Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Feb 25, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #691 of 8,051

I agree.  I posted my initial impressions but the headphones need some time to burn in and then we can make better comparisons.

In fact, once I compared them side by side with the LCD2s my impressions of the sound quality (in particular the bass) became more favorable of them. 

Agreed, first impressions are great, but burn-in is what I'm interested in.

If you go back and read this thread from the beginning, some M560 lukewarm and bad reviews were from people who flat-out refused to burn them in. Maybe you don't believe in burn-in, but I do! Those reviews I just dismissed.

That being said, the lone review on Monoprice's site claims the sound either didn't change much or at all after a week, and I think I believe him. Some headphones benefit from burn-in, some don't *shrug*. But we shall see.

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #692 of 8,051
If anyone has the opportunity to compare these to the Hifiman 400i  I'd appreciate it. If they appear to be a clear upgrade, I'll probably get them. (Coincidentally, $300 is what I paid for the 400i.) I really have to wait a couple of weeks before buying, so I'll have a chance to hear a lot of opinions after they are burned in. On the negative side, they'll likely be out of stock by then, so I'll have to wait.

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #693 of 8,051
  Agreed, first impressions are great, but burn-in is what I'm interested in.

If you go back and read this thread from the beginning, some M560 lukewarm and bad reviews were from people who flat-out refused to burn them in. Maybe you don't believe in burn-in, but I do! Those reviews I just dismissed.

That being said, the lone review on Monoprice's site claims the sound either didn't change much or at all after a week, and I think I believe him. Some headphones benefit from burn-in, some don't *shrug*. But we shall see.

I bought the M560's when they were first released. Out of the box they were pretty bad. I did post more impressions after burn-in for around 100hrs I think. They definitely got better, but still sound pretty bad to me, just not as terrible as they did out of the box. I missed the return window, but figured I could have them at my booth for meets and shows just so people can hear them if they want.
-Darin

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #699 of 8,051
Kind of weird how monoprice used such a small connector on such large headphones.

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #700 of 8,051
I ordered these yesterday and they don't appear to have shipped yet from Monoprice ebay. These talks of the headphones cutting out and the non-removable earpads is making me think about ditching? Thoughts? I'm pretty much a perfectionist. I will not be able to cope with $310 pair of headphones cutting-out. 

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #702 of 8,051
  I ordered these yesterday and they don't appear to have shipped yet from Monoprice ebay. These talks of the headphones cutting out and the non-removable earpads is making me think about ditching? Thoughts? I'm pretty much a perfectionist. I will not be able to cope with $310 pair of headphones cutting-out. 

Thankfully Monoprice does have a fair return policy.  I'm sure most of us are hoping we'll get lucky and the issue won't plague us. 

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #703 of 8,051
  The left connector issue seems to be a connection issue with the cup, not the cable. 

I swapped the sides of the cable just to mess with it, and the left is still the one cutting out.

that doesn't sound good ,Monoprice has a lot of QC issues and for a $300 headphones it's unacceptable.
hope it's just a few of them has this issue,if not ,probably they will pull these off from their website soon.
that's not a good start.

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #705 of 8,051
Oh wow, that connection does not look secure at all. 
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back