iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Apr 17, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #4,876 of 13,503
After finally getting the internal memory filled with all of my FLAC files, formatted so that they play in order, and album art tagged, I decided to move onto my 32GB microSD card...FAIL.  Same problem many were having as the DX100 internal memory mirrors the SDCARD and the internal cannot be accessed.  After removal of the card most of my album art does not show up.  I'll have to try implement the fix I believe was discussed earlier in the thread.

With every victory comes a small defeat...

This really is the best Digital Audio Puzzle money can buy.

Apr 17, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #4,877 of 13,503
...If only Ibasso would at least sort based on filename, that would mean something. I also have a batch job set up to export the embedded artwork to folder.jpg and cover.jpg. If only Ibasso supported having artwork in the same folder as the music files, that would mean something.

I stand (well sit if I'm honest) corrected. I've found a directory of tracks that will not behave. Seems to ignore tags, filename, and I even reordered the FAT32 lookup table - no joy.

Apr 17, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #4,879 of 13,503
After finally getting the internal memory filled with all of my FLAC files, formatted so that they play in order, and album art tagged, I decided to move onto my 32GB microSD card...FAIL.  Same problem many were having as the DX100 internal memory mirrors the SDCARD and the internal cannot be accessed.  After removal of the card most of my album art does not show up.  I'll have to try implement the fix I believe was discussed earlier in the thread.

With every victory comes a small defeat...

This really is the best Digital Audio Puzzle money can buy.

This has been reported many times. Solution is to NOT place your music files in the internal sdcard folder. That is reserved by the Android system for the external sd card and cannot be renamed.

Make a new folder called Music, or anything else you wish to name it. Place all of your internal music in this folder and reboot. All of your music will be then be presented properly in both internal and external memory.

Apr 17, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #4,880 of 13,503
Got it, thanks for the quick refresh

beerchug.gif

Quote:
This has been reported many times. Solution is to NOT place your music files in the internal sdcard folder. That is reserved by the Android system for the external sd card and cannot be renamed.
Make a new folder called Music, or anything else you wish to name it. Place all of your internal music in this folder and reboot. All of your music will be then be presented properly in both internal and external memory.

Apr 17, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #4,882 of 13,503
Only if they were written to allow running from the SD card, it's a common thing on newer apps, not-so-much on old ones as its a feature for Android 2.3 and newer

Quote:
Can the apps stay in that folder called sd card and still work when an sd card is inserted?

Apr 17, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #4,883 of 13,503

Quote:

I'm wondering if that is why the other headfier was claiming his unit was defective? Sounds awfully familar?

Apr 17, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #4,886 of 13,503
I think that the cause of all these miseries is the lack of a manual. :smile:

The manual with screenshots was due out some time back, but iBasso was overrun trying to get out all of the pre-orders and recalled DX100's. The next priority is to release the new firmware, hopefully next week, then the manual should be next on the priority list. We need to keep in mind that iBasso still has to build, test and deliver all of their other products as well as the DX100 and they are a very small company!

There is no doubt that a manual would have addressed lots of questions from users, especially those who have not previously used an Android device.

Apr 17, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #4,887 of 13,503

Quote:
The manual with screenshots was due out some time back, but iBasso was overrun trying to get out all of the pre-orders and recalled DX100's. The next priority is to release the new firmware, hopefully next week, then the manual should be next on the priority list. We need to keep in mind that iBasso still has to build, test and deliver all of their other products as well as the DX100 and they are a very small company!
There is no doubt that a manual would have addressed lots of questions from users, especially those who have not previously used an Android device.

Or...they're collecting the idiosyncrasies found here as content for the manual. And I'm not entirely jesting here about this.

Apr 17, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #4,888 of 13,503
I don't think I would need the manual but it will be a great help to many others. Maybe by the time they compiled one, the FAQ page would be more comprehensive than theirs. Lol.

Firmware update. Yes. We need it.

Apr 17, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #4,889 of 13,503

Quote:

The output impedance of the DX100 is less than one Ohm, so it is equally capable of driving IEMs as well as full-sized cans. Something like the DACport has an output impedance of 10ohm, thus rendering it useless with most easily driven cans and especially multidriver IEMs.

That, combined with my own findings leads me to respectfully disagree that it is better for full sized cans than IEMs. Unlike many popular amps, it does not have a poorly designed output stage and is thus fully capable of handling low impedance loads as well as high impedance without deteriorating sound quality. The fact that you, personally, prefer to use it with full sized cans does not mean that it is better for full size cans than IEMs. Thanks to the high output power and low output impedance, there is no such thing as "ohm sweetspot". It will handle all cans well. Wether you like the sound from a certain set of headphones when they're powered properly, without distortion, is a different matter.

I think you may have misinterpreted what I have written and of course I am writing about my findings and not the definitive. I have not said the DX100 sounds bad in anyway, I have also always been of the opinion that it is the best sounding DAP by far driving IEM and Headphones, and it is my Uber portable solution!

The DX100 is rated at 8-600ohms. Within this range there must be a sweet spot as I don't believe any amp can drive the full range equally well. The internal amp has power in abundance but not so much on the finesse front comparatively. I have 4 portable amps and 3 does a better job sonically of driving IEMs but only one on Headphones. This leads me to believe that the DX100 does a better job driving Headphones. I don't actually prefer to use it with full size cans as the DX100 is best utilized as a transport then as source.

With all my components, I enjoy wringing every last ounce of performance from it. For me, to drive cans optimally and for the best sonic rewards, an external amp will be required and hence, my decision to purchase the Violectric V200 and V800 DAC, just as I believe that IEMs sounds best sourced by the DX100 and driven by the Triad L3.

Apr 17, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #4,890 of 13,503

Yes you do not need it because you are very smart but we dim wits need it. thanks!
Quote:
I don't think I would need the manual but it will be a great help to many others. Maybe by the time they compiled one, the FAQ page would be more comprehensive than theirs. Lol.

Firmware update. Yes. We need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back