Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Feb 25, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #706 of 8,051

Thankfully Monoprice does have a fair return policy.  I'm sure most of us are hoping we'll get lucky and the issue won't plague us. 

I've contacted them requesting a cancellation for now. It does say on Ebay it's too late to request a cancellation, but they haven't shipped, so unless they're packaged up and ready to go, I might have a chance. 

I can safely state right now that if one of the connectors causes an ear to cut out with movement, they will be getting sent back. 

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #707 of 8,051
Why would they go for that connector when they have that awesome setup on the 560...

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #708 of 8,051
Wow, I assumed they were screw-on connectors. Do they simply sit there with magnetic connection? It sounds like a good idea in theory but those connectors are awfully small for headphones of this size. 

Quote:
  Here are some close ups of the connector:

Why would they go for that connector when they have that awesome setup on the 560...

Right? The 560 is $100 less so I would have assumed the quality on the 1060 would be top notch as well. Maybe they put a lot of the money into the drivers and wood on the 1060 and skimped on the rest? 

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #709 of 8,051
I ordered these yesterday and they don't appear to have shipped yet from Monoprice ebay. These talks of the headphones cutting out and the non-removable earpads is making me think about ditching? Thoughts? I'm pretty much a perfectionist. I will not be able to cope with $310 pair of headphones cutting-out. 

Mine says it won't ship til Monday, I'm waiting to hear some thoughts after burn in.

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #710 of 8,051
Thank you guys for the pics !:)

This thread is going to take off like crazy from today.
popcorn.gif

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #712 of 8,051
Seems plenty room to replace that connector with mrspeakers or 3.5mm standard connector. Not a fan of mmcx

Seems like a lot of effort for a $300 headphone.

I have to imagine once you mod that, then swap the cable you're in at least $400 and now without a warranty. 

May as well just pony up and get a pair of LCD-2's, they're around $500 now.

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #713 of 8,051
Seems plenty room to replace that connector with mrspeakers or 3.5mm standard connector. Not a fan of mmcx

Yes I guess these are called mmcx connectors, I had never seen them before.  They don't seem all that secure.

And yes these headphones probably would be a good modders project, unless Monoprice changes this initial design.

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #715 of 8,051
Thanks for the initial impressions. Mine won't be delivered until Wednesday. It's a little disheartening to hear the left connector issue though. I wouldn't expect build quality to be on par with something 3x the price but it looks decent. I imagine the driver took the bulk of the cost and build quality took a back seat. 

I love open backs, but the lady doesn't. :) So if this turns out to be a lemon, I don't mind returning it either, especially since I'm working on my open alphas today.

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #716 of 8,051
M1060 driver VS LCD2(fazor) driver

One other observation I just made is that the driver for the M1060 has the identical screw hole locations as the one for the LCD2.

One difference in the images is that the LCD2 picture has what I assume is the fazor panel cover.  So beneath that they might be identical.

It is possible these are the same or certainly very similar OEM 106mm drivers.

Check out the screw hole locations in these two pictures:

If any one has any more insight into this, please chime in...

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #717 of 8,051

mmcx was a poor choice for a headphone, mmcx is typically for IEM's......Shure/Westone!  First time mmcx has been used for headphones, big mistake for Monoprice!

Expect a lot of fairlures and returns!

Not the first I'm afraid.  Shure uses them on their full size headphones.  

Feb 25, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #719 of 8,051
I asked somebody on reddit who indicated they got a pair - posted a picture as well - if they were having issues with the connection when moving around, they indicated they've been listening to them for about 4-5 hours now without any such issue. Anything in particular that seems to make the issue more apparent? 

Even if this is the case - I don't like the odds. That's 4/5 testimonials I have seen indicating there may be some sort of QC issue. 

I contacted Monoprice about 3-4 hours ago requesting cancellation - no telling if it will go through. It doesn't seem like they have support on Saturday/Sunday, unsure if they package and move products on Saturday/Sunday. If I receive them I will make sure to check for the issue. 

Feb 25, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #720 of 8,051
Any of you early adopters get an M1060 with properly functioning MMCX connectors?  Might be some consolation to us that won't get theirs until next week.

Also in the spirit of glass-half-full - it's exciting to hear some of the positive initial impressions, especially in direct comparison to the LCD-2.  I know we all need more time for the new toy sheen to wear off and for more critical reviews to roll in... but at least no one has yet to completely write them off as monojunk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back