Jan 28, 2003 at 1:42 PM Post #76 of 99
Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew-Spaltro
Well I don't know what to tell you guys

How about you tell us nothing.

Jan 28, 2003 at 4:24 PM Post #78 of 99
Ahhh. All I hear are the Grato apologists
evil_smiley.gif

But seriously, the SR225 interests me. I haven't tried the 125 or the 225 out of the 60->325 models and I've sometimes heard the 225 to be referred to as the darkest in Grado's range... And I would be up for that. I don't dislike the Grado fidelity as such but it's too bright. I'm thinking about ordering a 225, say something to tip me over the edge, I dare you...

Jan 28, 2003 at 4:58 PM Post #79 of 99
Quote:

A denon and a meta42 are crappy?

Sure they are not. What kind of op-amp(s) do you have in your META. I used to use AD845s and I found them too harsch in midrange, especially with Grado. Now that I changed to OPA637, it's a lot better (for my system), but still not right for Grado. Interestingly, I found that Grado's better matched with Supermini which has AD823 inside. So op-amp might make some different in this case (unless you already have AD823 inside). Actually I do have AD823 around that I can roll. I'll report if any improvement.

I dunno,..but I have my RA-1 on its way
rolleyes.gif

John

Jan 28, 2003 at 9:40 PM Post #81 of 99
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
Just curious, Matthew, but you may have been used to listening to headphones that actually overboost the midrange, in particular the lower midrange...
tongue.gif

Thats true.

Jan 28, 2003 at 11:53 PM Post #83 of 99
Bangraman.

Give the 225's a try. To me they're not as bright as the Cd3000's were when I tried them. I don't find them lacking in the midrange. I've got a collection of phones, but If I was told I could only have one of them, I'd have to go with the 225's.

Jan 29, 2003 at 2:24 AM Post #84 of 99
Ok I don't understand what is happening but I am listening to the SR 225 right now for the last time before I ship them of to their buyer. And everything sounds in sink. The mids are no longer recessed. The highs are not unbearbly bright. In fact there on the warm side now. Am I mental or crazy. Last night I was gracious to get rid of these and now I want to keep them. Perhaps they were not as burned in as I thought they were. I don't know. I sure can't explain this.
redface.gif

Jan 29, 2003 at 3:11 AM Post #85 of 99
The biggest problem that I have with my SR-225 is not the efficiency, nor is it the comfort, nor even the 'brightness' - but it's the bass (from an unamped portable), which tends to sound a tad thick (read: a tad boomy with not much extension) in such a wimpy device.

Jan 29, 2003 at 3:29 AM Post #86 of 99
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
The biggest problem that I have with my SR-225 is not the efficiency, nor is it the comfort, nor even the 'brightness' - but it's the bass (from an unamped portable), which tends to sound a tad thick (read: a tad boomy with not much extension) in such a wimpy device.

Can you explain my sudden change of heart? In case your interested I ordered the AKG k240DF from headroom. Pure impulse buy.

Jan 29, 2003 at 2:35 PM Post #87 of 99
Quote:

How about you tell me something idiot.

Okay...

You are an idiot.

Jan 29, 2003 at 2:41 PM Post #88 of 99
Maybe your ears have been burned in by the Grado's drilling treble?
tongue.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 30, 2003 at 2:26 AM Post #89 of 99
I call 'em Grate-ohs.

Because the highs Grate on your ears like fingernails on a chalkboard .
biggrin.gif

I've had 125's for a year now (bowl pads), but I decided I wanted something less fatiguing, but not laid back like the senn 570s I heard, so I just got some 770s yesterday.

After listening to the 770s for a few hours, when I did some A/Bs back to the grateohs, the first thing I thought was, "THIN".
Forward and Bright with detail, but somehow thinner than I ever heard them before. Maybe the "laid backness" was just the relative laid back bass compared to the 770.

I bet if I didn't hear the 770s for a day or so, then listened to the 125's, my description of "thin" would disappear, because the "thicker bass" sound wouldn't be lingering on my acousical palette.

Jan 30, 2003 at 6:13 AM Post #90 of 99
Quote:

Ok I don't understand what is happening but I am listening to the SR 225 right now for the last time before I ship them of to their buyer. And everything sounds in sink. The mids are no longer recessed. The highs are not unbearbly bright. In fact there on the warm side now. Am I mental or crazy. Last night I was gracious to get rid of these and now I want to keep them. Perhaps they were not as burned in as I thought they were. I don't know. I sure can't explain this.
redface.gif

Okay, assuming that you actually DID burn them in as you said, there are two things that may have happened:

1) You got used to the Grado sound.
2) The Grado fans made you get used to the Grado sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back