Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Aug 12, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #2,176 of 3,700

Good news on the ground.  Yes the clocks are the same as in the MX-U8.  Looks like an additional set of PS 'lytic caps - added to the four like on the MX-U8.  Case looks tall - so could accommodate replacement larger caps.  I like that the spdif RCA is hard wired vs board mounted.  It's my input for the two dacs I'm running, as neither has hdmi inputs.  I would replace that brass output - with a pure tellurium-copper one.

Nice LDO that LM2941 - Military grade
http://www.ti.com/product/lm2941

The price is excellent - cheaper then a U12.

The ST device is a DC-DC converter (step-up / step-down).
LM2941 isn't low noise regulator.
The taller caps aren't as good as same value in lower hight package, those caps are slower.

Doesn't seem a bad device, but not sure how it will sound. Will definitely not compare to MX-U8 (looking componentwise)

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #2,177 of 3,700

The ST device is a DC-DC converter (step-up / step-down).
LM2941 isn't low noise regulator.
The taller caps aren't as good as same value in lower hight package, those caps are slower.

Doesn't seem a bad device, but not sure how it will sound. Will definitely not compare to MX-U8 (looking componentwise)

Well not quite sure how the specs match up to the Linear LT1963 in the MX-U8 as they use different metrics:

LT1963:
40μVRMS (10Hz to 100kHz)​
LM2941:​
RMS output noise, % of VOUT10 Hz to 100 kHz, IOUT = 5 mA 0.003%

I would replace those caps with Nichicon Fine Golds - which come in narrow tall or lower wider versions - exact same values and statistics.  It's nice to have the height  - but one could always good with the shorter package.  I just happen to have the taller ones left over from another project.

In my MX-U8 I had to mount them sideways which meant longer leads then I would have liked:

But the Breeze Audio uses two PLUS four 'lytic caps.  I also see a Wima film cap - probably used as bypass.

I contacted the builder to see if he could offer a Crystek clock upgrade option - would be great to be able to get them installed by the factory.  For the cost of this unit - it might still be cheaper with Crysteks then the stock MX-U8.

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #2,178 of 3,700
Regarding the Melodious MX-U8:

It looks like there have been some design changes:

- New XO USB clock in place of the TXCO
- Addition of heat sinks on the LDO and XMOS chips
- A different (custom made) AC block
- possibly the cap after the LT1963 has been upgraded to a better ELNA (should be an easy mod)

Pictures from Gino and Sergey on the MX-U8 thread (thought I would share here as many folks have been following this unit here)
 Gino's unit:

Sergey's unit:

So looking at those heat sinks - I tried adding a quick heat sink (just modded a soldering sink) to see if I could eliminate or reduce the unlocks I was getting on my one unit.  Which in the 90 degree heat been having was to the point of occurring after 2 or 3 songs (now that was getting really annoying!).

Worked great!  Listened last night for 2 hours without unlock.

So I'm going to take a PC video card heat sink I have left in my scrap pile and cut it down to a much smaller size add some Zalman thermal paste and see if this fixes the problem.  Without a sink and putting my finger on the top of the LT1963 it was burning hot.  I didn't do anything to the XMOS except I removed the thick 3M RFI/EMI pad on top.
So that one I will leave alone.

Aug 12, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #2,179 of 3,700
  Regarding the Melodious MX-U8:

It looks like there have been some design changes:

- New XO USB clock in place of the TXCO
- Addition of heat sinks on the LDO and XMOS chips
- A different (custom made) AC block
- possibly the cap after the LT1963 has been upgraded to a better ELNA (should be an easy mod)

Pictures from Gino and Sergey on the MX-U8 thread (thought I would share here as many folks have been following this unit here)
 Gino's unit:

Sergey's unit:

So looking at those heat sinks - I tried adding a quick heat sink (just modded a soldering sink) to see if I could eliminate or reduce the unlocks I was getting on my one unit.  Which in the 90 degree heat been having was to the point of occurring after 2 or 3 songs (now that was getting really annoying!).

