KODA^2 - König's Ortho Dynamic Acrylic Headphones
Dec 9, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #61 of 203
Before you start making too many, you have to get another head-fier's opinion on these (pass around a pair for free/put it up for sale). I dig that Australian Walnut and Macassar Ebony look.

Dec 9, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #62 of 203
Those are my favourites too.

I am making 4 headphones right now and two of them is for testing only and two is for sale.

One of the test pairs is going straight to Tyll at Innerfidelity for testing. The other is for myself and lending out to get impressions. I am hoping some here on head-fi will buy the last pair for sale to get some impressions here.

Quote:
Before you start making too many, you have to get another head-fier's opinion on these (pass around a pair for free/put it up for sale). I dig that Australian Walnut and Macassar Ebony look.

Dec 10, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #63 of 203
Keep up the awesome work! I'm hoping I'll get a chance to hear these at some point. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm still diggin' that 3mm wool felt on the back of the drivers, by the way!

Dec 11, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #64 of 203

Australien Walnut - first finished cups. 

Matte polished with veneer almost completely polished away for a burned look. Then it is treated with bee wax. The polishing of the parts is a tiresome process and I have used almost 6 hours doing so. 

I really love the look of the matte polished acrylics with bee wax. It feels fantastic too. 

Dec 11, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #65 of 203

Quote:
Keep up the awesome work! I'm hoping I'll get a chance to hear these at some point. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm still diggin' that 3mm wool felt on the back of the drivers, by the way!

Thanks - good to hear. I might need you for returning that review headphone at some point :)

Dec 11, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #66 of 203

Quote:

Australien Walnut - first finished cups. 

Matte polished with veneer almost completely polished away for a burned look. Then it is treated with bee wax. The polishing of the parts is a tiresome process and I have used almost 6 hours doing so. 

I really love the look of the matte polished acrylics with bee wax. It feels fantastic too. 

How much are you selling your kits for specifically the 3rd picture?

Dec 11, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #67 of 203

Quote:
How much are you selling your kits for specifically the 3rd picture?

I haven't decided to sell kit's yet - but it would be somewhere around $400 for a kit. I don't think I will be selling the matte polished model - it's just too time consuming to make and it would be much too expensive. I don't mind sharing how to convert the standard cups to matte polished though. It's as easy as rubbing it with medium and then fine sandpaper and applying some wax in the end - very easy, but it took me 6 hours :frowning2:

Dec 11, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #68 of 203

Much smaller ball joints - I had to do some drilling to get the aluminium rods to fit. The result is a much lower weight and nicer and more balanced look.

Baffles with the T50rp driver and flet hole damping. Notice the silicone gaskets.

The finished cups - the 4th one in ebony is missing, it's sold to a danish guyt and I am applying the last coat of varnish. The ones in the middle in the nice Australien walnut is still for sale. The matte one is my own and the nearest one is for reviewing and testing. It's going to be sent to Tyll in just three days

Dec 11, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #69 of 203
Quote:

Are you using a different type of felt in this picture, or is it similar to what you were using previously? And what is it that I see beneath the felt...the original paper on the back of the drivers, maybe?

Dec 12, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #70 of 203

Quote:
Quote:

Are you using a different type of felt in this picture, or is it similar to what you were using previously? And what is it that I see beneath the felt...the original paper on the back of the drivers, maybe?

The felt is the same type and thickness. It's just dyed black opposed to the undyed and organic one used before. Same density too.

The white you see behind the felt is the double adhesive tape.

Dec 12, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #71 of 203
Quote:
The felt is the same type and thickness. It's just dyed black opposed to the undyed and organic one used before. Same density too.

The white you see behind the felt is the double adhesive tape.

I see. Is that covering the back of the drivers at all?

Dec 12, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #73 of 203

The last cups is finished - It's the second from left, ebony.

Internal dampening felt. The nuts will be covered with a reflex dot made in hard felt

Reflex dots. The felt with hole over the driver makes sure the bass is deep and the reflex dot lifts the treble a notch. 
My hearing says it's working beautifully - guess it's soon time for sending a sample to Tyll for testing to see if it is so.

Dec 13, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #74 of 203
I'll be testing the reflex dots today - if it good I'll keep it, if not, it's going to be replaced by a thin patch of soft felt - closer to the original design. It was sort of a last minute idea, that's also why the reflex dots are hand cut.

Dec 13, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #75 of 203

Closing the first cup - embedded screws and matte rough surface. 

Finally the first finished KODA^2 - IMHO it's much nicer looking than the prototype and almost 100 grams lighter. 
Very nice wiring, Neutrik plug and they are so comfortable. 

I'll get back tomorrow with some better pictures (this is from my mobile) and sound impressions - but I can reveal that the bass and treble is extended even farther with the small optimizations. Very positive initial impressions I must say!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back