Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Aug 2, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #2,136 of 3,700
Users of HDMI I2S you should experiment with HDMI cables.  Makes a difference with Master 7 DAC.  Have been using good quality but generic cables of 1.5m and 0.5m.  I finally moved the U12 closer to the Master 7 so I could use my Wireworld Siiver Starlight 7 0.3m length and makes a noticeable difference with smoother highs.  Expensive cable but the Wireworld Starlight 5.2 0.3m sounds almost good as well.  The Wirreworld Ultraviolet 5.2 0.3m is OK but the other two sound better.  These Wireworld cables were the shortest I could find at about 1 ft in length.  May not work for all installations..

Aug 2, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #2,137 of 3,700
Who do you say this?
I am connecting my gustard u12 to the x12 via a regular hdmi from a TV set.
Later I replaced that cable with a shorter and presumably better hdmi cable.
Both work just fine.

Though I will agree that "HDMI-I2s cable" -could- be misconstrued, I though my post and its reference to the one I was answering should have told you what I was talking about.

So, HDMI-I2s does use a normal HDMI cable and a normal HDMI connector. No debate there. I also use a normal, TV HDMI cable for my U12. Works fine.

What I was saying was the I2s signal is not an HDMI signal. I was answering the other user's post about trying his Gustard U12 HDMI-I2s out->A/V Receiver HDMI-in. This totally wouldn't work because the 2 signals are totally different. The connector and cable are the same type, but the signal is not, and that could possibly cause some damage.

Make sense? 

Aug 2, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #2,138 of 3,700

Though I will agree that "HDMI-I2s cable" -could- be misconstrued, I though my post and its reference to the one I was answering should have told you what I was talking about.

So, HDMI-I2s does use a normal HDMI cable and a normal HDMI connector. No debate there. I also use a normal, TV HDMI cable for my U12. Works fine.

What I was saying was the I2s signal is not an HDMI signal. I was answering the other user's post about trying his Gustard U12 HDMI-I2s out->A/V Receiver HDMI-in. This totally wouldn't work because the 2 signals are totally different. The connector and cable are the same type, but the signal is not, and that could possibly cause some damage.

Make sense? 

Yes. I re-read your post and it totally makes sense.
I did not really understand it on the first read, sorry.

Aug 3, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #2,139 of 3,700
  Yes. I re-read your post and it totally makes sense.
I did not really understand it on the first read, sorry.

All good. The funny part I find is the guy who's post I was answering never came back. I wondered how his "experiment" turned out.

I'd like to give DACladder's chip swap a try to get the polarity and phase back in order. Though I counter it by swapping the phase on my DAC and just plugging the cables into the opposite speaker inputs, I'd still like to have a PS-Audio compliant HDMI-I2s convertor. Some day in 6 months from now, maybe...

I really don't get what Gustard's angle is on mixing that, though. By doing so it only makes there components lesss compatible with other and makes people less likely to buy them :-/

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #2,140 of 3,700
Nah I wasn't gonna actually plug U12 into my receiver to see, I was curious tho I kind of figure that the U12 Hdmi wasn't the standard hdmi pin layout. I thought some one may had actually tried it that's why i really asked. Tho of course I wouldn't had used it if it was compatibility as that would be a waste of the U12.

Aug 4, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #2,142 of 3,700
Just to share for anybody considering switching to the new windows. The (standard V.2.23.0) driver works fine on windows 10.

Good to know! Thanks for the heads up!

Aug 5, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #2,143 of 3,700
I have just received my new shiny silver U12. It came with the 2.26.0 drivers which loaded on Windows 10 with no issues - did not have to go into unsigned mode. I have configured JRiver for 2xDSD Dop output and d128 displays on the U12 as expected. However I am not getting any signal (sound) from the SPDIF and Optical outputs? Would this be a faulty device or am I missing something?

Aug 5, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #2,145 of 3,700
thanks for the response. So it only does signal pass through? I just tried normal analogue output and still no sound.
Now I've got it to work - need to match the receiver settings. Thinks for the insight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back