Grado SR225
Jan 26, 2003 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 99

Matthew-Spaltro

1000+ M-m-er:Larthenon Marthenon.
I have got the chance to try these phones off of four or five different setups. Good setups. Don't ask me what kind. I am not in the mood to list them all. Mmmmk.

Anyway, this is my impressions. Bright, thin, annyoing. But lots of detail. So thats one good thing and three bad. Not a very good track record. Headroom talks about how these cans have mind blowing inpact. If anything I found them too be laid back
frown.gif
So much so I almost fell asleep with them on my head. I wasn't even tired. Am I alone here?

I don't think Grado are for me.

Jan 26, 2003 at 9:56 PM Post #2 of 99
Hmm...I was just digging for some SR-225 reviews to see if they'd be better than HD580's since I like rock. I thought it might've been your musical preferences, but looking at your profile, nope. They're exactly what HeadRoom recommends the SR-225 for. Rather discouraging I'd have to say. I wish there was somewhere I could try this stuff out to see which sound I prefer more. I think I'll just have to go through HeadRoom since they have the 30 day return period. Is that where you got yours?

Jan 26, 2003 at 10:17 PM Post #3 of 99
Too laid back? I can't imagine. but hey, if that's how you see them. I find them very forward, not bright, etc.

I'd imagine you may be a candidate for the CD 3000 or the AT cans that are talked about.

How do they size up to your 770's?

Jan 26, 2003 at 10:33 PM Post #4 of 99
The 770 pro were better in all aspects except for detail. They have lots of detail but the Grado are better in that aspect. Everything else the 770 pro beats the Grado. I have got rid of the 770 and Grado. I am looking at the HD 600.

Jan 26, 2003 at 11:11 PM Post #6 of 99
The one thing I could say is if you found the 225's laid back, you'll probably find the HD 600's to be even more laid back; but they'll have better detail than the 225's in my opinion.
I've heard the AT900's and 1000's and I've thought of them as Grado's in closed phones, but maybe I'm wrong. Someone else will probably chime in with an opinion on these.

Jan 26, 2003 at 11:31 PM Post #7 of 99
I don't care about the laid back nature of the Senn. I was just making the statement that for such a in your face phone like the Grado I found them strangely laid back. That is all I'm saying.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 26, 2003 at 11:37 PM Post #8 of 99
WOW...don't know what to say. The Grados are the kick-ass cans in my collection. Best rock phones I've heard...provided that the source is up to it. My X-Cans is not...but my TA is. Go figure.

Jan 26, 2003 at 11:41 PM Post #9 of 99
meh everyone is open to their own opinions

i'd say the midrange impact of grado's and midbass impact are astounding, moreso than any other line of cans I can think of,

if you didn't find them to be impactful, what do you?

Jan 27, 2003 at 12:28 AM Post #11 of 99
Quote:

Originally posted by williamgoody
The one thing I could say is if you found the 225's laid back, you'll probably find the HD 600's to be even more laid back; but they'll have better detail than the 225's in my opinion.
I've heard the AT900's and 1000's and I've thought of them as Grado's in closed phones, but maybe I'm wrong. Someone else will probably chime in with an opinion on these.

You probably knew I'd be the chimer-in
biggrin.gif

The A-T's, especially the A1000, are sonically not entirely different from the Gratos. But I find they lack that t... I could be persuaded to listen to a Grado for a while, I'm not entirely hateful of the sound but it's far too bright and lacks real substance below. The A1000 I don't like that much more than the A900 because it's getting quite Gradoey in the mids/trebles, but I have to bow to it's superior detail, deep deep bass without an overtly artificial boost and just a sheer sense of headphoneness
smily_headphones1.gif

On the whole the new A-T's address the sonic problems I have with the Grados, are closed, built better, and fit better... They just sound great on their own, I can't really add the 'good for closed' after that statement. They just sound good.
I can see the appeal of the Grados but they just don't do it for me. My memory of the SR325 and SR60 had started to dull but the SR80 just brought all the memories back. The A-T's do it for me on practicality, comfort and sound. That's pretty much the deciding factor for any headphone, wouldn't you say?

Perhaps the SR225 is some sort of different beast? I haven't listened to the 225, I couldn't call any Grado I've had to date 'Laid Back'. Or maybe it's just really poor quality control that so many people have different opinions of Grados
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 27, 2003 at 1:35 AM Post #14 of 99
I have the SR225s (and had the 80s) and well to be honest for my type of ears (quite large) the stock bowl pads really was disappointing. Like you said, no impact or whatsoever, just crazy amounts of HF detail.

Try the "underpad" mod that's been discussed many times here... My theory is that, many people - including John Grado himself - have smaller ears which allow the bowl pads to leak less air through the pads while also being more comfortable, which allow for a much more balanced sound and better comfort. Others with larger ears, like me, the bowl pads don't exactly cover very well and thus the bass and lower mid frequencies suffer terribly. The comfort level drops to nil also.

That's just my theory. I can't find another way to explain why some would find the Grados perfectly balanced with bowl pads alone but many others including me find it amazingly bright and fatiguing... but find the Grados all of a sudden amazingly balanced and pleasant to listen to with some pad mods that 'seals' the gap between the bowls and the ears...

I mean, the Grados do have potential for amazing impact. I tried the sock pad mods in headwize and wow, although very bloated, the bass was mind-blowing quantity-wise. Somewhat like the $30 'studio monitor' Sonys. (sorry, I didn't say that, don't kill me!)

Seriously, like it was said before here on Head-fi, the pads make or break the Grados... Try the mods! I saved my Grados that way from being coldly neglected.
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2003 at 1:43 AM Post #15 of 99
Quote:

If anything I found them too be laid back

I know everyone hears differently, but this is a 1st! I think that maybe you should get your hearing checked by a doctor. I am not trying to be funny, I really think this is a sign that something is seriously wrong with your hearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back