051
  They do have a depressed upper mid/treble.  HD650 and my modded HE-6 are more neutral.  I'm a recording engineer and appreciate a flat response so what sounds right to me might sound dry or boring to others, it's a matter of taste and perspective.  This headphone with different pads can be killer though.  i'll be working on mods for these.

HD650M/HE-6 modded for reference:

Interesting you say that they are depressed in the mid's and treble when early reports are about them being bright.  How do you like them compared to the 650's? I have 6xx's (unmodded) and am debating what to do.

Feb 25, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #763 of 8,051
They're bright because of the uneven frequency reponse after 2kHz.  There's a peak at ~4.5kHz and another at ~10kHz.  But in between the frequency response drops too low and things sound kind of muffled as a result.  The frequency response also has a rise after 10kHz which can add air but also tizz to things like cymbols and electronic percusion.  Think of their sound as slightly V shaped but without midbass bloat.

Feb 25, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #764 of 8,051
  They're bright because of the uneven frequency reponse after 2kHz.  There's a peak at ~4.5kHz and another at ~10kHz.  But in between the frequency response drops too low and things sound kind of muffled as a result.  The frequency response also has a rise after 10kHz which can add air but also tizz to things like cymbols and electronic percusion.  Think of their sound as slightly V shaped but without midbass bloat.

So you think new pads would solve the problem? Or would it need to be EQ'd out? Once you start putting new pads on it and such the cost starts to get close to lower LCD-2 territory..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back