Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Aug 6, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #2,146 of 3,700
I have just received my new shiny silver U12. It came with the 2.26.0 drivers which loaded on Windows 10 with no issues - did not have to go into unsigned mode. I have configured JRiver for 2xDSD Dop output and d128 displays on the U12 as expected. However I am not getting any signal (sound) from the SPDIF and Optical outputs? Would this be a faulty device or am I missing something?

Spdif outputs support only pcm.
You have to connect the u12 to your dac with a i2s cable (a hdmi cable).
The dsd streams only flow through i2s as m0reilly said.

Aug 6, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #2,147 of 3,700
Spdif outputs support only pcm.
You have to connect the u12 to your dac with a i2s cable (a hdmi cable).
The dsd streams only flow through i2s as m0reilly said.

I have read somewhere that U12 S/PDIF supports DSD64 DoP as well.
As I do not have a DAC that accepts DSD64 DoP through S/PDIF input, I cannot confirm this.
Can anybody check with DAC-X12/X20?  I am quite sure these Gustard DACs accept DSD64 DoP from S/PDIF input.
DSD128 DoP is anyway not supported, as it needs 354.8kHz PCM which is out of S/PDIF scope.

Aug 6, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #2,148 of 3,700
  I have read somewhere that U12 S/PDIF supports DSD64 DoP as well.
As I do not have a DAC that accepts DSD64 DoP through S/PDIF input, I cannot confirm this.
Can anybody check with DAC-X12/X20?  I am quite sure these Gustard DACs accept DSD64 DoP from S/PDIF input.
DSD128 DoP is anyway not supported, as it needs 354.8kHz PCM which is out of S/PDIF scope.

Hello Minorisuke, this is definitely true! Still, DoP is PCM. It's a trick to let dsd flow over PCM packets.
And, one can also take advantage of this feature to play dsd on players/streamers which do not support DSD natively. For example, the are reports of getting the Logitech SqueezeBox to play dsd using FLAC files containing DoP... :)

As you say, not all dacs which support DoP do necessarily support DoP on Coaxial output.
Most are reported to support DoP over USB os I2S.

Aug 6, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #2,149 of 3,700
Has anybody tried to install the driver for the MX-U8 under Windows ten? I just realized that my new Windows 10 machine due today may actually not groove to the drivers. Any input thoughts are welcome. Cheers.

Aug 6, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #2,151 of 3,700
  you may have to set windows 10 to 'test mode' to allow installation.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff553484%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Thanks for the link, cheers.

Aug 6, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #2,152 of 3,700
Does the u12 use USB inline power? Or only the USB signal? I'm wondering if it could benefit from a linear power source to the USB.maybe a dumb question. But I'm fairly new to this u12. Just got my modded u12 done and letting it burn in for 5 days first.

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #2,153 of 3,700
Does the u12 use USB inline power? Or only the USB signal? I'm wondering if it could benefit from a linear power source to the USB.maybe a dumb question. But I'm fairly new to this u12. Just got my modded u12 done and letting it burn in for 5 days first.

It only uses the USB 5V to switch a relay inside the U12, letting it know it's connected. Apparently a few people have looked into this and that's the only function of the 5V rail here. I however do power my U12 with an iFi iUSBPower and find it beneficial. I bet it's not as beneficial as swapping the power caps, clocks, or ripping out the built in toroidal though...

Aug 7, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #2,154 of 3,700
  It only uses the USB 5V to switch a relay inside the U12, letting it know it's connected. Apparently a few people have looked into this and that's the only function of the 5V rail here. I however do power my U12 with an iFi iUSBPower and find it beneficial. I bet it's not as beneficial as swapping the power caps, clocks, or ripping out the built in toroidal though...

Upon inspection USB +5V is also connected to the XMOS chip USB_VBUS pin.  Besides the relay this voltage doesn't really power anything as the XMOS  just uses it to detect presence of USB cable connection.  But it is connected to the chip.  I also use a linear +5V supply to power USB to great advantage of not only the U12 but other USB sources as well. 

Aug 8, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #2,155 of 3,700

Upon inspection USB +5V is also connected to the XMOS chip USB_VBUS pin.  Besides the relay this voltage doesn't really power anything as the XMOS  just uses it to detect presence of USB cable connection.  But it is connected to the chip.  I also use a linear +5V supply to power USB to great advantage of not only the U12 but other USB sources as well. 

Interesting news. That makes a bit more sense why using mine with my iUSBPower sounds better. I also wondered about that virtual ground function on the iUSBPower. I played around with it a bit when I got the thing, thought it was possible that I heard a difference and just left it to whichever setting. Couldn't really say though. Any of you guys ever use the iUSBPower and actually prefer one ground setting over the other?

Aug 8, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #2,156 of 3,700
Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 8.1 x64 went fairly smooth for me.   I had to reload JRiver MC 20 as I got a pop-up stating it was installed on another operating system.  Probably a security issue but the reinstall found the old key and functions OK.  Foobar2000 is OK after telling security a Foobar component wasn't a security threat.  Audio seems to sound the same as my WIndows 8.1 experience. 

I did not need to reload any drivers (2.26) for the U12.   As a matter of fact my U12 unit #1 with the flakey USB connection hasn't dropped out all day.  I've gone from Foobar, JR MC, Web, to games and the U12 has hung in all day.  So the Windows 10 upgrade wasn't that big a deal from Win 8.1.

Aug 9, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #2,157 of 3,700
Sorry for being a noob but I have an old DAC that's 20 bit and only takes 48kHz so I was wondering what this DAC can do for me. Will this allow me to play 24bit music and also DSD tracks or does my DAC have to have something else to allow me to do both? The DAC is an ADCOM GDA700 by the way

Thanks.

Aug 9, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #2,158 of 3,700
the u12 will add its inherent enhancements (saber sharp/wide soundstage) to your existing dac. in fact, this is what it can do best, and at its price point, it is definitely  worth a go. etched detail retrieval/wide as can be stage is its signature. no native dsd (your existing dac will be the limit here), and dop on your dac's inputs...meh, but the effect overall could be quite desirable... 

Aug 9, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #2,159 of 3,700
For the past 6 months since I got my new computer I have been wondering why Foobar2000 WASAPI had perceived lower volume that JRiver MC.  Seems Foobar2000 defaults to "ReplayGain" which is a constant loudness mode squashing dynamic range for uniform program level.  

To turn this feature OFF in Foobar go the Preferences (Ctrl-P) -> Playback  and under the Processing tab select "none" (default is  "apply gain"). .  Gain now the same as J River MC.

​ ​ 

Aug 9, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #2,160 of 3,700
Sorry for being a noob but I have an old DAC that's 20 bit and only takes 48kHz so I was wondering what this DAC can do for me. Will this allow me to play 24bit music and also DSD tracks or does my DAC have to have something else to allow me to do both? The DAC is an ADCOM GDA700 by the way

Thanks.

The U12 is not a DAC, its a USB converter which allows a user to take the USB coming from the computer and output via  different interface such as AES to the DAC. Unless I am way off, there is zero DAC functionality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back