iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Apr 17, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #4,861 of 13,503
While I've VERY pleased with how the HE-500's sound with the DX100, I still prefer Lyr at the desktop. After first listen with the HE-500's, I seriously had the thought that I could give up my desktop rig at the office and just use the DX100. Until I switched back to Lyr. The power of Lyr translates to more space and air (dynamics). While the DX100 does incredibly well for it's size/form factor/power output, it's really not gonna perform on the level of a good desktop amp. Now as usual, this is MHO and I have to say - if I didn't have a Lyr/Bifrost sitting here at work, I wouldn't feel the need to get one after listening to the DX100/HE-500 combo.

Quote:
At least with the HE-500, I really don't see the need for the Lyr. Listening at "above healthy" levels, the DX100 drove the HE-500 with great authority and control while retaining beautiful clarity. This was at a volume setting of 230, just above half power on high gain. Alas, I haven't heard the Lyr so it might very well contribute some sort of magic that I'm not aware of - I'm not trying to tell anyone what sounds good, just wondering out loud, that's all.

Apr 17, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #4,862 of 13,503
Along the same lines, as with other desktop DAC/amps, I find as good as the DX100 maybe, it's still not ready to be a desktop source/amp replacement yet. As with your Schiit Lyr, my Benchmark DAC1 Pre still has an edge over the DX100.

However, to me, what the DX100 says is that you can almost get to a desktop standard in a portable.

Apr 17, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #4,865 of 13,503

comparing a portable player to a home non portable heavy monster says alot about the DX100.

Quote:
While I've VERY pleased with how the HE-500's sound with the DX100, I still prefer Lyr at the desktop. After first listen with the HE-500's, I seriously had the thought that I could give up my desktop rig at the office and just use the DX100. Until I switched back to Lyr. The power of Lyr translates to more space and air (dynamics). While the DX100 does incredibly well for it's size/form factor/power output, it's really not gonna perform on the level of a good desktop amp. Now as usual, this is MHO and I have to say - if I didn't have a Lyr/Bifrost sitting here at work, I wouldn't feel the need to get one after listening to the DX100/HE-500 combo.

Apr 17, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #4,866 of 13,503
You need to try the 1964 quads. They are seriously good and will change your mind about iems and the DX100 as a viable combo.

Quote:
I had the same phenomenon with my DX100. However, it wasn't as extreme as the Triad L3 at around 500 hours, I thought I had damaged it as the sound was so dead in signature. I ran it over night, thinking I would return it the next day if it sounded the same and to my astonishment when I next listened, it was like a different beast! The sound opened up completely!

My DX100 is sounding pretty stunning now as a source to the L3 for IEMs and as a DAP to recently purchased Headphones. It has been running literally non stop since purchased, and the sound has completely fallen into place. The edginess has disappeared completely. The balance and coherency is tops! The soundstaging is beyond belief, incredible in all three axis. On some well recorded music it is projecting 1/2ft in front, beyond shoulders in width and around 1 1/2ft behind and this is with the red SE535ltd with a silver/gold hybrid cable, which supposedly don't image so well!!!  

Also, the DX100's amp section besides the Triad, is the only amp that can drive the 300ohm HD650 convincingly, all my other 3 portable amps failed miserably, including the 2Stepdance. These amps all lost grip and control of the bass, sounding muddled, flat and woolly at best. With Headphones the DX100 is closing the gap with the Triad L3 sound quality wise and again supports my observations that it is tuned towards Headphones rather than IEMs. I am still looking for the sweet spot regarding ohms. I should be receiving my pair of Shure SRH 1840 by this weekend hopefully, and that is rated at 65ohm. The DT1350 has a rating of 80ohm and sounds good with the DX100 having a total grip and control over them. I will be buying many more Headphones and IEM to experiment with, the list is building..........
tongue_smile.gif

It would be interesting to see how the DX100 move forward from here! I will be getting lots of cables for Headphones and with the supreme ability of the DX100 in detail retrieval, I think I will get the sonics that I wish for via the DX100 and used as a bedside rig!!! 

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #4,867 of 13,503
since i didn't buy the bifrost. will the dac of dx100 be good enough for a dx100+lyr combo to he500? can you hear a significant difference listening with the he500 straight to dx100 compared with dx100+lyr to he500?

Apr 17, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #4,869 of 13,503
Girls Generation is selling hers

Apr 17, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #4,870 of 13,503

Quote:

My thoughts exactly. I'm sure there are amps that will add something positive to the sound over the built-in amp, but the sound straight from the DX100 has killed my plans of getting a desktop rig... For now, at least.

Apr 17, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #4,873 of 13,503
Quote:
That's a bit steep, but consider that it comes with a custom, sound enhancing case unavailable anywhere else.

And with all of his phones so that it is ready to go. . . . seems like a good deal. 

The carrying case I show images of on the first page, as well as the belt case are both working out great. The case that allows for the storage of micro SD cards and a set of IEM's along with a few wires and Koss KSC 75's is a bargain. 

Apr 17, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #4,874 of 13,503

Quote:

The output impedance of the DX100 is less than one Ohm, so it is equally capable of driving IEMs as well as full-sized cans. Something like the DACport has an output impedance of 10ohm, thus rendering it useless with most easily driven cans and especially multidriver IEMs.

That, combined with my own findings leads me to respectfully disagree that it is better for full sized cans than IEMs. Unlike many popular amps, it does not have a poorly designed output stage and is thus fully capable of handling low impedance loads as well as high impedance without deteriorating sound quality. The fact that you, personally, prefer to use it with full sized cans does not mean that it is better for full size cans than IEMs. Thanks to the high output power and low output impedance, there is no such thing as "ohm sweetspot". It will handle all cans well. Wether you like the sound from a certain set of headphones when they're powered properly, without distortion, is a different matter.

I agree with you to an extent. I still feel my DACport LX does a better job than the DX100 does. Its more transparent and open. But it is a pure DAC and of course I feed it to my O2 amp. I wouldn't waste money on the DACport. It's a downgrade from the LX and more expensive. The amp section in the DACport is its weak point and as you said the output impedance ruins things.

Apr 17, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #4,875 of 13,503
Still enjoying the DX100 on a daily basis. Walking the dog this evening I grabbed my old iGrados (quartermodded) for a listen with the iBasso. Very enjoyable synergy from such a cheap phone. The DX100 really gripped the bottom notes and carried the tune. Best i've ever heard the little iGrados sound.

Earlier today I pulled the trigger on Chris_Himself's HE-500s and Silver Dragon V3 cable. My first venture into high-end cans and orthos for that matter. I should imagine it'll be up to a week before they arrive here in the UK, but I cannot wait to hook them up to the DX100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back