Worked great!  Listened last night for 2 hours without unlock.

So I'm going to take a PC video card heat sink I have left in my scrap pile and cut it down to a much smaller size add some Zalman thermal paste and see if this fixes the problem.  Without a sink and putting my finger on the top of the LT1963 it was burning hot.  I didn't do anything to the XMOS except I removed the thick 3M RFI/EMI pad on top.
So that one I will leave alone.

There's a possibility the Nichicon caps do draw more amperage from LT1963, I think that's why it's getting hot.

Nice to see Melodious is following this forum, why would they otherwise have replaced the power inlet :)

Keep up the good work :)

Alex

Aug 12, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #2,180 of 3,700
Hi all, I have some novice questions that I couldn't find the answers to.  Would this offer a big sound quality improvement opposed to using optical straight to a Gustard X12?  Nothing I listen to is DSD either so I doubt I have a need for this device.

Aug 12, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #2,181 of 3,700

There's a possibility the Nichicon caps do draw more amperage from LT1963, I think that's why it's getting hot.

Nice to see Melodious is following this forum, why would they otherwise have replaced the power inlet :)

Keep up the good work :)

Alex

The Nichicons are the HW's and they are low impedance - but since Melodious has added heat sinks to all the new units - I think it's a design flaw.  Either in the LT1963 or how it's implemented in the MX-U8 or some combination of the two.  Doubt he would have done that - thinking modders where going to change caps then create a problem.  Could be that at 120V there is an issue not found when operating at 220-240V.  You are in Europe right?

The power outlet looks like a proprietary design (marked with Melodious on it) - added filtering? 

Aug 12, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #2,182 of 3,700
  Hi all, I have some novice questions that I couldn't find the answers to.  Would this offer a big sound quality improvement opposed to using optical straight to a Gustard X12?  Nothing I listen to is DSD either so I doubt I have a need for this device.

Yes generally going AES or SPDIF RCA Coax will improve your sound qual.  Or I2S.

Aug 12, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #2,183 of 3,700

I suggest to also research the Upton Audio REGEN device.. my guess is that may offer similar or greater improvement and if not should be easy to resell.. there is a waiting list though....

Aug 13, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #2,184 of 3,700

I suggest to also research the Upton Audio REGEN device.. my guess is that may offer similar or greater improvement and if not should be easy to resell.. there is a waiting list though....

Hi Tom,

Did you test your Uptone USB REGEN device? What are your findings?

Btw, Hope you weren't in Tianjin last night!

Cheers  
beerchug.gif

Alex

Aug 13, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #2,185 of 3,700
Hi Alex,

I installed the REGEN yesterday and let it break in for about 15 hours before listening.
My first impression is something like "everyone should get one of these things"...

Besides a Gustard U12, the past year or so I have also tried 3 other DDC's, a half dozen DAC's, some of the popular USB cables.. and have now settled my system at this configuration:
Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, I5-4670t, NOFAN CR-95c, 2x4 GB Corsair, TeraDak 210 ATX LPS with separate 5V line for PPA V2 USB card, PPA 5V battery pack powers a 32GB OS SSD, music is all WAV files on SSD, both SSD's use PPA red thin SATA cables and suspension blocks, WIN2012 and AO, JPlay6, Mini, Total Commander. Ultrastream, (DAC@5hz, Buffer@1sec., Clock@10.0ms), PPA dual USB cable, REGEN/adapter (using Teradak 9V LPS), Tanly DDC via HDMI i2S to Audio-GD M7....

I expected the REGEN would not make any substantial difference, but in fact I think it was a bigger improvement than most the DDC  and cable upgrades I made... that is why I suggested to the X12 owner to consider a REGEN, even before the U12..
I am using a TeraDak 9V LPS for the Regen and the stock adapter, I have not tried with the stock REGEN PS...

I was not in the Tianjin area yesterday but my son is a fire-fighter in the USA, so those loses particularly hit close to home...
I think sometimes we take for granted all those public servants who routinely put themselves in danger to keep us safe.. regardless of the state they serve, they really all deserve our respect..
My prayers to all those affected by the Tianjin tragedy yesterday..

