Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Feb 20, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #241 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This can be source dependent too. What source are you using and which tubes in the MKIII? Ow, and what "Gain" settings are you using on the MKIII?
smily_headphones1.gif

I didn't think about that, source is a beresford (knob at 4/5), tubes now I have the M8100 (but when I was testing it I was using the stock ones so I don't know if the situation improved with the mullard).

Gain setting I tried the 300ohm and the middle setting (can't remember which one).

Hopefully today I'll be able to test it a little bit more with the m8100.

Feb 20, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #242 of 3,408
Is there any K701 user here?
What tubes configurations do you prefer for K701?

Feb 20, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #243 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any K701 user here?
What tubes configurations do you prefer for K701?

I've had my K701's for a few weeks now. What I said in my tube shoot-out using old Sextetts still holds true with the 701's. When the new phones were breaking in, I went back to the Mullards for a while, but their bit of added fuzz had me return to the Amperex.

More tubes are coming so this is by no means the last word!

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/3727761-post76.html

E

Feb 20, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #244 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilgello /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't think about that, source is a beresford (knob at 4/5), tubes now I have the M8100 (but when I was testing it I was using the stock ones so I don't know if the situation improved with the mullard).

Gain setting I tried the 300ohm and the middle setting (can't remember which one).

Hopefully today I'll be able to test it a little bit more with the m8100.

Ok, that may be what's up. Check the "gain" setting and make sure you have it on the highest setting (10). I'm not sure that you'll need to run up the Beresford higher, but I guess after the gain check, that would be next.
Let us know how this goes!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #245 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, that may be what's up. Check the "gain" setting and make sure you have it on the highest setting (10). I'm not sure that you'll need to run up the Beresford higher, but I guess after the gain check, that would be next.
Let us know how this goes!!
smily_headphones1.gif

I went back to the 10 setting (since I don't think I'll try the grado again), but I think what I was mistaking is that I was using the variable line out of the beresford instead of the fixed one, now is much better. The classic compilations my father mastered me have an incredibly low volume but now at max knob I have a decent listening
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #247 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,

I'd like to know what would be the best choice between the Tung-Sol 403B or the Amperex 5654 for Prog-Metal with my DT880s ? (I currently have the stock tubes and the Mullard M8161.)

Thanks

I like the Tung-Sol 403B a LOT, actually. I just got a pair from ebay and burning them in as I type this, initial impression is that they're got a very 'solid' sound with lots of control and composure. Very happy with these.
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #248 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the Tung-Sol 403B a LOT, actually. I just got a pair from ebay and burning them in as I type this, initial impression is that they're got a very 'solid' sound with lots of control and composure. Very happy with these.
biggrin.gif

Thanks, my first choice was the Tung-Sol 403B
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers

Feb 21, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #249 of 3,408
This might be a silly question, but does anyone know of any magic eye tubes that are compatible with the MKIII?

Feb 22, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #251 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethebull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody here familiar with these? I'm NOT going to fork out two C-notes for them here, but if I "stumbled across a pair"... I be very curious if anyone has tried them in a LD of any level, or similar amp.

6H30P-DR Supertube

Man, those look serious! I'll get killed if I order a set!
biggrin.gif
The would have to make a big difference over the gold ones for me to be willing?
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #252 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

x2!!! I also got a pair from ebay that I am burning in and these are excellent tubes!! They are the tubes with the National brand on them.

Feb 23, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #253 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethebull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody here familiar with these? I'm NOT going to fork out two C-notes for them here, but if I "stumbled across a pair"... I be very curious if anyone has tried them in a LD of any level, or similar amp.

6H30P-DR Supertube

Are those bad boys compatible with the 6N6 tubes in the MKIII?
Along the same lines, I saw that the 6N6PI can be used as a substitute for E182CC and ECC-99. Does that also mean I could use ECC-99 and E182CC in the MKIII? Sorry if these questions are ridiculous, I know next to nothing about tubes. So many kinds!!!

Feb 23, 2008 at 12:21 PM Post #254 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Along the same lines, I saw that the 6N6PI can be used as a substitute for E182CC and ECC-99. Does that also mean I could use ECC-99 and E182CC in the MKIII? Sorry if these questions are ridiculous, I know next to nothing about tubes. So many kinds!!!

From the on-line MkIII reference manual:

Power Tube-Rolling
The higher quality 6H30EB used in the normal version of the Little Dot MK IV, and the 6H30PI used in the
Little Dot MK IV SE are all compatible with the 6H6PI used in the Little Dot MK III. Hence, compatible tubes
(and their equivalents) include:
• 6N6 (i.e. MK II default power tube)
• 6H6PI (i.e. MK III default power tube)
• 6H30EB (i.e. MK IV default power tube)
• 6H30PI (i.e. MK IV SE default power tube)
• 6H30P-DR
Note: While you can use the 6H30EB/6H30PI/6H30P-DR tubes in the MK II and MK III, you cannot use the
6N6/6H6PI power tubes in the Little Dot MK IV and Little Dot MK IV SE.

Feb 23, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #255 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also, to help clarify, you can't use the E182CC or 5687's with MKII,MKIII.
The eBay listers are not correct and several of us have reminded them of this, but they do not change their listings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back