Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Jul 30, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #2,117 of 3,700

Good news, got an email yesterday that Hydra-Z is on it's way to distributor in The Netherlands.
When it arrives I get an email to make an apointment for listening session.
Not sure if I can listen to it at my home, or at distributors place.

Either way, my MX-U8 will be compared with Hydra-Z 
bigsmile_face.gif

Cheers  
beerchug.gif

Alex

Nice! 
popcorn.gif

Jul 31, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #2,118 of 3,700
It's great to see all the new additions to the USB-DDC field. I must say that after several months the Tanly continues to impress -- nary a hiccup and superb sound quality. As I mentioned before, it beats the U12 in most every musical parameter you might care to analyze. Nevertheless, I am still a U12 fan. At its price point, it is ridiculously good with a very smooth, musical presentation. I also own the Gustard X12 Dac and the H10 amplifier, so I can confidently say that Gustard has a lock on the price/performance market.

I just received the very first review unit of the new Gustard X20 DAC and I'm thinking that the trend continues. This thing is built like a tank with design and parts quality equivalent to flagship DACs costing more than twice the price. It is just out of the box and breaking in now, so it will be a while before I can render an opinion on the sound quality.

Aug 1, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #2,119 of 3,700
Hi guys,

is the U12 fully usable under Linux or only Windows with the specific AISO driver? I would really like to use this for my Daphile ( www.daphile.com ) music server. Thanks!

Aug 1, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #2,120 of 3,700
I just received the very first review unit of the new Gustard X20 DAC

I am curious whether DAC-X20 HDMI LVDS I2S/DSD input works correctly in terms of DSD playback (i.e., without channel swap).
If you have U12 and DSD playback is correct, this means channel swap is happening in DAC-X20 just like DAC-X12, as U12 has definitely DSD channel swap issue.

Aug 1, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #2,122 of 3,700
The HDMI-I2s signal just uses the HDMI cable and connector, it has nothing to do with the HDMI format used in A/V receivers or on PCs for monitors or sound.

A better name for HDMI-I2s is "Differential I2s" because it's sending/receiving a balanced ( - & + pairs)signal, whereas the RJ-45-I2s format is like "Single-ended I2s". So very similarly, you can't plug an RJ-45-I2s cable into the ethernet port on your PC and expect to get internet or data traffic, you can't plug an HDMI-I2s cable into your PC or A/V receiver and expect to get anything compatible there. 

Given the total difference in what the cable carries and what's being output, I'd wonder if something would get fried or damaged on either end? Anyway, it won't do what you want.

Who do you say this?
I am connecting my gustard u12 to the x12 via a regular hdmi from a TV set.
Later I replaced that cable with a shorter and presumably better hdmi cable.
Both work just fine.

Aug 1, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #2,123 of 3,700
I received the Elfidelity AXF-100 usb card and connected it to the Seasonic power supply in my HTPC. The thing is that the Gustard keeps turning off when I shutdown or hibernate. There is no wake on usb setting in the bios and I checked al the power settings in Windows 8.1. Any ideas how to keep the Gustard powered on?

Aug 1, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #2,125 of 3,700
I received the Elfidelity AXF-100 usb card and connected it to the Seasonic power supply in my HTPC. The thing is that the Gustard keeps turning off when I shutdown or hibernate. There is no wake on usb setting in the bios and I checked al the power settings in Windows 8.1. Any ideas how to keep the Gustard powered on?

Maybe buy a teradak U9 linear power supply and keep the USB card active with the optional USB power cord ? Or maybe it won't work if the onboard USB isn't getting power. I thought all those settings were windows settings.
I would think those USB ports that it uses would be able to be set to wake on USB through windows. At least mine does.
I'm not familiar with the gustard u12 even though I own it. (Recent purchase)
Does it run with USB power ? Or does it have its own power supply? I will be able to test it more once I get it back from having some modifications done :)
Personally I never power down anything in most cases unless I'll be gone from home for extended periods of time.

Aug 1, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #2,126 of 3,700
It turns on perfectly, I just want to keep it on all the time... It has it's own power supply, but uses the usb power to turn on or off. When I used the usb on the motherboard it stayed on, but with the axf-100 not anymore (it is connected to the Seasonic directly).

Aug 1, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #2,127 of 3,700
Hello, the u12 is fully compatible with Linux.
I am using it with mpd + upmpdcli on ubuntu server

Great! Thanks, only sad story no way to buy it in EU :frowning2: I only found it on Ebay or Aliexpress, I hope it doesn't take ages to deliver to Germany.

Aug 1, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #2,128 of 3,700

Great! Thanks, only sad story no way to buy it in EU :frowning2: I only found it on Ebay or Aliexpress, I hope it doesn't take ages to deliver to Germany.

Hello, I am from italy. I bought my gustard stack on Kidult Online.
Quite a smooth transaction. It took some time because they have a warehouse in UK but I think items still come from china after orders.
If you choose shipping from UK, you do not have to pay custom fees. Of course this service comes at a higher price. Not too much considering it would have been impossible for me to receive the items at the office if there might have been the inconvienience to pay custom fees.

Hope this helps.

Aug 1, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #2,129 of 3,700
It turns on perfectly, I just want to keep it on all the time... It has it's own power supply, but uses the usb power to turn on or off. When I used the usb on the motherboard it stayed on, but with the axf-100 not anymore (it is connected to the Seasonic directly).

I am using the Schiit Wyrd so the U12 turns on when I (obviously manually) turn on the Wyrd itself.
A powered hub (be careful it has some good linear psu) or, in alternative, a battery power pack plus a true 'Y' usb cable should do the trick for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back