Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Aug 9, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #2,161 of 3,700
The U12 is not a DAC, its a USB converter which allows a user to take the USB coming from the computer and output via  different interface such as AES to the DAC. Unless I am way off, there is zero DAC functionality.

Sorry I meant to say USB interface. I know it's not a DAC, I was gonna use this in conjunction to my current DAC and was wondering what sonic advantages it would bring, that is if any, and how. I would think it should be transparent but apparently not?

Aug 9, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #2,162 of 3,700
i'd try it, as your dac has been quite popular over the years. it will be a sort of inexpensive 'refresh'. i will have one for sale shortly. if still interested, please pm me re unit. i went with a hydra z, but am using it with an nos ladder dac, as these latest usb bridges can bring some clarity/varied tonality that may have not been available when your adcom was in its prime.

Aug 10, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #2,163 of 3,700
  For the past 6 months since I got my new computer I have been wondering why Foobar2000 WASAPI had perceived lower volume that JRiver MC.  Seems Foobar2000 defaults to "ReplayGain" which is a constant loudness mode squashing dynamic range for uniform program level.  

To turn this feature OFF in Foobar go the Preferences (Ctrl-P) -> Playback  and under the Processing tab select "none" (default is  "apply gain"). .  Gain now the same as J River MC.

​ ​ 

Yea, I had this same issue with foobar. I never could get my headphones up to a decent volume level for certain classical music. But I moved up to jriver and haven't really used foobar much since then. Replay gain messes stuff up for sure.

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #2,164 of 3,700
My U12 unit #1 still displays the issue where USB will drop out and no sound output.  The front panel displays " - - - -" in this mode.  Requires a power cycle and computer restart to get going again.   It takes hours for this to happen and has done this since day one.  I reworked U12 unit #2 this past weekend and it has stayed up and running for 2 days straight.  Fingers crossed.

I like the U12 but there is no support for the product if it fails.  But between the two U12s and mods I have about $400 invested and still fairly cheap for good USB performance.  I'll do another comparison with the Off Ramp 5 after #2 burns in for a while.   

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #2,165 of 3,700
Sorry I meant to say USB interface. I know it's not a DAC, I was gonna use this in conjunction to my current DAC and was wondering what sonic advantages it would bring, that is if any, and how. I would think it should be transparent but apparently not?

No worries brother. I guess how effective the U12 will be depends on your existing DAC. Does it have USB input already? If so, does it sound good to you and perform well eg, no drop outs, no noise etc. I went with the Melodius MX-U8 myself opting to go AES into my DAC, but while it sounds excellent, I can't tell if it sounds better. That alone suggests to me that if there are sound quality improvements with a converter, they are quite minor (at least in my case).

Try the MX-U8 if you can afford to gamble on either units. Now if money is tight for you and your current setup is fine, consider skipping the converter altogether. In my case, the money for the U8 wasn't significant and I simply wanted to try this out of curiosity. Sounds better? Really can't say so with any certainty myself.

Aug 10, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #2,166 of 3,700
Hi All,

FYI:

Tomorrow Hydra-Z will be shipped to me 
bigsmile_face.gif

It's a new device so it needs burn-in time.

I'll keep you guys posted 
wink_face.gif

Regards,
Alex

Aug 11, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #2,167 of 3,700
Still waiting for the U12 to burn in. So far so good. Will leave my opinion unknown for now.

I've got some new upgrades on the way that I hope will help overall and will report soon.

I will have linear power for everything soon.

but even now the U12 is being powered with usb linear power. but will have a A/C regenerator and will have it fully powered with super clean power.
PS Audio PS300 multiwave 2.

Aug 11, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #2,168 of 3,700
  For the past 6 months since I got my new computer I have been wondering why Foobar2000 WASAPI had perceived lower volume that JRiver MC.  Seems Foobar2000 defaults to "ReplayGain" which is a constant loudness mode squashing dynamic range for uniform program level.  

To turn this feature OFF in Foobar go the Preferences (Ctrl-P) -> Playback  and under the Processing tab select "none" (default is  "apply gain"). .  Gain now the same as J River MC.

