Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Jul 28, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #2,101 of 3,700
  I've been listening to the Master11 with the U12 today and not seeing a reason to keep it. As the sound quality so similar to being literally the same. I've applied a reverse channel filter in Jriver to compensate for the channel reversal. Sounds basically the same now. I should be getting the Amanero Combo 384 on wednesday. And that should be an improvement above the Via USB32.
I don't hear an improvement with the Gustard U12 as much as I want to hear something. If anything I'm going to side on the loss of performance side. 
I didn't have any issues installing it with windows 8.1
everything works great. I'm using Jriver, reversed L and R channels, and chose HDMI streaming for bitperfect. I switch back to normal settings when going back to Via KS Direct [ASIO] for my M11.

Worth a shot, but not an improvement IMHO. Likely with some of DACLadders personal tweaks it would be something special.  I have only tested for about 4 hours now, but played all my favorite common songs I know very well. There is a very very very small difference. 

I would consider paying to have these mods done just out of curiosity. And hold nobody responsible if it was damaged. :D 

but that likely won't happen. I should just return the unit.

As is well known, U12 needs burn-in for 100 hours.  Some are disapointed in the first few hours and sell their unit before experiencing its real sound.
As for JRMC output, I do not think "HDMI streaming" is correct, as the HDMI connector of U12 has nothing to do with HDMI standards (see my previous post).  I use either [ASIO] or [Kernel Streaming].

Jul 28, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #2,102 of 3,700
I can't see burn in improving the sound to any significant amount. The Via USB32 in the Master11 already is very very good. It's like splitting hairs. It's likely the U12 is better than many other USB inputs for other dacs. I'm using a schiit wyrd inline with the Via USB32 as well. 

I tried every setting to get the best sound. I was using ASIO  and Kernel Streaming.

the bit perfect option of streaming "none" or "HDMI" did NOTHING for the sound. likely it was related to DSD. The Master 11 only accepts PCM signal anyways. 

The sound was very good when I used JRiver to swap L/R channels. This was the only fair way to compare.  

But 170bucks + 70 dollar HDMI cable. lets see... Nope. splitting hairs here.

I don't know if you're using Jriver? 

Anyhoo, the Gustard U12 only looks neat, and I can't justify something for pure looks. It was worth giving it a shot. Like I said, the Amanero Combo 384 is coming on Wednesday. I can expect a small improvement with that. Many consider it the best USB interface in the world.

Jul 28, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #2,103 of 3,700
  I can't see burn in improving the sound to any significant amount. The Via USB32 in the Master11 already is very very good. It's like splitting hairs. It's likely the U12 is better than many other USB inputs for other dacs. I'm using a schiit wyrd inline with the Via USB32 as well. 

I tried every setting to get the best sound. I was using ASIO  and Kernel Streaming.

the bit perfect option of streaming "none" or "HDMI" did NOTHING for the sound. likely it was related to DSD. The Master 11 only accepts PCM signal anyways. 

The sound was very good when I used JRiver to swap L/R channels. This was the only fair way to compare.  

Anyhoo, the Gustard U12 only looks neat, and I can't justify something for pure looks. It was worth giving it a shot. Like I said, the Amanero Combo 384 is coming on Wednesday. I can expect a small improvement with that. Many consider it the best USB interface in the world.

If you can't see burn-in time will improve sq significantly, then I suppose it's better to buy some real cheap equipment since it looks like you can't hear any differences between them, sorry for saying this,,,,,

It's not for fun that the HE-series from Audio-GD have had a burn-in time close to 500hours, please ask Qinghua (Kingwa) what he thinks about burn-in time
for all the Audio-Gd stuff, and audio equipment in general.

I'm not saying U12 is the best digital audio interface on the market, but when it had it's burn-in time between 100 to 150 hours, it will definitely sound much opener and smoother. And, to compare XMOS device with CM6631A device, sq wise, thats like comparing apples with pears.

In my experience most audio equipment needs about 150 hours brurn-in time to sound near 100%. Some equipment needs a much longer burn-in time to do so.

Just let it play for one week continuously, listen again, and give us your verdict, you would be surprised!!

About Amanero, it's a good digital interface, for sure. But, like EVERY audio module, it will sound at best if it has several seperated power rails to feed it's stages, and I much doubt if Amanero interface, built-in at M11, will be provided with those,,,,,,,,,

About JRiver and DSP capabilities:

I am using JRiver 20 with JPlay 6.2 and AudioPhile Optimizer 1.30 (1.40 coming soo
bigsmile_face.gif
) on Server 2012 in DualPC configuration (KS-Ultimate-700Hz-0.01s)
ControlPC is not the fastest machine on earth, but fully optimized for audio, hardware and software wise.

When using DSP capabilities with Jriver, I notice SQ degrading, so, be aware with this kind of features. At least don't use them if you dont have a fat i5 or i7 equipped machine.

Hope you will give your equipment time to settle in, because that's what it really needs.

Comparing equipment without having it's burn-in time is like listening to a STAX SR-009 Electrostatic headphone ($5000+) with ear wimps in your ears.

Just my 2 cents,,

Regards,

Alex

Jul 28, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #2,104 of 3,700

Try the MX-U8 - it's a significant improvement over the U12.  A bit finicky - but the SQ is the best I have yet hear after going through 6-7 USB bridges.  Still want to hear the Hydra Z.  What the MX-U8 does - is bring out greater detail while still maintaining musicality.  The incisive quality to the sound - more realistic dynamics - wider, deeper and more holographic sound staging.  I think this unit is really pushing the envelope of  digital music sound quality (I have a very nice analog rig I use as a reference).  I'm using two right now in three seperate systems (one system it drives a near sota DAC (APL babyNWO) to both speaker and HP amps).