Saludos,

Tom

Aug 13, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #2,186 of 3,700
Hi Tom,

Good to know usb regen does a very good job, probably i will buy one too!

My father was a fire-fighter for almost 40 years so i know what you are talking about.

Indeed, prayers to all affected by the Tianjin disaster.

Regards,

Alex

Aug 13, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #2,187 of 3,700
  Hi Alex,

I installed the REGEN yesterday and let it break in for about 15 hours before listening.
My first impression is something like "everyone should get one of these things"...

Besides a Gustard U12, the past year or so I have also tried 3 other DDC's, a half dozen DAC's, some of the popular USB cables.. and have now settled my system at this configuration:
Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, I5-4670t, NOFAN CR-95c, 2x4 GB Corsair, TeraDak 210 ATX LPS with separate 5V line for PPA V2 USB card, PPA 5V battery pack powers a 32GB OS SSD, music is all WAV files on SSD, both SSD's use PPA red thin SATA cables and suspension blocks, WIN2012 and AO, JPlay6, Mini, Total Commander. Ultrastream, (DAC@5hz, Buffer@1sec., Clock@10.0ms), PPA dual USB cable, REGEN/adapter (using Teradak 9V LPS), Tanly DDC via HDMI i2S to Audio-GD M7....

I expected the REGEN would not make any substantial difference, but in fact I think it was a bigger improvement than most the DDC  and cable upgrades I made... that is why I suggested to the X12 owner to consider a REGEN, even before the U12..
I am using a TeraDak 9V LPS for the Regen and the stock adapter, I have not tried with the stock REGEN PS...

I was not in the Tianjin area yesterday but my son is a fire-fighter in the USA, so those loses particularly hit close to home...
I think sometimes we take for granted all those public servants who routinely put themselves in danger to keep us safe.. regardless of the state they serve, they really all deserve our respect..
My prayers to all those affected by the Tianjin tragedy yesterday..

Saludos,

Tom

Nice setup!  I love that PPA gear - quite expensive.

Looking at the REGEN USB - it reminds of the Schiit Wryd and the iFi USBPower device.  Pretty simple on the surface - here are some details:
he UpTone Audio USB REGEN just might be the next big leap for computer audio.
[The reviews from many of the over 700 people worldwide now using a REGEN are filled with excitement over how musically effective the device is.  Drop in on some thoughtful ones here at ComputerAudiophile.com: USB REGEN Listening Impressions.]
The USB REGEN takes the digital audio stream from your computer or other music streaming device, and generates a completely new USB data signal to feed to your DAC.  It accomplishes this by combining a carefully chosen USB hub chip with an ultra low-noise regulator and low-jitter clock.  Importantly, it does so with ideal impedance matching—right at the input of your DAC.
If you are familiar with the variations in sound quality that come from different computer configurations, USB cables, and power supplies (no, "bits are bits" really does not apply when pursuing the audio summit), then you will immediately recognize the often dramatic effect that the REGEN can have on the the connection you feel with the music.
Although the REGEN does not eliminate all sound quality differences between USB cables in a high-end system, it significantly reduces those differences. John Swenson has written about how the PHY chips and processors at the input of every USB DAC (even those with galvanic isolation) are sensitive to "packet noise modulation" and ground-plane noise—caused by poor signal integrity and impedance mis-matching.  Every USB audio source (computer or streamer) and cable causes this, every DAC is affected by this—and the REGEN is the cure.

The USB REGEN's secondary function is that it disconnects the computer's noisy 5 volt bus power coming down the USB cable, and provides clean 5VBUS on its output--for DACs that need it—via a second ultra low-noise regulator.

From all the time we have spent listening to the REGEN in our systems we can say that it is exceeding our expectations. Often it sounds like you are listening to a different DAC! Of course the benefit will vary with each computer/DAC system, but we hear positive differences even with very modest systems. The improvement is different than with a power supply or computer optimizations—but perhaps larger.

