Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Feb 10, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #181 of 3,408
It's funny you brought those tubes up when you did. I just happen to be listening to them in my MKII, with HD-650s plopped on my head. Rush, "New World Man" playing from the Zune80. I was thinking about Neil Peart's use of the high-hat. It is so clear and detailed with these tubes! The man is the wizard of percussion, for sure!

Feb 10, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #182 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using these Russian NOS 6Zh1P-EV EF95 compatible driver tubes for about 150 hours now. I'll share what I know about them. All my impressions have been using the Little-Dot MKII tube amplifier:

First, they have a unique design. There are three molded indentations running down the length of the outside diameter of the tubes. This suggests they were "secured" tight in whatever original use they had. This also suggests they are extremely rugged for that same original use. I wouldn't be surprised if they were made for military aircraft use.

Second, they took less than 40 hours to mature. I'm not sure if this is due to their heavy duty construction, or close tolerances (higher quality) internally. My guess would be the higher quality.

Third, they have become my favorite EF95 tubes, for all types of music. They have no noise, excellent control over all frequencies, present an amazing amount of dynamics and a sound stage that is more than pleasing. Using the best sources I have, these tubes really show their stuff, while maintaining some of that "tube" warmth we all expect.

Forth, I would have to say these little wonders are directly competing with the better EF92 tubes. The frequency response is surprisingly flat, highs are extended and clear, and the lows are just fantastic! Plenty of clean punch, while showing the ability to reproduce those bass ranges where bass guitars and synthesizers like to play.

Fifth, the cost is so low for this kind of performance, everyone should get a set before demand raises the prices. I have no idea if these tubes are stock piled, but they are showing up more frequently on eBay. For the MKII, these little gems have become my new standard of performance for EF95 tubes. I hope everyone who has a MKII or MKIII, will acquire a set. They are just too nice to pass on.
smily_headphones1.gif

For as much as I wanted to take my time and let the amp ample burn-in time before starting to roll-lamp, and as much as I like what I listen currently coming from the MKIII with 26 hours of use, I did buy a 4 set of these tubes!
cool.gif

Let the good time roll...

regards,

Feb 10, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #183 of 3,408
I got some too (I got a bit carried away this weekend actually, have bought various valves - EF91 & EF92 as well - and I've barely warmed my stock tubes up yet!).

As there are 8 in this particular set, there will be a combination of 4 pairs that are a better match than otherwise. Is it worth trying to find a place could do that for me (as I don't have a clue or the equipment).

Cheers all. I will try and post some comments on the different valves once I have received them, but I'm a complete noobie at this sort of thing...

Feb 10, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #184 of 3,408
No worries! By the time they arrive, you guys will have plenty of hours on your amps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #187 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaunty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see Little Dot have said to Penchum over on their site that they will look into if an adapter for the power tubes is possible
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethebull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's all my fault (
redface.gif
)

Here's the link:

Viewing a thread - Modify MK3 to use 5687 tube?

I'd rather buy'em than make'em

It's a good thing! Maybe Sword will whip us up some!! That would be great!

Feb 11, 2008 at 10:28 AM Post #188 of 3,408
Quote:

It's a good thing! Maybe Sword will whip us up some!! That would be great!

Im so glad that my two cents worth into the idea may come to reality. My soldering iron is ready too. This would open up so much more options
biggrin.gif
. Teflon or PTFE would be the ideal material to use (and my work has a truck load of them for jig making, now if only the engineer's will let me loose on the CAD & CNC
tongue.gif
Like a PCB by having layers for the original pin out up to another layer to the 5687 pinout. but I think LD is ahead already. This little thing will sell like hotcakes if it happens!!! Hey ethebull & Penchum, wonder if we can give it a name
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #189 of 3,408
I have so many tubes on their way to me from around the world I'll have to buy another Little Dot amp I think
smily_headphones1.gif

Took a chance on these Brimars, the seller had 2 of them

EF92 CVX4015 9D6 BRIMAR PROTOTYPE VALVE TUBE NEW 1PC FB on eBay, also Valves Electronic Tubes, Audio, Vintage Electronics, Consumer Electronics (end time 11-Feb-08 02:39:30 GMT)

Also got some (unmatched) Mullard M8161s at a fair price. The vendor posts worldwide as far as I know but they don't take PayPal which might be awkward for you non-UKers.

