Quote:

Originally Posted by ethebull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A couple more shots

Bravo!
biggrin.gif
You sir, are a steely eyed missile man!
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #215 of 3,408
Hey guys! Here's an update on my tube rolling experience!

Work has been killing me lately (I'm a tax accountant) but since I got my MKIII for Christmas I have been purchasing numerous tubes and finally have enough burn in hours on them to pass judgement on what I consider to be my favorites so far!

In the EF95 family - The Amperex 5654's are my fav's by a pretty good margin. Simply excellent tubes!!

In the EF92 family - Without a doubt the Mullard M8161's!!!! Outstanding tubes that sound silky smooth and leave you with a big smile on your face!!

That's it! I've bought and tried other tubes from the various families and the two above tubes are my favorites!

Get em' and enjoy em' !!!!!!

Feb 18, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #216 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethebull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like it'll do. Copper pipe cap drilled for wires. Assembly held together with a fine threaded machine screw

Now that, Mr. Bull, is truly a beautiful thing!

Should that mug o' ale be in such close proximity to the electronic work? But more importantly....what's your flavor?!
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #217 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerB /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Work has been killing me lately (I'm a tax accountant) but since I got my MKIII for Christmas I have been purchasing numerous tubes and finally have enough burn in hours on them to pass judgement on what I consider to be my favorites so far!

In the EF95 family - The Amperex 5654's are my fav's by a pretty good margin. Simply excellent tubes!!

In the EF92 family - Without a doubt the Mullard M8161's!!!! Outstanding tubes that sound silky smooth and leave you with a big smile on your face!!

That's it! I've bought and tried other tubes from the various families and the two above tubes are my favorites!

Hi Roger!
I knew those M8161's would rock your world! I'm going to have to try those Amperex 5654s. I keep putting off picking up a set, so now I'll just have too.
smily_headphones1.gif
Now your MKIII seems like a MK3000.
smily_headphones1.gif
Enjoy the tunes!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #218 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerB /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for the update, Roger!

I'm going to have to get on with my tube rolling comparisons. I have National 403B's, Joint Gov't 5654's, & the M8161's in addition to the stocks. I burnt the stocks in, gave a quick listen to the 403B's & 5654's, then....put in the M8161's, where they've burned in & stayed in ever since! Hmmm, can't really make any comparisons yet until I give the others a fair chance of burn in. The other side of it too, sadly enough, is that I've been too lazy to be taking the jumpers on & off with the "not-so-needley" needle-nosed pliers I have. I had a minor case of springing & flinging the jumpers thru the housing during my 1st attempts. Am I the only one of us to find myself "gently" shaking the amp around to get those li'l bastards out the underside holes??? (You can at least picture my pain though, right?). What tricks do you guys have, other than dismantling the housing...or the too simple route of buying some better tools (that would be too easy!)?

Feb 18, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #219 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Roger!
I knew those M8161's would rock your world! I'm going to have to try those Amperex 5654s. I keep putting off picking up a set, so now I'll just have too.
smily_headphones1.gif
Now your MKIII seems like a MK3000.
smily_headphones1.gif
Enjoy the tunes!
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe it's the fact that I don't have the Amperex's to inspire me to take those M8161's out!

Feb 18, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #220 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by dantztiludrop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that, Mr. Bull, is truly a beautiful thing!

Should that mug o' ale be in such close proximity to the electronic work? But more importantly....what's your flavor?!
biggrin.gif

LOL!!

Thanks to all for your appreciative comments. It's a goodly pain in the @ss to make these, but I will post a thorough step by step breakdown for those interested in doin their own.

I used to be a home brewer as well. After a good 100+ batches, I moved on to other hobbies. Today's "tube adapter calibration ale" is "Eye of the Hawk" from Mendocino Brewing Co. from, oddly enough, Saratoga Springs NY - (home of Serotta cycles!)

Feb 18, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #223 of 3,408
Feb 19, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #225 of 3,408

Users who are viewing this thread

Back