Regardless of whether you are feeding your USB DAC from a from a stock computer, a fully-optimized music server, or a streamer/renderer (Auralic Aries, Bryston, Moon Audio, SOtM sMS-100, etc.), the REGEN has the potential to carry your music system to a new level.
The USB REGEN kit includes:
a) the REGEN itself in an all black with silver-printed aluminum case (57 x 46 x 18mm); Input is USB 'B' jack, Output is USB 'A' jack, DC jack is 5.5mm x 2.1mm.
b) the best spec'ed and sounding 22 watt/7.5V/2.93A (overkill) tabletop (93 x 54 x 36mm) world-voltage-compatible SMPS we could find (use a nice linear if you want—in the range of 6-9V/1.5A is fine; or even 12V if you are certain that your DAC is not deriving much power from USB bus); If you own an UpTone JS-2 LPS, then you can consider using one of its outputs—set to 7V—to power the REGEN very nicely!
c) an 18-inch long Volex 18awg power cord to go from the SMPS to the wall (get fancy if you like, or if you are overseas use a power cord with locally appropriate plug);
d) a male/male USB A/B solid adapter plug (for hanging the REGEN right from the back of your DAC; maybe stick a block of something under it if you feel it needs support);
e) a 6-inch male/male USB A>B cable if things are too tight around your DAC's USB input or you just don't want to use the solid adapter.
f) a 4-year, transferrable warranty.

So for the claim at reclocking the data stream from the PC - it does not appear to use any special clocks - seems like a straight forward XO clock.  So that is unlikely what is causing the sound improvement.

'Cleaning' the power source should not apply to the DDC's were talking about - like the U12 (well possibly as the ground from the PC is in the circuit for poweron), MX-U8, Tanly.  As these DDC bridges have their own AC power source.

But the claim on exact impedance matching - does look very interesting - and I believe the reason one USB cable sounds different then another (some better).  Impedance matching it critical to good sound.  From the technical papers I have read - even the slightest impedance mismatch - creates signal echoing or ringing in the connection.  These wreak havoc on the input processing.  SPDIF coax is very attuned to this - I noted a nice improvement in the performance of one of DAC's (My LIte DAC60) by replacing the SPDIF input jack from the CRC gold plated brass unit with a pure tellurium-copper unit designed for exact 75 ohm impedance. The EICHMANN ETI Phonopod HC-XTC
http://www.vhaudio.com/phonopod.html.  My APL DAC uses the very expensive WBT Nexgen connector with even more exact 75 ohm impedance and a unique design.

So this impedance matching may be the key.  It's especially interesting that you experience such a large improvement in the SQ, even with the Tanly, which goes to such great lengths to isolate the USB signal (FPGA isolation buffer).

Aug 13, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #2,188 of 3,700
I noticed, both Tanly and Hydra-Z dont have output transformer for spdif and aes. Maybe they use optocouplers instead (as i did in my own dac design 20 years ago) . Could try that too in mx-u8 but again, it needs seperate galvanic isolated psu.

Aug 13, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #2,189 of 3,700
....  Without a sink and putting my finger on the top of the LT1963 it was burning hot  ....

Hi !    if 5VDC is everything these usb to spdif converters need i think that the solution of the Hydra Z is, at the end of the game, the smartest.
wink.gif

A dc socket to make people free to use the power supply of their choice ... and maybe just some buffer uF inside the converter.  Some good quality 2200 uF should be enough

Because i do not think that anyone sane of mind would use the Hydra powered from the usb ... this would be a huge waste.
Ciao to everyone
gino
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #2,190 of 3,700
I should be getting my USB Regen in the mail on monday. Kinda looking forward to it even more-so now!

I will try it with my U12 and also Amanero Combo 384

and with and without the PPA V3 OCXO pcie card.  my other one is Eifidelity internal USB.
both are powered from a teradak LPS

I will power the Regen Amber from my other teradak which is just a UV9

Fun times ahead.

Tomorrow i'm getting my PS Audio AC regenerator. the PS 300. My whole dac/amp and all misc gear will all run from it. cleeeeean power. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back