iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Apr 18, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #4,906 of 13,503
Yes, I wasn't really paying much attention, I have no intention of using my Shure 535s with the IBasso, but I just tried them and happened to notice hiss. I'll go back and experiment when I have more time. At a guess, and it is just a guess, the charger was ON.

Quote:

I believe we might find an explanation here, my friends... The cost of great detail retrieval is that any hiss or noise on the recording will be thrown at you mercilessly.

Apr 18, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #4,907 of 13,503
On the tracks where I notice hiss, it makes absolutely no difference if the charger is on or not. This is with my Atrios, I'll report back once I get my Merlins. 

Apr 18, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #4,910 of 13,503
So I have a stupid problem with cover art and i'm probably overlooking something. (I am using cover art downloader) When I have my SD card mounted all my artwork shows up fine but when it's unmounted the artwork on my internal memory music disappears. Do i just have to move the cover app to internal memory or something

Apr 18, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #4,911 of 13,503
So I have a stupid problem with cover art and i'm probably overlooking something. (I am using cover art downloader) When I have my SD card mounted all my artwork shows up fine but when it's unmounted the artwork on my internal memory music disappears. Do i just have to move the cover app to internal memory or something

I don't use that app, but my guess is that it uses it's own cache of cover art which it then links to music files as a running PROCESS, not as actual embedded artwork. Consequently, if my suspicion is correct (which it may not be), then if the app is installed on the SD card, then removal of the SD card would both remove the cache of cover art AND remove the app, the combination of these two things preventing the display of such non-embedded cover art.

Also, if the above is correct (and again, I stress it might not be), then uninstalling the program would also probably result in cessation of cover art (unless you've found a way to get the DX100 stock player software to display embedded artwork).

Others may be able to confirm or refute the above..

Apr 18, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #4,912 of 13,503

Try going into Cover Art Downloader -> Settings

and enable Save cover art in folder. See if that helps. Though you may have to reassign the missing art once for it to take hold.

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #4,913 of 13,503

Quote:
With all these discussions about hiss, I haven't noticed anyone explicitly state whether they were/are using the DX100 via battery or by PSU, at the time.
Just think it's important to state such things, for the sake of accuracy & consistency.

Via battery & without PSU connected.
In fact,I haven't noticed anything change on hiss whether connected the PSU or not.
Just find the sound when PSU connected is a little bit planar and a bit poor of seperation,or maybe it's my psycological issue instead.
I've double checked the hiss,a little bit louder on phone out than that of iPod touch 2g,dead silent on line out.

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #4,914 of 13,503

Quote:

Via battery & without PSU connected.
In fact,I haven't noticed anything change on hiss whether connected the PSU or not.
Just find the sound when PSU connected is a little bit planar and a bit poor of seperation,or maybe it's my psycological issue instead.
I've double checked the hiss,a little bit louder on phone out than that of iPod touch 2g,dead silent on line out.

How loud is the hiss, barely noticeable not to distract once the music plays or really a HISS? Are your expectations absolute silence?

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #4,916 of 13,503

Quote:
There's a significant difference between hiss as amplified on a specific recording and self-generated hiss when the player is in idle with nothing at all playing. I could clearly hear hiss at idle with ES5's, but not loud enough that it was any bother to me, or would intrude in quiet passages.

I would second that.
The hiss is not loud instead,but noticeable when in idle or playing music in a silent place.
I'm sure the hiss on DX100's phone out is louder than that of iPod(even @ low gain)
,you'll probably notice that when compare the sound from phone out and line out with sensitive IEMs.

After a long term experience with DX100 and back to iPod,I found the sound dull and rough...

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #4,917 of 13,503

Quote:

How loud is the hiss, barely noticeable not to distract once the music plays or really a HISS? Are your expectations absolute silence?

Are your expectations absolute silence?

Maybe yes....  
I expect it to be dead silent for being a reference DAP,and I think the hiss would drain a bit enjoyment when listening to music..
The hiss is just a bit louder than my iPod touch 2g.
The hiss exists no matter what music file I listen to,and I don't think it's the problem of the source.

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #4,918 of 13,503
Was your Ipod more enjoyable then the hissing DX100? If yes then if the hiss cannot be removed from the DX100 then the Ipod will make you more happier.
Quote:

Are your expectations absolute silence?

Maybe yes....  
I expect it to be dead silent for being a reference DAP,and I think the hiss would drain a bit enjoyment when listening to music..
The hiss is just a bit louder than my iPod touch 2g.
The hiss exists no matter what music file I listen to,and I don't think it's the problem of the source.

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #4,919 of 13,503
It is really a mystery.

Listening out from DX100,

Hisses on JH16:
samuel219

No hiss on JH16 & JH13:
turokrocks
jamato8

Hisses on ES5:
jax

No hiss on ES5:
me (uelover)

Assuming that we all define 'hiss' as a machine self-generated noise.

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #4,920 of 13,503
Do you want to be happy? Are you happy now? If you are not happy then you are not doing what you need to be doing to be happy so maybe you are more used to not doing what you need to be happy because you are happy being sad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back