Jul 28, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #2,105 of 3,700
From my experience, 'burn-in' would make it sound better. 

From electronic point of view, all these capacitors and oscillators need 'burn-in' time to bring the device to its peak.

Regards,

Riemann

Jul 28, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #2,106 of 3,700

HDMI here is true HDMI data format and not supported over "HDMI" I2S so not surprised it does nothing.  I found WASAPI works well on my setup. 

Interesting, and will look for others to confirm about the Master 11.  Of course my experience is with the Master 7 which responds to the amount of jitter on its inputs.  You would think the Master 11 would be similar since it appears the DSP boards are the same between the two.  I haven't listened to USB32 in several years but it steadily improved with firmware released over the years. 

And the U12 does need burn in.  Generic sounding when cold.  The soundstage gets more 3D as it warms.  But again the Master 7 is sensitive to source jitter.   Other DACs may react differently. 

Jul 28, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #2,107 of 3,700
I asked AudioByte Hydra-Z supplier in The Netherlands if I could borrow one for comparing with my own digital interface,
with in mind to buy it if it outperforms my own device.

No reaction (since 11 days) 
blink.gif

Today I did send them a second email, hope the will provide me with an answer soon

Regards,

Alex

Jul 29, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #2,108 of 3,700
After quite a few emails sent to Kingwa I'm having no luck in having an HDMi pin out being made that will work with the u12. Either there is a translation problem or he won't do it. I've sent at least 5 emails asking. Its frustrating as I have the u12 boxed up and ready to ship back. But have been waiting to see if Kingwa would make me a custom HDMi kit that has the proper pin layout. It seems he isn't interested in doing that. Something sbout not being reliable or possible life expectancy. I dunno; I will have my Chinese friend contact him. Apparently I can't write in clear way to ask for what I want. I will give it one more day before this u12 gets shipped back. I'm beyond frustrated right now.
Otherwise I like audio-gd.

Jul 29, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #2,109 of 3,700
After quite a few emails sent to Kingwa I'm having no luck in having an HDMi pin out being made that will work with the u12. Either there is a translation problem or he won't do it. I've sent at least 5 emails asking. Its frustrating as I have the u12 boxed up and ready to ship back. But have been waiting to see if Kingwa would make me a custom HDMi kit that has the proper pin layout. It seems he isn't interested in doing that. Something sbout not being reliable or possible life expectancy. I dunno; I will have my Chinese friend contact him. Apparently I can't write in clear way to ask for what I want. I will give it one more day before this u12 gets shipped back. I'm beyond frustrated right now.
Otherwise I like audio-gd.

I will "red line" the schematic to show the chip change on the HDMI I2S receiver board to swap in SN65LVDS390 plus the lifted pin rework wire to enable its output.  My SW tools are at work so give me a day to get it done. 

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #2,110 of 3,700

I will "red line" the schematic to show the chip change on the HDMI I2S receiver board to swap in SN65LVDS390 plus the lifted pin rework wire to enable its output.  My SW tools are at work so give me a day to get it done. 

No sorry this method on the HDMI receiver does not work.  A complimentary chip change here (LVDS390) will flip the phase of all four signals when used with the Gustard U12.   The chip change on the U12 and yet to be proven cable pin swaps work though.

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #2,112 of 3,700

I'm not sure what HDMI board I have, the chip seems to have had the writing removed intentionally?

I would like to try  the gustard U12.

As i've heard a notable increase of sound quality with the recent install of a Amanero Combo 384 tonight. :D

It would be great to compare now. I may take it out of the box and give it another try to see if it's all in my head.

Jul 30, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #2,114 of 3,700
  I wonder have any one tried plugging the I2S from the U12 into a home audio receiver HDMi, I doubt it would work and may damage something of course I wont try it and find out and burn something out if it doesn't work but I kind of curious Unless the pin layout  on the U12 for the I2S is not the same pinout standard for HDMI.

The HDMI-I2s signal just uses the HDMI cable and connector, it has nothing to do with the HDMI format used in A/V receivers or on PCs for monitors or sound.

A better name for HDMI-I2s is "Differential I2s" because it's sending/receiving a balanced ( - & + pairs)signal, whereas the RJ-45-I2s format is like "Single-ended I2s". So very similarly, you can't plug an RJ-45-I2s cable into the ethernet port on your PC and expect to get internet or data traffic, you can't plug an HDMI-I2s cable into your PC or A/V receiver and expect to get anything compatible there. 

Given the total difference in what the cable carries and what's being output, I'd wonder if something would get fried or damaged on either end? Anyway, it won't do what you want.

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #2,115 of 3,700
  I asked AudioByte Hydra-Z supplier in The Netherlands if I could borrow one for comparing with my own digital interface,
with in mind to buy it if it outperforms my own device.

No reaction (since 11 days) 
blink.gif

Today I did send them a second email, hope the will provide me with an answer soon

Regards,

Alex

Good news, got an email yesterday that Hydra-Z is on it's way to distributor in The Netherlands.
When it arrives I get an email to make an apointment for listening session.
Not sure if I can listen to it at my home, or at distributors place.

Either way, my MX-U8 will be compared with Hydra-Z 
bigsmile_face.gif

Cheers  
beerchug.gif

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back