KODA^2 - König's Ortho Dynamic Acrylic Headphones
Dec 4, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #46 of 203
Fantastic DIY. :)

Subscribed.

Dec 4, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #47 of 203
Thunder pants eat your heart out...... I think Ima have to invest in the t50rp's soon and try out a few mods. This is great work. Maybe I'm just thick or tired but I didn't see any mention of dampening the cups, Did you add dampening to the cans aside from just the back of the driver?

Dec 4, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #48 of 203
Quote:
I found that my original bass port size needed a lot of tweaking to hit the exact sport where the oomph was deep while remaining tight, fast and well controlled. After changing the size with various tubes about 20 times – I found just the right size.
The cups has been dampened over and over again until I found just the right well balanced sound signature, with just a tad to the warm side.  The driver ended up being stripped of the mesh on the ear side and fiberglass of the cup side, making the highs shine even more with a beautiful vivid soundstage. I found the hard craft felt to be terrible harsh to the ears in the high notes, so after a lot of experimentation with materials of different sorts, I ended up with 3 mm 100% wool felt, with a square hole in the middle. The square hole extends the bass and soundstage and makes driver “breathe” better. Without it, the sound is a bit muffled up. The back side of the cups was covered with 3 mm felt, but I found that felt with holes made for at bit bigger cup and a bit more airy sound. The treble was extended a bit by using craft felt behind the holes. And finally I was satisfied with the sound signature.
Pads

Good call on that 3mm felt with the hole in the middle! I just happened to have some 3mm felt that looks very similar (75% wool, 25% fiber). I tried in on my modded T50RPs (mostly identical to the latest version of the RP2 mods with 840 pads), and I really like how it sounds. Previously, I had tried completely naked drivers on the back and naked but with a reflex dot in the center. I preferred the completely naked driver...gave it more bass and less harsh sounding highs. The reflex dot did help even out some frequencies, but I felt it the completely naked drivers were a better compromise between more bass and slightly better mids/highs. Of course, perhaps my brain simply tricked me into thinking the bass was better without the reflex dot. Who knows?

Anyway, the point I'm going for here is that the felt in this configuration still has most, if not all, of that bass you'll get from naked drivers but with slightly less bloat and much less of a need to tune the vents in the cups. It also seems to have a more coherent sound than having the drivers completely naked. Mids and highs are better overall. I'm not going to get into very many details here. It simply sounds great!

Not going 

Dec 4, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #49 of 203
That is simply an impeccable looking build.  Very impressive.

Dec 4, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #50 of 203

Quote:
Thunder pants eat your heart out...... I think Ima have to invest in the t50rp's soon and try out a few mods. This is great work. Maybe I'm just thick or tired but I didn't see any mention of dampening the cups, Did you add dampening to the cans aside from just the back of the driver?

From what I understood the material he made the cups out of is the dampening material. It doesn't look like theres too much room in there when the cup is attached to the baffle. I could be wrong though. 

Edit: nvm it does look like there something in there and he said he tried various dampening methods so idk what he did.

Dec 5, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #51 of 203
There is dampening in there - mostly to kill ekko of the high notes. I use 3 mm felt that is less dense on the one side (done with scratching up the surface) 

Dec 5, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #52 of 203

Quote:
Quote:

Good call on that 3mm felt with the hole in the middle! I just happened to have some 3mm felt that looks very similar (75% wool, 25% fiber). I tried in on my modded T50RPs (mostly identical to the latest version of the RP2 mods with 840 pads), and I really like how it sounds. Previously, I had tried completely naked drivers on the back and naked but with a reflex dot in the center. I preferred the completely naked driver...gave it more bass and less harsh sounding highs. The reflex dot did help even out some frequencies, but I felt it the completely naked drivers were a better compromise between more bass and slightly better mids/highs. Of course, perhaps my brain simply tricked me into thinking the bass was better without the reflex dot. Who knows?

Anyway, the point I'm going for here is that the felt in this configuration still has most, if not all, of that bass you'll get from naked drivers but with slightly less bloat and much less of a need to tune the vents in the cups. It also seems to have a more coherent sound than having the drivers completely naked. Mids and highs are better overall. I'm not going to get into very many details here. It simply sounds great!

Not going 

That is just a perfect description on my own experience with it! Really nice to get some soft of confirmation on my own experience with this technique - or knowing there is at least one with similar ears out there.

Dec 8, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #54 of 203

Production of the 4 KODA^2 units have begun!

I got all the parts and I have started making the first 4 units. Here is a picture:

This is only for two sets - I am making 4 headphones in this round.

Three types of very fine veneer - not even varnished yet!:

Walnut burr, Australian Walnut and Macassar Ebony (no varnish yet).

Btw. only one of them is for sale now. :)

Dec 8, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #55 of 203
i like the screws the most.

Dec 8, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #57 of 203

Users who are viewing this thread

Back