Grado SR225
Jan 27, 2003 at 6:43 AM Post #46 of 99
Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew-Spaltro
Matthew-Spaltro,

what do you mean by laid back? do you feel the sr225 to have a distant presentation and distant soundstage? boring and thin mid-range without any bass impact

Yes thats right. Exactly.
smily_headphones1.gif
however the bass is great.

Laid back Grado's? That's a new one....

Distant they aint that's for sure.

Jan 27, 2003 at 6:45 AM Post #47 of 99
Quote:

Well I got a chance to listen to them in a quiet enviroment and I no longer think of them as being laid back. I guess with the tv blaring out I could not make a decent review of their up front nature. But I now think of them as being very up front phones. I am sorry if I stepped on anyones toes. It was not my intention. I am not going to change my opinion on them however. They are still bright and thin sounding in the mid range. Especially the drums.

Just saw this pos...Question: how long did you listen to them the first time around with the tv blaring.

Second thing, why would anyone in their right mind listen to a pair of open headphones with a tv vlaring away in the background?

Jan 27, 2003 at 6:46 AM Post #48 of 99
Quote:

Well I no longer consider them too be laid back. They are not by any means. What they are is thin in the mid range. To my ears.

maybe its your sources?

Jan 27, 2003 at 6:48 AM Post #49 of 99
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
maybe its your sources?

it doesnt even sound like that out of my pcdp and crappy pc sound card.

Jan 27, 2003 at 6:58 AM Post #50 of 99
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster
it doesnt even sound like that out of my pcdp and crappy pc sound card.

you probably have better sources than him
biggrin.gif

Who knows, maybe he just doesn't like the Grado sound, it happens....

Jan 27, 2003 at 7:52 AM Post #51 of 99
FWIW, I also find the 225s to have a laid back midrange. I think the same could be said for every Grado in fact up until the RS-1. I have owned/own the 40s, 80s, 225s, 325s, RS-2, and RS-1, and the RS-1 was the only Grado that really had any form of a warm midrange. The rest sound a bit cold and laid back in the midrange.

I think Matthew's original choice of words was used incorrectly, thus leading to all the confusion. Laid back tends to imply the headphone has a far off, distant soundstage, and Grados certainly do not have that. I think he meant to convey the idea of a laid back midrange.

I do not think it's seriously a case of sources or amps here. I've certainly ran Grados before from some fine equipment in the past, and Matthew has explicitly mentioned that he ran the 225s from many a "good" system before. I for one feel Grados are not nearly as system dependent and picky as some other headphones can be.

Jan 27, 2003 at 9:17 PM Post #53 of 99
You know what you are right Vertigo-1. I should have said that about the mid range. It is not as present. I have tried my Grado [well there not mine anymore] through two different pads. Bowl and comfy. The comfy were even more bright then the bowl pads were. Maybe I should have tried the other pads the extra large type.

Jan 27, 2003 at 9:19 PM Post #54 of 99
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
you probably have better sources than him
biggrin.gif

Who knows, maybe he just doesn't like the Grado sound, it happens....

I have the Denon and the meta42. A decent middle range product. Light years better then a sound card!!!

Jan 27, 2003 at 9:23 PM Post #55 of 99
Quote:

You know what you are right Vertigo-1. I should have said that about the mid range. It is not as present. I have tried my Grado [well there not mine anymore] through two different pads. Bowl and comfy. The comfy were even more bright then the bowl pads were. Maybe I should have tried the other pads the extra large type.

Maybe you should try the reversed bowl pads. To my ears, it helps a lot in midrange and sounds a lot fuller with a *bit* shrinked soundstage.

Edited: I would say high end is also better (not harsch) with more impactful bass (might be too much indeed)

Jan 27, 2003 at 9:51 PM Post #57 of 99
Oh I just found in your profile that you got META.
I'm another one who don't like synergy between Grado and META. They just didn't sound right to me.

But it might be like morsel said that META should has a lot of buffers to sound right with low z cans. Mine has double-stacked EL2001 (intended for both home-based and portable, might change my mind shortly
tongue.gif
)

Right now I use Grado with Supermini (V3.1) with satisfied result. I'll get my hand on RA-1 shortly. I've heard my 325 with RA-1 (Thanks again to Tuberoller) for a period of time and I can understand why people still want this amp with their Grado's, regardless of cheapo electronic inside.

Jan 27, 2003 at 11:10 PM Post #58 of 99
Matt, try pushing lightly on the bottom of the outer driver with one finger only with a inward pressure while listening. You may find the lower midrange and bass snaps in. If that is the case you may want to play with unbending the headband, bending it in, and wearing it in it's most extended position (you may have to use a rubber band to prevent the top tip from falling up).

Jan 28, 2003 at 12:54 AM Post #60 of 99
Quote:

Originally posted by kajohndet
Maybe you should try the reversed bowl pads. To my ears, it helps a lot in midrange and sounds a lot fuller with a *bit* shrinked soundstage.

Sounds exactly the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back