Feb 11, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #190 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by headcheck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im so glad that my two cents worth into the idea may come to reality. My soldering iron is ready too. This would open up so much more options
biggrin.gif
. Teflon or PTFE would be the ideal material to use (and my work has a truck load of them for jig making, now if only the engineer's will let me loose on the CAD & CNC
tongue.gif
Like a PCB by having layers for the original pin out up to another layer to the 5687 pinout. but I think LD is ahead already. This little thing will sell like hotcakes if it happens!!! Hey ethebull & Penchum, wonder if we can give it a name
biggrin.gif

I'm glad you are keeping options open. There is always two sides to this kind of thing. One is the inexpensive adapter that will sell like mad, and the other is a super quality no cost spared adapter, that the top 20% of users will buy because they look wonderful. Me, I sit on the fence waiting to see both, probably would buy both if the high-end adapter was "special".
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #191 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaunty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have so many tubes on their way to me from around the world I'll have to buy another Little Dot amp I think
smily_headphones1.gif

Took a chance on these Brimars, the seller had 2 of them

EF92 CVX4015 9D6 BRIMAR PROTOTYPE VALVE TUBE NEW 1PC FB on eBay, also Valves Electronic Tubes, Audio, Vintage Electronics, Consumer Electronics (end time 11-Feb-08 02:39:30 GMT)

Also got some (unmatched) Mullard M8161s at a fair price. The vendor posts worldwide as far as I know but they don't take PayPal which might be awkward for you non-UKers.

I have a set of the NOS Brimars, super mellow and laid back. A unique sound for sure. You will love the M8161's! One of the best sounding tubes anywhere!
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #192 of 3,408
Check-out this page:

Leeds Radio - tubes sockets

near the bottom, they list the following:

9 pin minature plug fits sockets for ECC-83, 12AX7
good for making tube adapters and test jigs (rfe)$4.50

They also have 9 pin sockets of various quality and design. I sent them an inquiry explaining my interest in making a DIY tube adapter. Updates will be posted here.

Feb 11, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #193 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It should be possible, the specs on the power tubes (6N6Pi and 5687) are close enough that they can be considered identical tubes with different pin outs. The temperature isn't really an issue being that the components inside the amp are rated to 85 degrees C while the plastics used in tube sockets and tube dampeners are usually rated to at least 250F (or 120C).

Anyway, here's a rewiring diagram for those who want to build an adepter:

2243018726_f444a23872_o.jpg

^Credit: SwordYang of LD

Ok, maybe a dumb question, but are we looking at the pin config from above or below here?

Feb 11, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #194 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethebull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check-out this page:

Leeds Radio - tubes sockets

near the bottom, they list the following:

9 pin minature plug fits sockets for ECC-83, 12AX7
good for making tube adapters and test jigs (rfe)$4.50

They also have 9 pin sockets of various quality and design. I sent them an inquiry explaining my interest in making a DIY tube adapter. Updates will be posted here.

Excellent find!! You going to acquire some?
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #195 of 3,408
Quote:

Excellent find!! You going to acquire some?
smily_headphones1.gif

Soon I think. I asked them this:

I believe the second one listed is the right size?

I would then need two tube sockets that would provide the easiest base/specs to fashion the adapter which would not be mounted to a chassis, but with the best design to secure it solidly to the socket with space to wire the pin reconfiguration.

I'll call them if I don't hear back. Probably order some sockets and plugs regardless. Almost there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back