​ ​ 

Nice Tip -Thanks!  I'm liking WASAPI in Win 7 pro and the M2TEch 3.0 Thesycon drivers.  Seems a bit more dynamic then the Melodious KS or Oppo ASIO

Aug 11, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #2,170 of 3,700
A new player on the block!  Breeze audio. Looks very good - may give one a try.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/XMOS-USB-Digital-Interface-0-1PPM-DSD-PCM-Digital-Audio-Hifi-System-32B-384khz/271948361421?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3Dfa15fbfbb1f1401688d874e9496a8bf9%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D1116463

Aug 11, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #2,171 of 3,700
Oh Yeah!  Free trail?  Did you get the ZPM as well? :popcorn:

Hi Bob,

I did send AudioByte manufacturer an email, Dutch importer " knooppuntaudio.nl " responded in a timely fashion and informed me the device was on its way to him. He told me he would send me an email when device arrived. Yesterday he told me device arrived and only thing he asked was my address :wink:

Just received track and trace number!

Best service ever!!!

Didn't ask him if it was including psu, but I will see tomorrow :wink:

If it's without psu, I will test it with 15600mAh lion package.

To be continued :wink:

Regards,

Alex

Aug 11, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #2,172 of 3,700
Hi Bob,

I did send AudioByte manufacturer an email, Dutch importer " knooppuntaudio.nl " responded in a timely fashion and informed me the device was on its way to him. He told me he would send me an email when device arrived. Yesterday he told me device arrived and only thing he asked was my address :wink:

Just received track and trace number!

Best service ever!!!

Didn't ask him if it was including psu, but I will see tomorrow :wink:

If it's without psu, I will test it with 15600mAh lion package.

To be continued :wink:

Regards,

Alex

Looking forward to your impressions.

Aug 11, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #2,174 of 3,700
  Looking at this Breeze a little closer is this a swappable opamp?

Looks like it - but what function?  If not an opamp anyone have a clue on what it is.  Have not seen one like it before in these USB bridges.  I like the Muratas

Not sure but it is not an opamp.  The maker is ST Micro and they do not sell opamps.   It could be a small microcontroller or serial EEPROM.  The marking on the chip is of no help.  Besides the XMOS U8 and power related devices this is the only other IC in the design. 

Chassis GND is not connected on the AC input.

This is about as simple a design as it gets.  A plus is it appears each of the three oscillators have their own linear power regulator.   Looks like the same Vanguard TXCOs oscillators that appear in many of these Far East designs of late.  This time they are gold plated but still the same 0.1ppm spec listed on all of them .   Maybe the "gold" versions are cherry picked best of the lot.   You can buy them all day long on Ebay for about $25 each. 

But proof is in how it sounds and functions...

Aug 11, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #2,175 of 3,700
  Not sure but it is not an opamp.  The maker is ST Micro and they do not sell opamps.   It could be a small microcontroller or serial EEPROM.  The marking on the chip is of no help.  Besides the XMOS U8 and power related devices this is the only other IC in the design. 

Chassis GND is not connected on the AC input.

This is about as simple a design as it gets.  A plus is it appears each of the three oscillators have their own linear power regulator.   Looks like the same Vanguard TXCOs oscillators that appear in many of these Far East designs of late.  This time they are gold plated but still the same 0.1ppm spec listed on all of them .   Maybe the "gold" versions are cherry picked best of the lot.   You can buy them all day long on Ebay for about $25 each. 

But proof is in how it sounds and functions...

Good news on the ground.  Yes the clocks are the same as in the MX-U8.  Looks like an additional set of PS 'lytic caps - added to the four like on the MX-U8.  Case looks tall - so could accommodate replacement larger caps.  I like that the spdif RCA is hard wired vs board mounted.  It's my input for the two dacs I'm running, as neither has hdmi inputs.  I would replace that brass output - with a pure tellurium-copper one.

Nice LDO that LM2941 - Military grade
http://www.ti.com/product/lm2941

The price is excellent - cheaper then a U12.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back